1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[noobie alert] How to clean old paste off a CPU?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ozpa, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Cleaning old CPU paste? *update*

Heya!

I'm getting my X3 720 a new cooler for some overcloking, it's a Titan TTC-NK85TZ. Now I may have built myself numerous systems, did upgrades.. all of that, but I have never upgraded my heatsinks on my CPUs (had stock hsf most of the time).

Now all I want is a short as possible, noobie-proof instructions on how to change a hsf on a CPU (mainly how to clean the old paste off the CPU). Thank you :respect:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    You could either use a paper towel and wipe it off,
    or you could use some rubbing alcohol to make sure yet it all off

Ozpa says thanks.
  3. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    I usually use rubbing alcohol + cotton ball/qtip

Ozpa says thanks.
  4. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything I should NOT do?
    Like what if the alcohol reaches the bottom side of the CPU?
    Can the paste be hard from all the heat? (well my PC is only 2 months old, but how about a 2 year old paste that was never removed or changed?) If yes, then how do you remove such paste?

5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I always use a very little amount of Goo-Gone on a paper towel and wipe the TIM off the proc, take a dry paper towel to wipe off the excess TIM, then finally take some alcohol(75-91%) on a paper towel to finish off cleaning the TIM away.

Ozpa says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Isopropyl alcohol or even vodka will make it easy to wipe off with a tissue.

Ozpa says thanks.
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    arcticlean is the best solution to remove it with, most other things will leave a residue.

Just remember to apply new thermalpaste, but only a small amount. attach and remove the new heatsink to see how much it spread - if its going over the edges of the CPU, its too much. Try again with less.

How you apply new paste is more important than the paste you use!

Ozpa says thanks.
  8. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks guys. I was just worried I might damage the CPU if I clean it improperly.

:respect:

9. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Whatever you do.

Whatever you do, just don't fall for gimmicks, tricks, and wasted money. A lot of companies will sell "special" cleaner which is 90% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) for a premium price. It is a waste time and money. Just use the rubbing alcohol and a strong paper towel. It will come off just fine.

Please remove the CPU before cleaning, regardless of what you use to clean it, you do not want to spill a liquid on your mobo. Also double check to make sure the CPU is 100% dry (shot or two of canned air should help) before returning it to its socket.

Ozpa says thanks.
  10. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I recommend as close to 100% rubbing alcohol you can find and quality q-tips and quality paper towels, and like TheLaughingMan suggested, remove the CPU before cleaning it.

Ozpa says thanks.
  11. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    You could also use aceton.

the stuff your mom/girlfriend/sister/aunt/father uses to remove nail varnish

12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I always wipe it off with toilet paper and after I get all the excess gunk off I break out the cotton balls and 91% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). Cotton balls only work for processors because of the heatspreader though... anything else (like gpus) don't have heatspreaders so there's a lot of circuits near the die to get cotton stuck on so I use a q-tip for that... still a ball of cotton, only much more precice

Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I use tim-clean coz i lurve the smell of it.Otherwise a quick wipe with a bit of bog roll.

14. jaredudu

jaredudu

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt worry to much about using isopropyl alcohol

[​IMG]

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    fake much? the pan would short it out

Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  16. jaredudu

jaredudu

Thanks Received:
  17. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    WOW is all I can say to that. I guess isopropyl alcohol does not carry a current. I mean, damn.

The pan is coated. It is non-stick which means the outer coating should be Teflon which is plastic.

18. jaredudu

jaredudu

Thanks Received:
    Im going to have a Sempron 1800+ and a mobo that is starting to die, so maybe I'll test it out sometime :)

19. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a project for you Jaredudu. I have seen Grease and cooking oil cooled rigs, but alcohol is a new one.

20. Davidelmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should preferably use something like filter paper that won't leave residue or small fibres on the CPU/heatsink

Tissue paper, paper towels and cotton buds will all leave bits of fluff and fibres behind. If you want the best performance, both surfaces need to be totally clean - no residue, fibres or even fingerprints.

Personally I wear latex gloves (no residue/fingerprints) and used a dab of isopropyl alcohol on the filter paper, then rub. Rub in one direction so you get the old paste OFF, not just spread it around by rubbing in circles. Do it once, let it dry, then repeat a few more times. When the filter paper looks clean after wiping, you're done.

Have a look at this guide:
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=2

and this:
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

Your titan is a heat-pipe direct touch cooler, so you'll need a little more paste to fill in the gaps between the pipes and the heatsink itself. Have a look at the above application methods. Personally I found that two lines worked best.

21. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, great stuff Davidelmo :toast:

22. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Update

So... me and my gf have installed the new HSF succesfully today! :toast:
    I must say some parts of the installation would be a little annoyingly diffiult alone.
    I've done some pictures with my Nokia N73 phone since I don't own a camera right now.

My PC old CPU hsf, unplugged mobo and removed video card:
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/34792183.jpg

Took off my old hsf, cleaned off the CPU paste:
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/94068414.jpg

Comparison in size: my old hsf, new hsf and video card on right.
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/77613678.jpg

Tried my new hsf how it would look installed (OMG huge monster):
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/69884093.jpg

Inserted mobo with the installed hsf back to mobo(not screwed in, unconnected):
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/99992480.jpg

Everything installed and connected, a picture before boot up (case bottom).
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/74022868.jpg

*same picture description as above* (but case top)
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/20811354.jpg

A coupel of centimeters higher and it wouldn't have fit :D
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/52206580.jpg

100% load temp testing. I was getting stable 34-35c max during the period, while my stock AMD hsf was topping 46-47c (9min period, same load). I bet it will go 2-3 higher once the CPU gets used to the paste and all.
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/95016921.jpg

This is just curious to me, why they have a temp reader on every core is understandable, but then there's an additional temp reading of all 3 cores combined? (I'm always measuring that "general" CPU temp, no core1,2,3)
    http://www.ipix.lt/images/44748252.jpg

Well everything went great as I've said already. Though I still have some points I want to mention:
    1) The CPU paste that came with hsf is barely enough to 1 apply try. So you have to make sure you get it right the first time. (crap, I forgot to make a pic after I squeezed 2 lines of paste on the CPU)
    2) The hsf is really heavy.. I'm not sure if I want to keep my PC case standing, right now it's in horizontal position. If I do decide to change it to vertical I'll be damned sure not to shake the case in any way.
    3) I had to move my RAM sticks to the farthest away slots.
    4) At 1100-1300rpm the fan that came with the heatsink is a LITTLE louder than the stock AMD fan at ~2400rpm (reaches 2750rpm during hot situations).

Well thanks again guys who've helped me :respect:

23. Davidelmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the exact same heatsink.. honestly it's fine standing up as long as you mounted it correctly

24. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Hehe ok I trust you... but that thing is so heavy anyway(!!).

P.S. is it just me, or anyone else is sometimes having difficulty entering BIOS by pressing Delete? (Gigabyte mobo)

Last 3 times I was tapping Delete from start of the white background logo till the end and STILL Windows loads.

25. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Ok I think plugging the keyboard to another USB port did the thing.

So far I'm at 3.6Ghz (18x200, 1.49v CPU).

18.5 doesn't POST. I'll try upping the FSB with the 18x multiplier. I tried CPU 1.5-1.55v but no help.

Can overclocking/raising voltage on NB/HTT help me oc my CPU more? Or experimenting with CPU voltage is the only way I could oc more?