1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA VS AMD when it comes to driver fact(Who is best for long run)?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by cool.dx.rip, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cool.dx.rip New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys,after having research in net i have come to know that Nvidia r more supportive about there drivers then ATI.I have found that Nvidia are still taking good care about there 4XX gpu on the other hand ATI get forgot their past cards when new series gpu released(said it on basis of driver).ATI just take care well their latest models but Nvidia also takes care of past models
    .i want best bang for my bucks which also mean long run in my gaming experience.So which brand should my choice.MY config:pRO core i5 3470
    Ram 8GB
    PSU 550watt
    Monitor 18.5inch led
    GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N660OC-2GD
    ORRRRR
    MSI Global ? Graphics Card - R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC
    Correct me if i m worng.
    SOrry 4 BAD english
    Thanksssssssssssssssss
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I think this could get messy but imho they are both good at drivers , they both have similar long term driver support (ive both), and both release often for new games.
    Id go with yhe cheapest but thats me , does the radeon havea never settle voucher as the free games would seal it for me.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    nVidia, without any kind of doubt.

I've had multiple experiences with both camps and as far as I can tell you nVidia drivers tend to be more reliable in the long run, especially because AMD drops the balls on older generations.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    For one card and with AMD's latest heavy involvement in top games I think they are pretty much even in the driver department. Now you ask us to choose between two cards which are not on the same performance level, GTX660 being the faster card and closer to 7870. I don't think that the GTX660 has around the same price as the 7850. If so, the 660 is the better choice.
    LordJummy and cool.dx.rip say thanks.
  5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    On single card comparisons both AMD and Nvidia are excellent at driver support. You will always get grumbles here or there but generally you cannot lose on single card. You will see better dual card support from Nvidia though.
  6. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I don't see where all the complaints about drivers are coming from. I haven't had problems running CF with AMD for years, nor have I had any issues running single Nvidia GPU. I guess I just need to try out SLI.
  7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You must have played 2 games in total then, I mean no offense.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  8. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Been on both... played on both.. reviewed on both. I really have had little problems from either camp. But I swear I hear people hating on AMD a lot more often. Not sure if that is a function of more affordable cards or just some bad experiences however.
    FordGT90Concept and cool.dx.rip say thanks.
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    AMD's driver's seem to be getting better but IMO still not as good as Nvidia's :toast:
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    neither of them. Either one can release a driver that will cause headaches for people. Lately neither one of them has really delivered consistently good drivers. One release from AMD will be shitty, then NVidia will release one and itll be good, then the next release could be the other way around.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I also have run CrossFire quite a bit and haven't had too many problems. You're setup must of been at fault. No offense.

Either way drivers are fine from both sides. If you're trying to decide on a card, check reviews. These threads don't last.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I would say nvidia in the long run, AMD for a quick turn around. AMD said awhile ago they weren't going to do driver releases as often because people bitched about how buggy they were but I haven't noticed much difference in their beta frequency, which is good for getting new game support. That said I still don't know if I'd go back to letting clients use AMD. The issues I was having and their inability to fix them reached critical mass with the 7000 series.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had one driver issue with my 7 series about a month after release (not sure which driver version), it's been great ever since. Unless you're talking about the lower end models as I have no experience with them.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  14. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  15. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I can tell you I was not the only one with issues there are tons of threads that document about it.

A few examples, CFX in Rift was terrible to say the least, same for Skyrim everything was messed up until they got profiles right and it took an insane amount of time(still has some glitches), Tera is another game where it was unplayable.

Brink? Another crossfire nightmare.

There are always work arounds with Radeonpro to make something out of it but it's always tweaking and it doesn't make your experience as flawless as it should be.

I will not mention Quad (had 4870x2 CFX, 5970 CFX and 6990 CFX) cause that would be stupid to list, not many run four GPUs so I can understand that they are not supported outside of benching.

When crossfirex works, it works well, if the game is supported then you are in for a treat but man when it doesn't it's gonna make you insane.

