1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Games' started by reverze, Jul 2, 2009.

1. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Anyone read any news lately on when the next huge MMORPG is coming out?

Last thing I heard was Blizzard announcing they were working on something but gave no details to what exactly it was.

Really looking to get back into something.. But not wanting to start back up on World of Warcraft just yet..
  2. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    If you head on over to www.MMORPG.com. They have a list of up and coming games... a few that stand out are...

Aion
    FF14 Online
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Online
    Star Gate
    Star Trek
    Blizzards new MMO is going to be a brand new IP (Intellectual Product)
    reverze says thanks.
  3. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Thanks i'll check it out.

FF14 might be worth trying out I'd think. Not a fan of Star Wars or Star Trek though..

I just want Blizz's new product >_<
  4. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Hmm that Aion game looks like it could be a winner as well..

Anyone got any other ones coming up or that are recently released?
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    stargate and star trek r something im lookin forward too...

and i just got invited to the ddo beta
  6. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. I just applied for the DDO..

What about LOTR?
  7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    never played lotr, it lacks pvp. but i heard the pve is fun
  8. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. no PvP that's no good.

Go try out that DOD Beta I wanna hear how it is :D

EDIT: How's Warhammer?
  9. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Warhammers all about the PVP. Same with EvE online. Solo suck's PVP and Groups are fun.

The new Blizzard MMO will not be out for quite some time. It's a new idea, something that has not been done before. So i doubt it will be based on one of their current games.

The name "Cataclysm" was just registered and signed to Blizzard for paper, and other uses'. Which could mean their new MMO name, or it could be the 2nd SC Game, or some other expansion for WoW.

Blizz Con is coming in a month or so, they possibly might release some more info then.

From what I have heard of Aion is that it is suppose to be good. There is a Beta available on Fileplanet..(Gotta purchase an account..to gain access)

What type of gameplay were you looking for?
  10. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    uill give ddo a whirl a post a review about it in a bit
  11. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Just something similar to WoW.. addictive and easy to learn. Never thought I could get into such games until I played WoW for the first time a while back.. Really enjoyed it. The grinding and questing was a blast at the beginning, as well as the PVP.
  12. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Watching the current MMO field, I really think SW:TOR is goign to be that next stand out MMO. Bioware is a great company, that has made great games, and they have a great amount of "lore" to work from. Even if you don't like Star Wars, the gameplay might be fun, when I play WoW I don't read quests, just click accept. But won't be able to know about gameplay for a bit.

Aion could be a hit, but it looks too much like the dime a dozen Asian MMO's, as does FF, but FF will have a good amount of gamers as it is FF, but I still think it's quiet a ways out.

Also got Champions Online that looks very good and will be out this fall.
  13. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I will agree with Star Wars. Definitely the next big MMO to be released. Everything else coming out before that is a hit or miss depending. FF will have a huge migration from current FFXI players.

From what i have heard about Aion is that it's a different style of gameplay. Acts and feels like a normal MMO, but has a different combat system which makes it unique.
    It has definitely been a while since anything has really shaken the waters of MMO's.

And if your looking for a WoW type game..I would try Lord of the Rings Online. The PVE and dungeons are fun and it's a pretty good looking interface. Better questing/ easier grind than WoW, same with EQ2. Vanguard Saga of Heroes has been patched beyond belief and might be a winner for you as well.

Check out www.Mmorpg.com as mentioned before. There's a slew of stuff you can find to fit your taste.
  14. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I was playing the closed beta of Aion it's neat but nothing that hasn't been done before. At least in the first 10 levels that we were allowed to play at that time. I'll let you know the next closed beta where they allow up to level 20.
  15. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    i'm looking forward to AION,but i still think world of warcraft will still dominate the MMORPG genre
  16. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    aion wast that suposed to be lineage 3 before the dev team quited and used the content to make it there own game afhter ncsoft fired 1 of the devs
    im still waiting for fable 2 to be released on pc
  17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think Fallen Earth looks cool. Post-apocalytic stuff, I like that.
  18. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Fable sucked
  19. i3uu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm lookin out for Aion. It looks pretty interesting.
  20. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There fixed that little error ;)

Bethesda is working on an MMO. Some are speculating Fallout MMO. They also just threw a bunch of money at Id for "new IP". Looks like lots of good stuff coming down the pike. :toast:
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Age of Conan, and before I hear anything bad about the game, going to say the reason it died out was because there was no way to level after 50 besides grinding. I did it twice and finally couldn't do it anymore. The combat system in that game was amazing, the only game where I actually don't mind healing, infact I prefer it, normally I hate casting and healing.

But since there was no leveling content after 50 most people couldn't take the grind and quit, then the game director quit and a new guy stepped in and whipped AoC into shape, but the intial player loss has doomed that MMO, now it's a lot of fun, with a low pop.

I'm doubting Aion will be as ground breaking as AoC combat.

Yeah, hopefully Fallut, but that would be a few years away, grouped with Blizzards new MMO, and 38 Studio's MMO. Which the 1st 2 are big names, I will cover the later as it seems barely anyone is keeping an eye on this but me.

Kurt Shcilling (yes the baseball player) is a big WoW nut, tossed around a bunch of cash and put together "Green Monster Studios"m, they changed their name to 38 Studios later. And they have picked up R.A Salvatore to do the story and Todd MacFarlane to do the monsters. With that amazing team I don't see how this game could fail, storyline should be amazing and it should have some of the scariest mobs out there.
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I read about that too. You're not the only "game hunter". lol
    I wonder if it will be based on one of Salvatore's series of books. Either way it should be great (given that they do it right).
    Remember Dungeon Lords? Great promise, great author working with them, total crapware on release. It actually had a bug that if you picked a certain skill at first level (which some classes where able to get, but most got it at 3rd), when you hit 3rd level and were in the skill selection screen there was nothing to pick and you could not get out of the screen. End of game. :nutkick:
  23. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

I can 100% agree with you on AoC. The Very release of the game I loved it. The combat, the land, the PvP was fun as hell...once you hit 50...Can't do any End-Game.

Now I hear it is fantastic i have yet to try it again. (I have also heard this with Vanguard Saga of Heroes, after 2 yrs of tweaking it's great)

Aion probably won't be that ground breaking, but i still think it will be an interesting mix between (what looks like) future tech/Medival weapons and such.

There are a lot of MMO's on release..and I do hope, that there is something that come's along that is comparable and has a large community such as WoW. That is what make's WoW successful is that community, the constant updates from Developers and such..and only a FEW companies do this.

SOE had a great game and MMOFPS called Planetside. It was the first and best MMO that was directed at global futuristic combat, on individual worlds. SOE pulled their Dev team to support Star Wars Galaxies in fear of being sued by Lucas Art's and since then have let the game flounder and eventually probably fail with enough time given.

Any game that has significant Dev support, and a good team working on it..will be worth while trying and or playing.
  24. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Oh I know, just seems very few know of it, I made a post a while back, but it got very little attention.

But I'm doubting it will be based on any IP out there, at least I hope it isn't. As anything with an IP can eventually run out of storyline (where WoW is at right now, I wonder where they will go next). But I'm doubting it will be the same as Dungeon Lords, as I'm betting the money being put into this is going to be far great. Not to mention, not only a great author, but a awesome model maker, and a guy that loved MMO's so much he went out and bought 2 massive names and made a company. I'm sure Kurt will be playing it a lot and saying what he does and doesn't like.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Well he has all the books in his Forgotten Realms series (which is a lot), but Icewind dale and others have already been done. Could be something like his DemonWar stuff. But I have the feeling it will be something new also.