1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My HD3850...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Xolair, Dec 4, 2007.

1. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u flash a bios that has a higher default core clock i think it extend the overdrive range.. the 3870 bios does so i assume the 3850 one will..

an 830/1200 3870 bios bumps the overdrive range up to 1500 from its normal 885 for example..

i have an HIS 3850 turbo 512 meg card on order that comes stock clocked at 735/1000 its the fastest stock card there is.. it gives some idea of what the cards will run at.. i assume overdrive will let this one clock higher..

trog

ps.. u could try this one.. i cant verify it cos at the moment i dont have the 3850 card.. at your own risk..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. kieronw3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my first post:toast:

XOLIA
    if this helps

presuming you are using a asrock 4core sata2

You will need to go into the bios and set:

PCI-E DOWNSTREAM PIPELINE = DISABLED

this will stop 3d artifacts

also bios 1.8 is available that covers hd3850 issues but i have not tried it yet

3. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Something quite... interesting happened when I tried to UNDERCLOCK my card in Saturday with ATITool. At first it seemed to handle the underclock fine, but then about 5-10 secs later the screen started to artifact weirdly and VPU Recover kicked in after a few weird on/off flashes on the screen (it went black, then came back on etc.), saying something about my GPU/monitor not responding. After a few reboots, the screen still kept on going totally white, mostly when going into Mozilla Firefox. So, therefore it was totally unusable and didn't stress it in the whole weekend.

Luckily, I managed to get myself the Club3D card I had RMA'd before, which was tested to be totally fine after like 10+ hours of intense 3D usage, and I installed it in. Did the same blinking, but then I managed to uninstall the display drivers. Now I'm using Internet Explorer, hasn't gone ''white'' just yet. Thankfully the other card is from a different shop, so I could try to get it RMA'd too and get my money back from it, perhaps spend some of that money into some new fans/mobo, to get better cooling for this system. :laugh:

Would be a bit weird if the drivers got messed up somehow...

4. bluezz New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is so annoying ! :banghead:

Got a reply back from Asrock:

5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    we gotta get rid of our shitty asrock boards, I hate this thing, its just terrible

6. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    assrock ... they almost as bad as assus

7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    No worse than Abit.

Look how many WR's are done using asus boards,and some of the highest oc's and 3dmark scores on xs are using asus.

8. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, take it easy

Im suprised that someone who uses such a crap board can put down the best motherboard company on the market, I have been using ASUS boards for many years, all the way up to the new ASUS Maximus Line, I have a formula and an extreme and they 2 of the best boards I have ever owned. Try buying good boards instead of cheap sub 100 dollar boards and you will notice that your computer actually runs good

9. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you

Exactly true, the best results come from ASUS

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i get good results from abit.. i love em.. seems we all have our likes and dislikes.. :)

trog

11. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Abit, i like

Last year I had a Abit Quad GT p965 board, and that was one of my best O/Cers I have ever had!! I had a e6600 running stable at 4ghz on that board, and I had the same parts on a ASUS P5B Deluxe and the max I could hit was 3.51 stable, it would run at 3.8 but SETI would make the computer bluescreen at random times. The Abit had much better control over the VDroop

Abit does make quality product, and I think what is most important is the chipset and southbridge, not necessarily the board manufacturer. You could buy a 85 dollar board from anybody and it will most likely suck, buy quality products and you wont have issues

12. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    what my problem with assus is thier customer service/repairs/rma and a bit of overprice

13. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS RMA problems

Agreed, when i flashed my P5B my bios failed on me, so i contacted the RMA and they worked with me a we did a XShip, they overnighted me a board and I thought all went well. Then i checked my credit card and they never credited me back for the money when they recieved my board!! I had to fight with then for a week on the issue because they lost the mobo, and couldnt find it. But they ended up magically finding it and they refunded my money. So it was a hassle but it did get taken care of

14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    hey Xolair, I was able to fix all my 2d problems by installing the new omega drivers and going into properties on the control panel and then the tab for troubleshooting, and turning hardware acceleration down by 1 tab and poof no more 2d problems

the omega drivers also doubled my performance in gears of war

if you have any 38XX card then install the omega drivers, the are MUCH better than the ati's normal drivers

I still get some 2d problems in games though, but I'm gonna get a new board in 2 weeks anyway

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
    Xolair says thanks.
  15. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Hmm, I'll look into that sometime. :D

16. MadCow809 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, im having the same problem as well.

im running a GeCube HD3850 512mb and i cant see any of the intro screens because of the flickering, it flickers more beforei can get into the game. Once in the menu, there are green stripes running down the screen, looks completely messed up.

anybody know what the problem might be?

btw my pc spec is

E4300
    P965-S
    HD3850 512mb
    600w PSU

17. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ This only occured with the newer Catalyst drivers for me, are you using C8.2's for example? I've stayed with C7.12's for the time being... :(

18. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I don't get any problems like that, that might be the car, the problems I was getting were 2d

you have a P965 motherboard so you have a different problem than me and Xolair, but that really sounds like the card, and the drivers if your really lucky

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Pity the omega drivers dont support vista yet.