1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New videocard

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EHLW1993, Oct 14, 2012.

1. EHLW1993 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the replies, I've readed all the possible solutions carefully. Now I've found someone who can help me with installing the parts. He can also overclock my CPU. That will be propably 3.0GHz then. After that I think I will buy a 600 or 700W SPU. The only thing is the GPU. Because i play FSX more than ArmA I prefer Nvidia.

I hope you can recommend some GPU's with these specs.

Thnx for the help so far.

2. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure, but i'd probably even wait till you have the 600+W decent brand named PSU before overclocking the cpu. Not too much point in stressing that PSU out until the juice is clean and has plenty to go around.

3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Stop saying that. Have an open mind, look at the video cards within your budget, analyse the performance and then decide which card to buy.

If you go in looking for just an Nvidia card, you might overlook a particular deal or pricedrop on a better ATI card.

Show us the website you are buying from and your budget and we'll be able to recommend you a specific component.

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I would say a GT 640, 6650, or 7750 would be the fastest I would go if you don't plan on replacing the PSU. I have a strange feeling that the PSU will struggle with more load though, even without external power. I would keep an eye on it and make sure you have the extra budget just in case you need to get a new PSU as well.

Edit: Okay, I just saw a later post. All I have to say is get the PSU first, that will widen up your GPU options. I also understand preferring one company over another. I tend to lean ATi/AMD. Not to say that nVidia make a bad chip (they certainly do not,) but AMD has some decent options and when you're not running crossfire, drivers are rarely an issue. I don't usually have issues with crossfire either but I know that other people who game a lot more than I do who have. With all that said, read reviews, look at numbers, and make your decision based on what others have concluded if you really want good hardware.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Dent1 says thanks.
  5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    hmm... not many people refer to passive in that way, but I see what you mean...

something to consider as far as the 650 goes... i'm not trying to say its a better option exactly... but it is an option since he did say he preferred nvidia.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13514/geforce-gtx-650-vs-radeon-hd-6770/

EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GD... $120

about the same cost after rebate, and the 2x4pin to pci-e adaptor should be fine since the card really doesnt need the extra power anyway

If he wants to overclock his cpu and still afford a decent gpu I'd say your option would be best, but if he's not interested in overclocking and wants more gpu power, there's the GTX 650, and it would be a simpler installation.

@OP, you wont really need a 600 or 700w power supply to overclock the cpu, 500w would probably be enough with a decent gpu. you really don't need much power at all to overclock to 3ghz... that is if your motherboard will let you. here's it at 3ghz with a gtx 650 (they forgot the x).

[​IMG]

I'm not suggesting to overclock with the current PSU btw... I actually think the rail wouldn't be enough in this case.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Dent1 says thanks.
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know not many refer to non powered GPUs as passive anymore. It's kinda old school terminology since passive coolers for even dual slot GPUs became available. I should have clarified.

I still feel the 6770 is the best way to go unless he completely builds a new rig. Normally I'm an Nvidia guy all the way, but on budget priced cards, AMD has better choices, unless you want to consider a refurbed or open box Nvidia.

BTW, that Corsair CX430 PSU I referred to not only would power the 6770, it's on a Newegg promo code now and is only $20. They also have a refurbed EVGA 550 Ti for $100 on promo code. I highly recommend signing up for Newegg's email subscriber promo deals if you haven't.

So for $100 (CX430 & 6770), you could affordably give that sys a serious upgrade without a severe bottleneck and get by until you can afford to build a whole new rig. Yeah you could get a 600-700w PSU and a much better GPU, but then the sys would be totally unbalanced and you wouldn't get the most out of a GPU that powerful due to the bottleneck.

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 43...

7. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea AMD does have good deals on their midrange and lower... well heck even their higher end stuff

yep... I'm a subscriber... I've bought quite a few things from them.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received: