• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Server rig

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I have already tried an extra graphics card, but the result was the same ... I do not see anything :) I took a based graphics card PCI Express 16X and I turned into 8X with cutting part of the PIN for the slot and then put it in the slot PCI Express 8X of the motherboad SUPERMICRO X7DVL-E. This operation of "cutting PIN" is a very common practice explained in some websites. Have you ever tried it?

And if the problem was the FLOPPY that I never connected to motherboad and so the boot block, possible?

picture of the mod?

NetByte2015

Ok, last night I bought on eBay the two tools to do the test of the motherboard. I did not want to spend much ... maybe my X7DVL-E can not be fix ... in this case are wasted money :)
Maybe in a week this material arrives.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap

NetByte2015

I have read the post you said me ... sometimes with CHIP-SET motherboards there are problems. For motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E, as read on the info brochure, the CPU supports are only "Xeon Processor 5200/5100/5000 sequence" and then my CPU of TEST XEON X5120 should not have problems. If one day I bought two XEON X5460 they too should be fully compatible.

NetByte2015

Last night I tried to change the battery and repeat the contact to erase the bios settings. Not change anything ... as usual :) The only solution is the diagnostics card that is coming. But I wonder, in the use of this card the last POST code shown in the display will be the error? Maybe the Phoenix BIOS of the motherboard will give me a code even mentioned in the manual ... it could happen ... secret codes Supermicro :)

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
good luck buddy

NetByte2015

Hello everyone, I'm back here! :) Yesterday came at my home the diagnostics card that I bought, there's a picture in a my past post (the card of red color). Last night I tried it, and there is already a big problem! I put the card into a PCI slot 32bit and I turn on the motherboard Supermicro. Perhaps a second time and the motherboard turns off instantly, and for a moment I can see the LED +5V on the diagnostics board lights. What is the significance of this behavior of the diagnostic card?

The diagnostic card used in another computer function perfectly, the computer can boot and the card display the various POST CODE applicable.

A flashing LED +5V and instant-off of the motherboard Supermicro may indicate a short circuit on the +5V line?

NetByte2015

So also the Diagnostics tab does not seem to give results. I do not understand if the motherboard mounted with the diagnostics PCI card turns off immediately because there is a serious fault or because my diagnostics PCI card is not compatible with my motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E. However with this board diagnostics I tried with and without the stick of RAM (2GB) but it's all the same. The motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E turns off by itself. It 's really the +5V line shorted? Maybe for a moment that the LED lights is just an interference and nothing more. The VGA on the motherboard does not display images and the fact that even an external VGA card is not activated, the motherboard seems responsive. If I remove the RAM and turn on the motherboarda makes a particular beep. If I then unplug the CPU also turn on the motherboard this makes a beep different. If I put all the components to their right place the appearance is working properly. The LEDs on the motherbord seem to work well. The fan connected to the CPU cooler works. If there was a short circuit is my opinion and that nothing would work, right?

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
That slot might be faulty actually.

Clearly something else on the board is faulty, IE the onboard video or something. According to those bleeps atleast.

See if that tester has a manual, since it's low quality it could likely he faulty too

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Try it in another slot too, as mentioned that slot may be faulty.

NetByte2015

The diagnosis card is not faulty, on another PC function well (it is a PC with a old motherboard not server (no Xeon) brand Supermicro). I immediately tried to change SLOT, in both 32bit SLOT and then also in 64bit SLOT but nothing changes. I turn on the motherboard to almost instantly turns off.

I will check the manual for this diagnosis card but it seems to me that does not mention this case (instantly turns off).

Maybe this diagnosis card is not compatible with server motherboard, this is possible?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Is that card for testing in PCI-e or PCI slots, it looks like it will fit both by simply turning it around, doesn't mean it will work though.

NetByte2015

The diagnostics card is a PCI type (not PCI Express) then a diagnostics card old style. To be more precise picture of my diagnostics card you see in a picture of my post of 8 April. I do not know what to say ... I have to find the site of the manufacturer of this diagnostics card and ask if it is compatible with motherboard XEON and then with the chip-set used for these processors ... maybe this is the problem!

But no one here has ever used this type of budget cards (low cost diagnostics card) with XEON motherboard?

Is that card for testing in PCI-e or PCI slots, it looks like it will fit both by simply turning it around, doesn't mean it will work though.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
i will look for my diag tool and try it in my Supermicro for you.

NetByte2015

OK thanks! The important and it's a motherboard XEON ... my Supermicro X7DVL-E have chip-set "Intel 5000V (Blackford VS), MCH + ESB2". My diagnostics card is this:

i will look for my diag tool and try it in my Supermicro for you.

NetByte2015

This evening I did another experiment ... one thing I had not done. I set the jumpers JI2C1 / JI2C2 to enabled (JI2C1 / JI2C2 SMB to PCI Slot # 1 / # 2 Slot Speed). Now both jumpers are connected PIN 1-2 then "Enabled". The motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E manual says: "Jumpers JI2C1 / JI2C2 allow you to connect the System Management Bus (I2C) to PCI slots." Then I put my diagnostics card in PCI Slot # 1 (PCI 32bit 33MHz) or PCI Slot # 2 PCI (PCI 32bit 33MHz) and I turned on the motherboard ... but ... nothing has changed ... everything the motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E shut down.

NetByte2015

For my diagnostics card (post code reader) I have understood the problem. The card I have is for a PCI slot 5v and not for PCI slot 3.3v as my motherboard Supermicro X7DVL-E. Unfortunately my "red card" (view image above) on this computer can not be used. This thing of 5v and 3.3v I had not realized before ...