1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My new build won't start, please help!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Heroic, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I understand that you used now directly the PCI-E power connectors like 1x6 pin and 1x6+2.
    Have you connected the 4+4 pin to CPU power?
    On the other hand, you say you have 2 sticks of RAM, whereas X79 can use quad channel. Have you inserted them accordingly? Try to boot with only one stick.
    Heroic says thanks.
  2. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I made some pictures, adding it in few moments...

Ikafura: Thanks for cheering me up :) The codes didn't help, all that happens is the red LED front light goes blink and dies... For sure much less than 0.5 secs..
  3. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I read in the manual for fewer than 4 DIMMs insert in the blue brackets... so I did as on the pics down.. The GPU card was inserted how you say, the CPU is still inserted 4+4..
  4. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Is it the same if there is no ram and/or video card in the system? Is there any number on the post code displayer?
    Also: disconnect everything else from the motherboard (e.g: HDD, ODD, etc, so everything what you don't need for a post), and continue like that.
  6. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same for only 1 RAM, now there is missing HDD, ODD, GPU... only MOBO, 1 DIMM and Front panel left..
  7. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
  8. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the problem is I can't do that.. the cooler is just too big :) There is no other blue bracket left then the one on the end.. But I tried to start the system with only one DIMM and it does the same.. the fan moves a little and dies..
  9. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Sorry if I reply a little late, but I have to deal with the kid in the meantime:)
    Disconnect everything from the motherboard, no fans, no leds, (you have a power led on the right of the diagnostic display), , no usb, no video card, nothing, just the ram and the cpu, and lets see if it can pass the cpu check or not. Look carefully at the power led on the motherboard (0.5 sec is a very short time!) , and also do a bios reset, lets have a clear start.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    Heroic says thanks.
  10. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    It did something different! I pressed the Power button and the fan started to rotate for the time the button was pressed.. blue LED light up too in the info panel, but after 1 sec max it all died again... I did it again to locate the blue LED and it is HDD.. I'm pretty sure VR LED lid too..

No worries about your kid, computers are not that important :)
  11. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    It worked! I've connected CPU FAN and HDD, the whole computer started up, info numbers and LED lights went crazy and after several seconds it stopped on value 5A.. it was beeping in that time.. I turned it off, which was mistake maybe, so I'll RESET it and than turn it on again and wait until all is done?
  12. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    now the info panel says E9, so it means I'm able to get to BIOS setup! Whohoo!! Thanks guys :) I'm not sure what was it, but it seems to me it was loose FAN CPU cable.. I'll try to add one by one component until I connect monitor..
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Keep us posted. I'm very curious to see what happens when you insert the card.
  14. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad things started to get into motion after all. I will be back after lunch time, and will continue to help if needed, good luck
  15. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I think I got it... it is the FAN... there are two internal FANs in the case - front and rear.. both are powered up through molexes.. but than there goes from PSU a smaller voltage input and I put it in the front fan! I got confused by manual ( http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20560/eng/DX79SI_ProductGuide02_English.pdf page 55) thinking that I have to put it in one or second.. so that's maybe it! Going to add GPU..
  16. Heroic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes! All in, all works! I'm in BIOS! so it was my BIG BIG BAD... Thank you guys, with your help, I understood more things and got to Builder lvl 2 :)
    MT Alex, Ikaruga and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  17. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad you managed to sort it out, have fun :toast: