1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia is scared of ATI’s success

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by AphexDreamer, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude, nvidia brought it on themselves, he was simply disproving some of what he said, and do you really think they made the email up, i mean come on dude, i smell a nvidia fanboy;)

2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It brings out the worst on any site. Fanboys are fanboys (and I'll admit I'm one also). As such, not much is going to change peoples minds on who they are going for. You either have to keep your mouth shut when the other team is in the lead, or slag their cards for whatever faults they have (heat/driver issues etc). You like whatever team you like for whatever reason, regardless of whose in the performance lead.

3. BullGod

BullGod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if they made that name up to denigrate them, why couldn't it be possible that they invented other things too? Show me another source than those ATI fanatics and I will believe it. You smell wrong, atm I'm running all Intel. And I'm not a fan of brands either way. I'm a fan of good products. I don't care if they are made by Sony, Samsung, AMD or whatever. I've studied journalism at the University though and I just can't stand something like this. I've heard bad things about the Inquirer, well I guess they were true.

4. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you know what i want to happen....
    when ati and nvidia are bitching that 3dfx comes suddenly back in the race with an amazing card:rockout:

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    AAAHAHAHA... finally someone with a grip on history... "scared" of a company thats bleeding money like there is no tomorrow? ATI $7 a share? VliW... People said the same thing about 3dfx @ $7 a share - and the 4 chip voodoo 5000 board... about how glide was such a better API - OMFG SO MUCH POWER SO MUCH FASTER THE RIVA TNT 2 WILL BE A PAPERWIEGHT... blah blah... nvidia has a faster production cycle than ATI, and the only reason they havent released new tech is to recoup the costs of the 8800 series.

Think of it like a track - ATi is ahead because theyre about to be lapped, to someone who has no previous knowledge of the race, it may seem as if they are ahead... but just sit and watch - you'll see how much theyre about to struggle.

6. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep. :D

7. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think It's not fanboism, I agree with him and I'm not a fanboy...I hate that. It's just the way the article say the things. I like ATi and Nvidia and both have better cards than the other....and both experienced hard times.....the thread wasn't turned Ati Vs Nvidia thread if the article was objective.

8. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    rules and will beat them both, Ati and Nvidia do not have a card to compete with it.:toast:

9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ati are the innovators.. they are the ones that come up with new ideas.. one day a new idea might actually win the race.. for the last two or three years it hasnt.. but who knows.. ???

basically green simply watches what red are up to then simply using more brute force grunt but no new ideas beats it.. he he he

praps they are "scared" that one day their rather simplistic approach wont work..

for example.. takes reds new x 2.. its works in a reasonable fashion.. its possible greens x2 wont.. heat being the possible and likely problem..

reds innovation.. a new chip that dosnt get too hot and draw too much current.. which is why reds x 2 works

just imagine a red x 2 using two 2900 type chips.. he he he he

trog

snuif09 says thanks.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My 2 cents, Nvidia has never made a good dual gpu card, NEVER! The GX2 may barely beat the X2, though it should crush it, unfortunately Sli is inferior to Crossfire.

GT200 = 65nm
    R700 = 45nm

ATi should win the next round. I don't know about you, but I don't want another space heater in my system ala GT200. This is going to be ATi's year. Products like the 8800 don't come around too often.

11. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Source?

12. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    ao if they arent explain the damn lying email

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing final, but everything I've read says it's true. Google 9800gtx, or g90, or gt200

14. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol that's funny. If you knew what Hara is translated in Maltese...

It means this.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  15. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u think nvidia tooka $$$ hit with the 8800 series?

16. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    3dfx was the shizzz :rockout:
    that's why I don't like NV

Matrox Triple head ftw

17. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I definitely don't. :) I got off topic here but I've never heard of someone called Mr $$$ hit so far! :laugh:

18. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This really says it all. Can we please stop these ridiculous and petty fan boy wars. It's so damn tiring and juvenile. It's a competitive market. Ati and Nvidia take turns making the better product and getting a bigger market share. Both are trying to out perform simply to make more money. That is all it is. Can we please, please just stop.

19. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    the point of the trhead is that nvidias marketing is being juvenile ..

20. Crazyhorse New Member

Thanks Received:
    True but those marketing strategies are all and everywhere the same. Intel does it AMD does ATi did it and NVidia does it. I m no friend of NV cards even though they do make good cards no doubt. I might be a little bid of an ATi Fanboy but I can admit that the other Company does make good cards as well and for the past 2 years NVidia owned AMD/ATi. But there is no telling what AMD/ATi has been working on all along i m sure they are more for a long shot solution and its only a matter of time when we see VPU's integrated in either CPU's or the board itself not the today onboard video though.

But yeah that is clearly trashtalk from NVidias side but then everybody else does or did it so thats nothing new in the world of technology. My product owns yours....

I be happy to see good products from all companies that means competition and that means better pricing for us.

DarkMatter says thanks.
  21. jammy86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hounestly thing that ATI may have an upper hand here. Not right now, the benchmarks show that, but in releasing the x2 card.

Right now what is happening is that a small percentage of the market are buying the x2. The people that are buying it arent worried that the quad fire thing doesnt work yet and they are also happy to put up with niggles and quirks of the card that arent quite perfect. Now I'm no electronic engineer, but I am a mechanical one, and it seems to be that the issue with dual gpu on a single board will lie in how each gpu talks to each other. The bit i'm talking about is that chip in the middle of the x2. By simply getting the x2 technology into the public market they are getting it tested and all sorts of errors thrown up and dealt with. Then comes along a nice new dual core processor designed to work to the current system, with a bridge that works perfectly and soon you've got a card which has had most of its refinement done long before the card existed....

just a theory mind...

JAmes.

22. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +6749689386489439

thats exactly where i didnt came up.
    ty mate cause thats just the thing how it goes in vga world

23. gOJDO New Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread is funny. :)
    The_INQ and FUDzilla are spreading only rumors, most of them proven as total BS. For exmaple, the Reverse Hyper Threading, the outstanding K10 scores in synthetic benchmarks, the 3GHz K10, etc. etc. These people are noobz about hardware. They are just writing attractive stories for the masses, thus making traffic(read money) for their web sites.
    ATi have nothing scary for nVidia and their 3870X2 is not an answer to nVidia. Just Some people here were amazed about the 3D Mark socres. 3D Mark is completely useless for representing real-life performance. Somebody running a high-end graphics card(s) would like to have a high-end graphics. Just check DX10 gaming performance with AA and AF turned on. Not only the 8800Ultra, but the 8800GTX also beats the 3870X2. Just look at the min. FPS od the 3870X2, it's unacceptable for high-end graphics card.

About the price, the 3870X2 is cheaper than the 8800Ultra, but requires much more expensive PSU and a large case to be placed in.
    Bottom line, the 3870X2 is a good competitor to nVidia high-end offerings. Competition brings faster and cheaper products.

24. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Who had the better product last gen (DX9)? - ATi with the 1950 series.

Now nvidia has the 8800 which is a better product.

AMD has the lead in the CPU wars with the Athlon 64 until Intel brought about the Core 2 Duo.

Same thing will always happen.

25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing that both NVidia and ATI certainly succeed in equal proportions is that they spread hatered among tech-forum members, people buy their stuff, take sides and use their cards to pull down eachothers' underwear. :shadedshu

Make love (to your partners) not war (to fellow-forum-members).

Black Panther says thanks.