1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    yes all is amazing and top notch about this card, but the price ... Yes you know the answer..
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Max Mojo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, comprehensive analysis. Yes, like I've posted already, missing backplate is a bad habit, but marginally. Would be nice to add the 3dM11 points in performance mode.
    Funny this tautology 'if it's too expensive, it's not for you'. It should be possible to discuss the pricing and pros and cons without getting educational suggestions.
    In my personal view it's a mixed bag. I was already on preorder for EVGA Titan and could stop myself from hitting the preorder button.
    Interesting might be to imagine I had that card already built in my rig.
    Would I be happy?
    One of my 680's is about P11450 3dMarks11, Titan about P12150 in Guru3d review. My SLI P18000+. If it were for juice and loudness, this is not important for me. If it were on eye level with 680 SLI it would be much easier.
    The design is a piece of art. Unfortunately only viewable from button-up. I my case only the naked back is in sight. OK. Backplate is available later from EVGA. It should be constructed upside-down, so one sees all the beauty.
    So until now there is not enough power in that horse for my taste.
    What I was waiting for since a year was GTX 780 GK110 fully unleashed.
    So let's see overclocking potential. As the card is a paper launch, and is only listed for preorder and probably sold out before it's in the shelves this card has a touch of illusiveness. Let's see...

Holy moly: Titan is listed
    http://geizhals.at/eu/?fs=gtx titan &x=0&y=0&in=

Would like to see the number with a 3930K cpu.

Already out of stock. Just the notify button at EVGA

http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=06G-P4-2790-KR&family=GeForce TITAN Series Family&uc=EUR

EVGA
    Product Warranty
    This product comes with a 3 year limited warranty.

The warranty is for sure extentable for extra $s, but 3 years standard warranty for EVGA is related to the pricing a bit Scrooge-like. EVGA had a 10 years standard warranty until early 2012, which was fantastic.
  3. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    And another professional yet easy to understand review W1zzard. When it comes to gpus, you ARE the Man!

Now tell me how that gk110 core can score when folding. Eager to see that DP power put to ppd production!
  4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to say that it is a pretty amazing GPU. Would be curious to see how it crunches/folds...
    Thanks for the review W1zzard:toast:
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
  6. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    So wonderfull, it entered the stage with a bang!
    :roll:

^This.
    It's based on a compute chip after all, eh?
    I wonder if it'll prove to be a cheaper replacement for CUDA accelerated applications' users.
  7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    or spend that money on hookers lol
  8. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    or be clever and apply for both never settle bundles and get five games??? like me lol
    ...PACMAN... says thanks.
  9. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    >Looks at the performance graphs
    >Notices this
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and this

[​IMG][​IMG]

>Looks at 7970's FPS
    >Looks at the resolutions

WHAT THE BUTT!?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    ^ Could just be a driver issue
  11. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Everything scales as expected for the 7970 everywhere else, framerates as expected. Then BAM! it runs much faster than expected on tri-monitor. On two of the games. i.e. doesn't look like a driver issue.
    Did W1zzard misplace some of the numbers or something?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Lovely card, but I'm disappointed by the performance, since it gets beaten quite handily by the GTX 690. The TITAN name would have been justified if it had beaten it. This way, it's a little embarrasing.

It's obvious that the low clock speed really hamstrings it, or it could have easily beat the 690, or at least equalled it. Shame about that.
  13. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Grumpy cat have something to say about TITAN.

[​IMG]
  14. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    The way I see it, Titan is a bargain if you want the compute. 1/3 FP64 for less than 1/4 the price of a Tesla is money well spent.

For everyone else it's just epeen.
  15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Performs as expected. 25-30% faster then 680/7970. and about 10-15% slower then the 690. (I never expected it to beat the 690) Power consumption lower then the 7970 which is pretty sweet for being that much faster then it. The card would be perfect if it was priced at $699, as I would get one, but I guess the Magnesium alloy and vabor chamber cooler assembly comes with a price.
  16. Bruno747 New Member

Thanks Received:

Ill have to go find the quote, but it was said that the cooler on titan is not the alloy. Nvidia said it was too expensive so the titans is made of aluminum.

Cheaper cooler, cheaper card to make, cheaper cheaper cheaper, and not only are they raping people on the price, they cant even give a back plate with it. :shadedshu

Get a sweet looking card and in most towers that have a window on the case you get to see...and ugly fugly pcb. WOOO!

Anyone know anything about when amd will be looking into a 7970 refresh, or next gen? I am washing my hands of nvidia after the titan released, so amd is the only other place to go.
  17. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I really don't understand peoples deal with backplates. I don't find them special at all. As long as the PCB is black im good to go.

And yes the shroud is magnesium alloy, the cooler heatsink itself is vapor chamber.

EDIT: okay apparently not.
  18. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    from the nvidia reviewer's guide:
    i think you might be right. the material feels slightly differently and has a rougher surface texture. it still feels extremely high quality, not any better or worse than gtx 690
    MxPhenom 216 and cadaveca say thanks.
  19. Bruno747 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To me I see it about like buying a new car. You buy the car and they make a mess of cash even after you talk them down a whole load on the price. Now imagine that same scenario, except that you bought the car, it made them a mess of money and the car company couldnt even be bothered to include nice glossy paint on it. They instead put matte ugly scuffs the first time you breath on it paint.

Or better yet, buying a truck, same theory but instead they make you go and buy a bed liner, (something that should be included at no charge) from another party.

The point is, given the ungodly amounts of cash they are making on each one of these, you would think they could throw a person a bone and spend the extra 50 cents it costs them to complete the package with a clean looking card from every angle, rather than making the person that just tossed $1000+ down on a card spend another $20 from a third party to complete the finish on the card.
  20. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    The cover is not the HS

Maybe they should sell the cover sperately, should lower the card $200 :laugh:
  21. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You might want to change that in your review wizard. You said it has Magnesium alloy shroud/casing.
  22. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Titans got beaten and replaced by the greek Gods, Titanic sank, etc.

Name fits. Personally though I'd be more interested in what cut down variants will do against the 7970GHZ/680/7970/670/7950/660ti and etc. 1000$ price point doesn't represent most of the market.
    hopefully its a gpu compute monster and will fulfill the role there. Dropping 4k in a gpucompute solution is nothing, dropping 1k on a single component on a pc build? that's not nothing.
  23. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    amazing review W1zz!! Looks like i was right with it 10-20% back from the 690 I do think this should have been around $800
  24. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Amazing performance... But the price is too high. I mean it is clearly slower than the GTX 690, but priced the same. Even though it does use less power and overclocks better, it's not worth it IMO. If I sold my kidney and had a grand to burn on a graphics card, I'd probably grab a GTX 690. Should of been priced somewhere between 700 - 850 bucks.
  25. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm confused, why does setting a higher temp target increase fan noise? Shouldn't it do the opposite? Why does running the fan faster make it run hotter?