1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by saknid, Sep 7, 2012.

1. saknid

Thanks Received:
    What I basically, want to know that what would be the Whole system configuration (H/w) to have this "Nvidia GeForce GTX 680" 2 gb graphic Card, Like the Processor, Motherboard, RAM, and SMPS type. Please Help Me.....:confused:
  2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    whats your limit ? and where are you from ? usa/uk etc...
  3. saknid

Thanks Received:
    I am from India and the costing is ok for me...so can u help me plz....
  4. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    get a GTX 670 instead and save money. gtx 670 and gtx680 are the same. they both have similar speed but gtx 670 is much cheaper.

i dont know why Nvidia even bothered with the GTX 680. such a useless card man.

the only best and worthwhile card would be a GTX 690 after GTX 670. but its a lot more expensive :).

so get a GTX 670 or just save up to buy a GTX 690.
  5. Aksh_47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @saknid, im from India too.. tell me wats ur budget.. so i can suggest the things u need.
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Not really. The price gap between the 670 is 690 is massive. Not really very viable recommendation. The GTX670 is a gimped 680. I got a GTX680 even after the 670s released because I could, and if Im going to spend this much on a GPU might as well get the best.It might be a useless card in your book, but as a whole it is not. It is a better card then the 670 regardless of price gap.
    qubit says thanks.
  7. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    MxPhenom 216: lol. come on man. stop spreading disinformation. GTX 680 is not a good card. just because u made a mistake and bought it, it doesnt mean that somebody else should make the same mistake.

The only fast and worthy card after GTX 670 would be GTX 690. thats it.
  8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gtx 680 is an awesome card if you are willing to spend the price premium for it. if not, get a 670, if not enough money for a 670, get a 660 ti. all gk104 based cards are really good and have good oc potential, too
    Nelly, WhiteNoise, [H]@RD5TUFF and 3 others say thanks.
  9. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am not stupid and dumb to buy a GTX 680. To me and to the majority of people, there is nothing attractive about GTX 680.

Smart and wise people would go for GTX 670 instead.

unless of course you are just obsessed with having the best regardless of the benefits.......

So stop this madness please...........
  10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    With that thinking John it better to get 7950 and OC :laugh:
    crowntoy99 and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you are blinded by ignorance. Don't stereotype shit like that. People will buy waht they want. IOf the 680 isn't for you don't buy it, but don't bash it like its a shit card when its is actually really quite good. Obviously the 670 is about 10% within it and can be the same performance when overclocked, but the 680 can overclock well as well and perform even better. So go get some new glasses and open your eyes. I didn't amke a mistake. I was sick of buying dumbed down cards after getting a 470 and I had the money to spend so I got the 680. Best upgrade I have ogtten in the last 4 years.

I don't know what is wrong with him. But the shit he is spitting is really stupid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so im going to actually help the OP out

OP if you want the 680 get one. Don't listen to John.SA hes just made he can't afford one.

Intel Core i5 3570k
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
    G. skill or Corsair 1866mhz 8GB ram kit
    Any higher quality corsair, seasonic, antec 750w+ PSU

If your just gaming go with:
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    saknid and qubit say thanks.
  12. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    MxPhenom 216: u are sick of buying dumbed down cards? u think GTX 670 is dumbed down?

u r inciting an argument. u just bought GTX 680 because u couldnt afford something better for all of your life. you are pathetic :).
  13. saknid

Thanks Received:
    Thank you

@aksh 47

Yaar basically, no i havn't any specific value and i am really ok with costing (ANY COSTING) so please tell me the thing please...and also the cooling stuff too because i have to play games along with i will also use sql server and oracle db and different development platforms. SO PLEASE HELP ME OUt..

