1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Q6600 upgrade ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamupnorth, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking of upgrading from my c2d e6600 to a c2d q6600 & going from 2g of ram to 4g of ram.

this is all i can do without changing my motherboard as i cant be botherd.

do you think this will be a decent enough upgrade ?
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you would do to utilize those 4 cores and 4GB of RAM.

If you're not running 64-bit OS you'll see somewhere between 3GB and 3.5GB of available RAM for your 32-bit OS. If you don't do a lot of multitasking and would actually utilize 4 cores I personally think they're more of a gimmick or as some say an "e-penis extension". There are some games and some programs that can use 4 cores, and no I don't mean the multi-core compatable Prime95 stress either...but really I think quad cores are over-touted right now....kind of like DX10 gaming cards were when the 8800's and 2900's first came out...and even up to now, not a whole lot of DX10 gaming out there, yet a lot compared to a year ago.

I'd say it would depend on how badly you want those upgrades, personally I'd stick with that 6600 and overclock it a little bit if I wanted some more performance. I am running 4GB of memory in Vista64, and I gotta say it's not too bad at all, I have yet to run out of memory, and things are running great...but in most instances I don't think I would've had 4GB if I didn't snag the deal on the second 2x1gb kit that I did.

Hope that helps! :toast:
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you like encoding (e.g. ripping DVDs to DivX) then DO IT. You will halve the time it takes to create your media.

If your PC provides LAN services to your home network... or internet... then do it. You can Virtual PC and have two independent OS's installs running do different things.

If you just use if for a bit of this-that-and-gaming, then NO. You wont notice any difference.

I have a Q6600. I think its fantastic. But you wont "feel" an upgrade over your existing system unless you do heavy multitasking/threading.

I would recommend a Q6600 as an INITIAL purchase over an E6600. But I wouldnt recommend the cost of "upgrading" from E6600 to Q6600.

A better upgrade for you is to get a better mainboard and faster RAM. You can then run it at a much higher FSB. You'll get more performance out of your existing CPU... and sell the old slow RAM you've got to help cover the upgrade cost.
  4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Better vid. card might equal better upgrade. The only game where you notice a difference with 4 gigs of ram is gears of war
  5. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do convert from divex to mpeg alot

i also read that in vista super prefetch is useing half of the ram in my system as i mainly use vista now. so the extra ram would help & i do know that 32bit only uses 3.3 mb of the ram awailable , so it will be better than what i have now.

i do intend to get 800mhz ram/

i also think that with a q6600 my system will last a good bit longer & i also have the spare cash at the moment burning a hole in my pocket !!

as for gaming we are only casual gamers but we do play the latest games like crysis , cod4 ut3
    etcc.

so getting a better graphics card would not be really worth it as the hd3850 is just fine & ok i know a 8800 is better but not tht much really.
  6. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    just do it. It will be a cheap upgrade!
  7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im selling my Q6600 when my Xeon 3350 gets here. Its supposed to ship out tomorrow. Once I find out that my Xeon works properly, I will be putting it up for sale.

I should mention its a B3 and is able to clock to 3.3GHz. (It can go higher, but I would recommend water cooling.
  8. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am in the uk pal ! so not viable so i have just orederd the kit from e-buyer uk for a decent price.

cheers..
  9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Opps...didnt notice. :ohwell: