• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Computer just turned itself off... o_0

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
either we posted at the exact same time or something spooky is going on!

But no its just started doing it again, only recently. And i know it's not doing it because of the new chip because it started again before i upgraded. Also the CPU runs at around 43C so heat really isn't an issue, could be lower yes but then its on copper grease - i wasn't expecting miracles!

the OCZ is this one posted by Grings above.

May you supply us with a photo of your current setup please? I would also replace that Samsung ASAP. Moreover "Only 43*C", um mate, what reading are you using? 43*C Idle off motherboard readings is what I would consider rather high, I would expect there would be a 10~20*C offset from the real temperatures; 50*C Idle anyone?

before I recommend anything to you, listen, please do what I say, take a photo of your System. One thing however when your dad cleaned the PC, I have to say Its probably your motherboard that's giving way, there is nothing else. A PSU would cause a shut-off but you have corrected that issue already.

Secondly, a CPU overheat will never result in a shut-off unless the heat affects the motherboard or the CPU goes like 120*C +-HOWEVER it has been proven even if a CPU explodes the PC will not shut down. It will just freeze (evidence from video of people removing CPU cooler from older CPUs without overheat protection enabled)

this leads to my third point, the dust in your system probably has overheated your phases and damaged them, thus as a result when you cleaned it you let the phases run slightly cooler. However as time progressed the phases completely went bad; like they are now. You haven't considered that the motherboard's power circuitry could be faulty-this may be as a result of using that PSU. I.e faulty motherboard.

Another solution. Replace the motherboard battery, SO many times have rather tricky problems been solved by replacement of the fickle battery. I have saved people from almost wasting their time RMAing their boards with this :D. Low battery power generally causes very odd things to occur, on my old P4S800, once the CPU decided to underclock itself, and once the CPU over-volted automatically.

I have to say I don't trust that little Northbridge cooler used on the motherboard. Oh yes, I forgot. Is your PC safely grounded? Do you feel a small current running through the case that sort of shocks you? I've had a faulty power brick cause a wide array of abnormalities before including that.

I have to say most of you guys are looking in the wrong places for solutions...

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
May you supply us with a photo of your current setup please? I would also replace that Samsung ASAP. Moreover "Only 43*C", um mate, what reading are you using? 43*C Idle off motherboard readings is what I would consider rather high, I would expect there would be a 10~20*C offset from the real temperatures; 50*C Idle anyone?

I am replacing the samsung hopefully this week - whenever I get delivered Fitseries 1TB drive anyway. And for the temps i went directly into BIOS reading and that reads the same with speedfan - and yes it is on idle not checked load yet so yea i am also going to get some MX-2 when i can, i was excited and had to improvise to get the chip in - also its on a stock cooler.

before I recommend anything to you, listen, please do what I say, take a photo of your System. One thing however when your dad cleaned the PC, I have to say Its probably your motherboard that's giving way, there is nothing else. A PSU would cause a shut-off but you have corrected that issue already.

I will take some pics - do you want all the way inside? or just through the window? And ah man - not the board!

I have to say I don't trust that little Northbridge cooler used on the motherboard. Oh yes, I forgot. Is your PC safely grounded? Do you feel a small current running through the case that sort of shocks you? I've had a faulty power brick cause a wide array of abnormalities before including that.

I have to say most of you guys are looking in the wrong places for solutions...

and yea the PC is grounded - no shocks for me!