AMD right now is a beast on single GPU gaming but CFX really needs to be fixed.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  16. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    Tomb Raider... Nvidia really stepped up to the plate and got the drivers updated for that game... and really they did not absolutely need to. i am very happy that they fixed (or sped it up) ... the only annoying thing that the driver did was lock-up while playing TR... and while i have not Experienced a lock up yet under the new driver, i think they have fixed it.

AMD seems to be producing good graphics cards now (of course, now that i stop buying them lol, mainly because of mythtv... and linux... with AMD major pain to install amd drivers under linux... With nvidia it is download driver, chmod 775 it, sudo ./ it, and it is done...
    AMD i dont know, i think it is some combo of 'magical' terminal commands, and WOW spells ROFL...)
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well, l have had quite a few driver issues back when i was running with 6970s. sometimes AMD broke the crossfire profiles of certain games that i played which meant that would get some nasty 'ghosting' as the cards were out of sync.

I have had some microstutter pop up here and there but mainly in ARMA II or BC2. Ghosting rendered my ARMA II unplayable Not only did it cause it to ghost, It would quite often crash and BSOD my system when loading into servers - 3 out of 5 times it would cause BSOD when loading into ARMA II.

Microstuttering in Bad Company 2, and the little end of round movie sequences were often out of sync or some other messed up fo'shizzle which i cant be arsed to remember as I havent touched that game in more then a year.

Bad performance in crossfire for guildwars 2 and a problem where crossfire would disengage when you zoned to a different area but they eventually fixed that. though I still had issues with shadows glitching out and screen tearing when shadows are set to their highest level.

for BF3 Id say the performance was pretty good. I have hardly experienced any microstutter but I know of members who have quite a lot though to be fair, BF3 does have issues with Hyperthreading that can cause problems too but i think they patched that now.

These are just my own personal experiences and also the reason why I shifted over to Nvidia. SLi might not scale as high as Crossfire but even though Nvidia arent totally innocent when it comes to problematic drivers. I have genrally heard a lot more complaints about AMD drivers then Nvidia's and so far games just seem a lot smoother for me even when I started off just running one 680. I am happier then Ive ever been with my systems performance with Nvidia.
    cool.dx.rip and radrok say thanks.
  18. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:

Man what you have remembered me... Crossfire on GW2 ouch my eyes.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  19. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Just browsing the GeForce Forums on R314.22

Flip a coin.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Damn_Smooth and cool.dx.rip say thanks.
  20. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Both camps have problem, we get it, still nVidia is more consistent with drivers on the long run especially when supporting older cards.

CFX/SLI? Both have problems, single GPU is the way.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  21. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    I've used cards from both camps, I rarely see any noticeable problems with either in single card solutions.

In my eyes, both are great companies in their own respective, it only starts getting messy at the higher price points.

Btw, if you can get your hands on a 7870 XT (I think) for around $240US, you will get a great bang for your bucks.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    They are both good. Pick whatever fits your budget.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  23. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    fixed.
    literally, flip a coin.
    I own cards from both camps, and couldnt care which i chose.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  24. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Wow.

Unbiased opinion here:

Single GPU: both are equal
    CF/SLI: small(tiny) edge to NVIDIA because they've had this longer and seems a bit more polished. Nothing to make or break a deal though. They both patch problems pretty quick so it's not a problem.

Conclusion: There's only 2 reasons why you would ask this question.
    1. You are trying to start a flame war
    2. You are still noob status with builds

I hope you register as #2. If that is the case then CF/SLI set up is not for you anyways. I know you definitely don't need this for your whopping 18.5 in screen or your unbranded 550w psu.

Choose the GPU that fits your budget and the games you play.
    cool.dx.rip says thanks.
  25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Hows about you all actually read the Op , he admits noobship but is only after one card and doesn't mention xfire or sli at all, like not at all.....don't be neg too noobs..
    FreedomEclipse says thanks.