1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Feb 17, 2013.

1. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    the 690 looks like a better buy...

Hopefully they come out with like, a GeForce 'Demigod' or something that is the *70 version.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is why I always come back to TPU. The reviewers have integrity and get the job done without crying about missing parts or someone pointing out a "mistake" in the review. They just fix the situation and keep rolling like a BOSS. :toast:
  3. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan

Thanks Received:
    this really what I miss too from nVidia, since my GTX 260,why nVidia not included the backplate?

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Because the rate that it has to ramp up at is that much higher because it will have the fan running 100% well before 100*C but the fan speed will stay really low until it hits it's target. With a lower target it has more time for the fan to ramp up before hitting 100%. That's a guess anyways. It's how I would do it. I bet you if the temperature is under 80*C with an 80*C target, it will be next to silent and it's loud because it's getting to 80*C no problem at low fan speeds because the thing is a beast.
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    very good question.

the fan speed always follows a certain curve that determines fan speed % for certain temperatures.

now when you tell boost that you are happy with 90°C, it will run higher clocks, higher voltage, for longer.

obviously this increases temperatures.

you are correct that fan speed increases now, due to the increased temperature, which provides more cooling potential.

but now boost boosts even higher, producing even higher temperatures.

this will go on until boost reaches the highest clock available, or temperate reaches the target and boost will not boost any higher.

does that make sense?
    LAN_deRf_HA says thanks.
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So temp target has nothing to do with fan, and is more for clocks....?
  7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    So with this Nvidia messed up overclocking even more. I though the whole boost thing was stupid on the 600 series but this boost 2.0 is even more messed up. I like it when my card goes to the 1160mhz and stays there because I know what performance I can expect about 16% where as boost 2.0 is like maybe it will be more maybe less if the temps are right and the miserable 6%
    power target.
    I hate dynamic clocking as I've had cases where my CPU was running at 1.2Ghz in a Cinebech run because the damn thing decide that I didn't need more power. So now GPUs will do the same but without letting you turn it off. I've also had my GPU clock to 500mhz while playing saints row the 3rd because youtube was running in the background, slideshows are the best way to view mass destruction by satchel charge (managed to fix that).
    I'm really interested in the Titan SLI going against something like HD 7970 Toxic CF running on 1.2Ghz bios and then both setups on max OCs.
  8. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    They should have just released it as GTX680 in the first place, i expected Titan to match GTX690, but oh well as i stated it was always meant to be the GTX680.

Not worth $1000 they should have just sold it at $500 as it was initially meant to be, i guess that's why there are little to no games with nvidia the way it was meant to be played coz nvidia don't play like that any more.

I'll wait for next round, this is nothing to wast money on, I'll be buying a PS4 at the end of the year to replace my aging PS3 that has served me well, we are always getting console ports so a new console eg PS4 is much worth it to me than a GTX Titan
  9. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    only 5 fps faster then a non-OC 7970 ghz edition in sleeping dogs at 2560 x 1600... lulz. $1000

have fun Nvidia fanboys. ill enjoy my $200 7950 oc to 1200 core (sold the 3 free games it came with which made it $200) :)
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that's correct. temp target controls boost. fan control is completely decoupled from boost. the fan speed just changes to adjust to current gpu temp
    cadaveca says thanks.
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    It seems the world is going insane. Google asks 1200 dollars for a Chromebook, Nvidia wants 1000 dollars for a video card and Sony presents the PS4 without actually showing anything.
    valentyn0, Phusius and erixx say thanks.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that makes sense, a way to control boost more directly than setting a fan profile, but it's surprising to me Nvidia would allow that. They seem to be taking protecting Kepler cores pretty seriously as evidenced by the voltage cap in recent drivers and the greenlight program.
  13. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan

Thanks Received:
    I'll post this on my FB :)...
  14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I want to disagree with some of the people here, sure 1000$ for a GPU are a lot (especially because it does not dethrone the GTX 690) and it could have gone for less.
    Still I don't think the GTX 690 is a better buy, you'd have to deal with SLI profiles, single card even if performs a bit less is still better than a SLI/CFX solution.
    Having toyed with a lot of multi GPU setups (3+ cards) I can tell you that a SINGLE GPU powerhouse like this is worth gold to me.

I am actually glad I preordered Titan ;)
    HammerON says thanks.
  15. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I didn't already have three (only use two for gaming) 7970's, I too would most likely be looking at buying this card as a single card solution for gaming at 2560x1600. It would be nice not to have to worry about SLI/Crossfire issues.
    radrok says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Flawed math. Titan is a 26.6% increase over the 7970GE.
    You're also probably missing the point. AMD at this point in time have obviously noted GK104 (and lower) lack of compute. Without the Titan in the mix, what are the chances that AMD's Gaming Evolved program continue (or increase) to code optimize for compute shader operations with overkill looping between compute shader, pixel shader, and memory buffer? Titan probably ensures that game i.q. compute doesn't spiral too far away from non-GCN (GK104 and lower, VLIW4 and 5 ) architectures.
    As for Titan's cost...if no one buys it then you win the argument, but I'm guessing that the pricing is to keep the card from selling out and then pressuring Nvidia to divert GPUs from more lucrative Tesla and Quadro lines. I'd say the company are walking a fine line between keeping the card relevant enough to maintain its inclusion in review suites, whilst not underselling the board causing a complete sell out/no stock situation and cannibalizing Tesla sales for people who want compute/FP64 but have little use for ECC (somewhat overrated in GDDR5 anyhow).
    If you're using the 7970GE as a baseline as Brandon was, the actual percentage increase from that card is 42.9% for that resolution.
  17. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's one too many! I need one!
  19. xXxBREAKERxXx New Member

Thanks Received:
    1k € price and not even beating 680 SLI. Sad if you ask me.
  20. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:
    I saw your WTB thread:)
    You buy me a Titan and I will give to you for free a 7970. Deal???
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Max Mojo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, read about this. That's the way Nvidia is taking over US. Titan Computer is the mastermind and the GTX Titans are remote mini robots. Like in South Park. Episode Pocemon. So come on, Nvidiologists, let's donate $$$ to our Master.
    Damned, passed San Jose last year, could have taken some pics.
  22. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Will they do 4 way sli? No way I'm buying these unless I can run 4....
  23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes, it depends on how you look at it, its 42.9% increase from 7970GE, or 7970GE is 30% slower.
  24. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    with water this card would probably clock to the sky but with this level of performance

1G = a walk away from most

the power consumption is amazing though, its kinda obvious this was the card meant to be the 680, thx for that nvidia(greed)
  25. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Titan is up at Newegg.. with a Release Date of 02/28/2013, but they are taking pre-orders.

[yt]dnCd-0qJts8[/yt]
    Crunching for Team TPU