I need a strong CPU for processing and strong GPU for graphic processing.
  14. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    As far as reference goes the GTX680 has a better PCB/Cooler/clock-speed and so on. Mine is uber quiet and that's where the extra money is going in my opinion. After-market is a whole different story but still the GTX 680 has it's advantages, are they worth $100+ dollars, well that depends on what $100 is worth to you.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  15. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Ill incite and argument all I want. Get off your little high chair. The GTX670 is a gimped/dumb down card. One set of 192 shaders were disabled and the clocks have been lowered. That is what a gimped/dumb down card is. Features cut out of it that is in otherwise in the higher end flagship card, and in this case the GTX680.

You don't need a strong GPU if your building a system for a server and programming. You will want a strong CPU so I would look at a Core i7 3930k from Intel with a decent x79 board. If your going to do anything that involves compute and complex shader algorythms, don't even bother to get a Kepler GPU like the GTX680, as it is weak when it comes to compute. Look at AMD HD7970 or possibly a GTX580 if you want to go back a generation.
    saknid, qubit and Flibolito say thanks.
  16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Who on gods green earth do you think you are noobtard? The GTX 680 is a GTX 680. It is the fastest single gpu card available on the market at any clock speed attainable. The GTX 670 is and always will be the gimped down little brother. It is clock for clock slower. The pcb isn't built as well and it uses lower binned parts. If I had the money to buy either I would buy a GTX 680 every single time. Get off your high horse. The GTX 680 is a better card hands down end of story.
    MxPhenom 216 and Flibolito say thanks.
  17. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This says it all! It does not ask for your opinion on another card so if you are not helping with the original question GTFO and do your trolling elsewhere. Final warning so please stay on topic.
    saknid says thanks.
  18. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    And once again a question is asked and members start fighting with each other. HOW the hell does that help the op?
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    saknid and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  20. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    saknid, You need a budget, and were you prefer to buy from.

The rest of you stop if you dont have a suggestion
    animal007uk says thanks.
  21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @saknid

There's such a wide range of components to choose from, that I won't talk too many specifics.

For the CPU get something like a 2600K or 2700K for serious horsepower (4 cores, 8 threads with HyperThreading) and best overclocking, or the 3770K if you want the latest Ivy Bridge core (but they do run considerably hotter, which is their achilles heel). Any of these CPUs will serve you well. If you wanna go expensive and hardcore enthusiast, then get an LGA 2011 CPU, but be prepared to spend big and watch it suck power!

Get a decent brand mobo such as Gigabyte, Asus or MSI and put in 8 or 16GB RAM - standard 1600MHz modules are fine, since the RAM can't be overclocked anyway due to the CPU architecture.

An SSD is nice for a fast boot and responsive PC, but won't improve your framerate any - only the CPU and especially the GPU can do that.

Finally, get a top quality PSU from the likes of Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax etc. I recommend not going below 850W to give you plenty of headroom. This is the most important component by far, as a cheap piece of crap will cause stability issues and could even destroy your PC when it finally goes bang in a puff of smoke (literally). Read the PSU reviews from the likes of tpu and johnny guru to help you decide which one to get.

Check out my system specs for an example of what components to get.

and no, don't get the 670. There's a reason the top cards cost a lot more and you soon realize it when you get it. My top of the range 580 still performs beautifully to this day - £400 very well spent and I'll do it again come upgrade time.
    saknid and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  22. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Your grammar indicates otherwise.

We understand you have a chub for the 670, that doesn't make the 680 a bad card in any way other than your delusional opinion.:ohwell:
    MxPhenom 216 and qubit say thanks.
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think I might get a 680 and then make a thread about it just to piss him off. :laugh:
  24. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Tis not. Clock for clock it's red. (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/28.html). But it's too noisy without custom cooling.

BUT, on topic, without a spending limit, yes, a GTX 680 is great. And if that's the card you want you won't regret it.

More importantly, buy a decent monitor to savour the glory. For Gods Sake don't buy anything less than a 1200p 24" screen.

A fast quad core cpu (get a 2600k before they're eol'd). A 3930k is overkill and not as good at gaming (it's slower than 2600k and doesn't clock as high as easily).

But put your OS and games on an SSD for fast loading and speedy everything.
  25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received: