1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning on a Computer Upgrade - What to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MadDogTen, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, I'm planning on upgrading my CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and Case.

/Story /Rant
    I recently upgraded my Videocard to a EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) (Not Ti Sadly), which was a huge mistake on my part (At least, upgrading that BEFORE my CPU), as my FPS is only very slightly improved in games (Like Far Cry 2 or Crysis), which was the whole point of buying it. Only AFTER the purchace was I informed that my CPU is whats really keeping me down (Though I did only have a 8600 GT before). If I upgraded it first, then at least I would of had an overall performance Boost with everything. So, pretty much that $200 is sitting in my computer collecting dust right now.
    /End

Hence, the reason I am going to first ask you guys here on what I should get so I do not make that mistake again.

So, I have a Budget of about $600 (Including Tax and Shipping) to spend, which I also want whatever I buy to be Easily Upgradable in the Future (So I don't have to by a New Motherbored/Ram to upgrade my CPU later on) and using new Technology (As in DDR3). The case is more or less optional (I COULD use my current one, but it is pretty old and breaking), but I would like to include that if possible.

What I have currently picked out is (Though I'm still looking [Updated with Recommendations below])-
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Tu...
    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA ...
    CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm A70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler
    NZXT Tempest 210 CA-TP210-01 Black Steel / Plastic...
    Which all adds up to $628.98 (Including Tax and Shipping)

So how does that look? Also, Does anyone know if my current power supply (Listed in System Specs) would be able to run that all, and OC the CPU?

Note- This is for a Gaming Computer. If possible, I would like to run games like Crysis 1 and 2, Far Cry 2 (and 3), Metro 2033, and Dead Island at Max (or at least close to it).
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend an PII x4 as opposed to the FX, other than that it should be a lot better than your current setup, can't believe you still have a Phenom 1 quad lol :toast:
  3. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    I would downgrade to an AM3 mobo and get something like a 955, geting a quadcore on am3+ is kinda useless
  4. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    My brother sold it to me....He highly overstated its ability. I'm pretty sure it made the game "Supreme Commander" run worse compared to my old Dual Core same Ghz.
  5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  6. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    That Mobo is fine only thing really missing is Crossfire/SLI... move to the M5A-99X Evo if you want that

PII 960T is a great CPU as an option for the FX-4100

Memory- go with a kit @1.5v.... AMD systems don't like 1.65v kits sometimes

Case- NZXT Source 210 is nice, I have one, but it won't last forever... Elite model gets you an extra fan and tool free adapters.

That's my $0.02 ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    actually, I listed the 2400. The 2500 would be $30 more. The difference between the two wouldn't be noticable though.
  9. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    My bad:p
  10. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    That could be possible, but instead with this ram (I can do with Half the ram for Half the Price)- Patriot Signature 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM...

That would make the total cost $336.21.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the newer Intel systems don't like RAM that requires more than 1.5 volts. Personally, I haven't tried running more than 1.5 volts for my RAM on my Intel system.
  12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
  13. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone else confirm that? Would just like to be absolutely sure before spending more Money because of it.
  14. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    It's only $4. To be perfectly honest, even if I'm wrong about the RAM voltage, I'd still go with the Corsair RAM. Corsair generally produces a better product than Patriot.
  15. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well....I guess shipping it back would cost more then $4 if your right. lol

Ok then.
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Just got one of those boards and for the price there impressive to say the least as for the ram get some of the Samsung memory
    Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, SAMSUN...

And for the CPU i my self did go for the 25k.

EDIT: get the 2x4GB sticks if you can get them like from Microcenter which i believe are $40.
  17. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I see a few names down there in the
    section. Please speak up if I've given any bad advice or if you have something to add.
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
  19. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
    But mom, I'm trying to look around the boards!

If you aren't wanting to upgrade later on, I would consider expanding your budget a bit to push for a 2500K. You won't be able to overclock that i5-2400, even though you'll still get great performance out of it. Your only upgrade path would be to change CPUs instead of overclocking, which is quite easy on this platform and well documented.

Regarding the ASRock board, I would take it or leave it. I understand they are a decent budget board maker, but I would see what ASUS (yeah, they own ASRock), Gigabyte or MSI has to offer for around the same price.

Those Corsair sticks should work fine. I have had no complaints with my G.Skills 2x4GB sticks, but Corsair makes pretty solid products as well. Those would be a good pick up.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should read the reviews on it as it overclocks like hell on wheels.

Don't believe they do any more. ASRock went there own way.

EDIT: And here's the TPU thread of them people are loving them to bits or i would not of got 4 sets of them my self and replaced all my Kingston Hypers and G.skill z ram.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159320
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  21. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be an extra $45 to get this Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Tu.... I'm not sure if I can exactly do that.

I'm curious, do you think I could get any Money from my Current Set Up (and how much)? Selling Them seems like the only way to be able to do that.
  22. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Not true at all. It is possible to OC a locked Sandy Bridge CPU like the i5 2400 to around 3.9 ghz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302423-28-2400-overclocking

http://www.channelpro.co.uk/reviews/6511/intel-sandy-bridge-review/page/0/13

Also not true. Asrock is no longer owned by ASUS and is producing motherboards equal in quality and reliability to ASUS boards

It's not garanteed to do that though, and who knows how long it can maintain a "hell on wheels" OC. I burned out a set of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 in less than a year running it at around 930 mhz(don't remember the exact OC)
  23. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
    OK, I could have worded that first part a bit more accurately. It is not recommended to overclock a locked SB CPU using BLK, though possible. There's so much more potential in the unlocked chips, though.

Regarding ASRock, I was not aware they completely separated from ASUS. I've heard both good and bad about them, but have no experience with them.

I've always sold my leftovers like motherboard, CPU and RAM to make up for upgrade costs, especially if they are not compatible with the new parts. Otherwise, what else will they do besides depreciate in value? My rule of thumb is to have a spare PSU and HDD just in case something happens to either.
  24. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the Base Difference between the Core i5-2400 and Core i5-2500 with the $45 itself? or does the overclocking only make it worth it? As I have just about no idea how to overclock (Though I could with help, like I am currently doing).
  25. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Only way I would suggest a 2500 over the 2400 is if it's the 2500K. Overclocking is very easy with the 2500k, 2600k and 2700k as they all have unlocked multipliers and it's just a matter of selecting a higher multiplier. The K stands for a unlocked multiplier. If there is no K in the name, it's not unlocked.