1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend the love of your life time PC Game

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cvrk, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    hers the situation. I have a few days off here,and the weather is not to good. So i figured i play something on my PC. The thing is i played everything. Ok,maybe not everything....maybe like 80% of "everything". Been playing games since 2004.One decade of PC gaming. At the moment i am going through lists of best pc games.....all types,on different websites,best rated, favorite games ,steam forums etc etc...to see what i can find....you name it.
    I got a new monitor, asus 24 inch IPS like a month ago. I don't mind playing something that i already played,at least it will look very good on this new screen.Just can't figure out,what. I am out of ideas. I installed Crysis 1 last night.I know the game so well,it's so damn boring to play it all over again.
    I just finished the "Wolf among us" and "the walking dead season 1 & 2". Amazing games!!!
    Of course i wanted to get a go at my all time favorite pc game ever made in history of the human kind : Mass Effect....installed ME1...damn it,can you belive it.It looks great on my screen on full hd resolution with modded textures (something i found on a website) but unfortunately i know everything that is gonna happen ....it's like deja'vu and it's so boring. I already played the series to many times.
    Help me find a game! Whatever you like,any type.....rts, rpg mmorpg,fps....action,i don't know. Just type here on this thread your favorite games of all time: ANY PC GAMES.Make a list ,your top 5 or something.
    What made you lose nights after nights. What made emotional,what stopped you from going out with your girlfriend,what did you skip work / school for
    Anything from Rome Total War,to Shogun 2,Half Life,Jedi Outcast to Starcraft or Guild Wars 2. If it's Metro,Company of Heroes, Divinity Original Sin, Far Cry 3 or Doom 2....monkey island or Portal 1& 2
    If you loved it and felt every minute of gameplay, write it down here

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    My favorite PC game of all time, without a doubt, is Mechwarrior 4 with all it's expansions. The game is older than you have been PC gaming(it uses DX7), so no matter what monitor or resolution you use, it's going to look like crap. But the amount of customization available within the game is more than I have ever seen in any other game.

SKBARON and cadaveca say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I always say if you will only play one PC game in your life, play The Longest Journey.

Also Beyond Good & Evil.

And Chrono Trigger. Deus Ex.

4. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    discovery channel moment: The fighting style from BG&E,when the main character is fighting multiple opponents,was implemented in Ubisoft's Assassin Creed 2.And yes i am considering giving Dreamfall - The Longest Journey a try. Back in the days i never found the patience for it

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean PC exclusive game?

6. droopyRO

droopyRO

Thanks Received:
    Stalker.

PS: i wish i had a memory wipe program for my brain, would love to relive the summer of 2008 when i first played Mass Effect.

7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    BG&E predates Assassin's Creed. I would recommend The Longest Journey, not Dreamfall. The mouse horizontal was backwards in Dreamfall and there was no option to fix it. Even if you excluded that horrendously annoying bug, the game was still meh and mostly forgettable.

I would go with Evil Genius or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Frick says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    i am feeling you !!!

9. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Fallout 3 is the game that impressed me the most and I played it for about 2 weeks for 8-10 hours a day.

10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    For me the best games ive played since ive staerted gaming back in the early 90s was the first CoD+U.O expansion followed by BF2 and guildwars 1. CoD1 for me will always beat any modern day CoD. The only CoD it cant beat is a little CoD+Chips with a dash of salt an a boat load of vinegar. If my CoD isnt literally swimming in vinegar then i wont touch it

I was playing CoD1 for close to 3 years lol and that was the only game i ever played betwween shifts at work... Things were a little more simple back then and there wasnt a huge choice of fps games, not like there are today

RCoon says thanks.
  11. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    You're sain' get CoD 1 ,max out the graphics ,get drunk and play it at highest difficulty?

Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
  12. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    It would be the very first game I ever bought with my own money and that I played when I was a kid on my very first PC.

Fate. (Wiki link here)

Paid the full amount and would play for days. I would play for 12 hours a day, every day, every day off or during summer vacation..

I gotta play this again..

Cvrk says thanks.
  13. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I'll just run off a list of games I've installed on every PC/laptop I've owned since I got them:

Broken Sword 1 & 2 (Point and click adventure, get them on GOG here and here because they come with the original, non-remastered/non-director's cut versions which I consider superior)
    Blade Runner (Yes, THAT Blade Runner. Point and click adventure with multiple endings. Only available on original discs via eBay or Amazon, or a single installer that some guy made and can be gotten from any good torrent site)
    Sea Dogs (Privateering/pirating simulator with multiple, branching endings. Make sure you check out Hosehead's great site here, it has loads of info, guides and mods. Again, can only be found on eBay or Amazon these days)
    Master of Orion II (Turn-based 4x space strategy game, get it on GOG)
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (Another pirating simulator, though less of a simulator than Sea Dogs. Get it on Steam)
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (Real-time tactical fleet simulator in space. Awesome graphics that still hold up today, even though it's a decade old. Get it on GOG)
    Tachyon: The Fringe (Fighter simulator in space with an epic story. I normally hate fighter simulators, being more of a starship captain kinda guy, but I absolutely love this game. Plus the main character is voiced by Bruce freaking Cambell! Get it on Steam)
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (It's Star Wars, it's an RPG, do you need anything more? You can also mod the hell out of them. Get them on Steam here and here)
    Galactic Civilizations II (Another great turn-based space 4x strategy game. Get it on Steam)
    Crusader Kings II (This is the most recent game on the list, but it impressed the hell out of me. Medieval grand strategy with a twist; your primary goal is not build an empire, but to maintain your dynasty. Use political marriages to secure good inheritances for your children and educate them to be great leaders to ensure that your dynasty survives throughout the ages. Get it on Steam)

Hope you have fun with them! :toast:

Cvrk says thanks.
  14. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    TORNADO - OPERATION DESERT STORM Back in the '90's this came out on CD, {about when Fleet Defender ect}, but this Tornado game keep me going for ever !!! One of the best parts was high Alt. laser bombing.
    You could get about 40,000 ft pickle off 6 hangers, then get the runway busters on a LOW aprox 50 ft pass!! all camera angles were avaiable.
    You were able to run an entire Squadrun so after the first wave of knocking out radar, telecom's, then AA, start blasting the air bases. I sooo remember this one field no matter what I did, Mach 1+ High alt whatever, I kept getting nailed. Then it dawnd on me to set a CAP outgoing from the field and wala !! Oh what memories......would start playing on the ole HP 386, about 6 pm till 11 or even 1 am, then get up at 4:20 am to haul ass to work by 5 am!! It was truly a free world game that YOU had all the control over. I think HAWX has roots from this game, but the exception was TOTAL control of the game dynamics from start to finish!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    1. Homeworld - My favorite story of any game. I've never had such a feeling of isolation in space with any other game. Epic soundtrack. Challenging gameplay. Remastered version coming soon.

2. Mechwarrior 2, Ghost Bear Legacy, Mercenaries - Can provide you with so much lore and background its staggering. So many books are out there involving the battletech universe. Self preservation during every mission is essential, since you only have 1 life. No respawns or continues and those shenanigans. Can be made to work with Dosbox, but it is tough on newer systems.

3. Descent I & II - Actual 3 dimensional "first person shooter". These games are miles better than almost all shooters released today. I cannot wait for a revival of this genre and see what's been missing. If you get the source files off the CD or from GOG. Search for DXX-Rebirth to play these games with modern resolution and updated assets.

4. Honourable mention -Battlezone. FPS RTS hybrid. Command your troops and build, while also fighting alongside of those troops. Very fun and challenging game. You can get it for free at http://www.battlezone1.com/

I still play these very often.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Cvrk says thanks.
  16. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    Never got Orion,but did play Sins of the Solar Empire.And i will consider Broken Sword
    So surprised nobody mentioned Crysis 3 :))) .YES everybody is into old-school gaming and i can not agree or respect you guys more for that.Why did nobody played, everyday for a month, a shooter that has a 4 hour campaign story line and is capable of ruining your graphics card.
    Off topic: do you think we will ever get a pc game with eye candy crysis 3 graphics and Sid Meier's Pirates! gameplay and story ? Mass Effect 3 (even without the mods) was pretty close,won't you agree ?

17. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Anybody remember Machine Hunter? I used to love that game as a kid..

Left 4 Dead 2 is probably my all time favorite. That or the original DayZ mod. Vanilla.

18. JTristam

Thanks Received:
    Funny, heavily modded Skyrim came to mind. But yeah, I played Skyrim together with my girl several times, discussing whether we should make this decision or take that path, or kill this chap or help that lass. I have LG 22MP65HQ IPS monitor I bought mainly for gaming and watching blue-rays and Skyrim looks great on it. Heavily modded one, that is. The vanilla one is not worth playing on any IPS screen.

I recently tried Divinity Original Sin and love it. I've been playing Total War games since Shogun so I can recommend the franchise. And I think I like to get my hands on Metro Redux. Played 2033 but skipped Last Light. Would like to see what the improvements (2033 running in Last Light's engine) look like on my IPS screen.

19. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    heavily modded Skyrim . O YEAH! I spent more then 1 month. I have never played a game for so long. Nothing installed on my pc excpet that for 1 month + Mass Effect was like per game a full 1 week. But Skyrim was insane. Dragon Age Origins had the story like 10 times more interesting. But could never keep you going for as long. One single side quest in Skyrim kept you gaming for hours....just one.
    Witcher 3 is announced to have a huge map and a open world unique experience.Can't w8 to see how that will turn out. Judging by how the graphics look, i'd say new graphics card is a must

20. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    Three games, all oldies for me as well

Homeworld

Full Throttle

Tachyon: The Fringe

Solaris17, stinger608 and Frick say thanks.
  21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I forgot Freelancer. Game is epic and basically set the bar for all space games since (Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are trying to usurp).

xvi and Frick say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The story's interesting, but I really really can't stand the controls. I do love you for including Evil Genius.

Hellfire mentioned Full Throttle, and for that I will give birth to his babies. Play that, and the Monkey Island games (the remakes of 1 and 2 are pretty good actually), Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.

Deus Ex, Thief II... Heroes of Might and Magic III is probably the game I've spent most time on.

If you want more challange, check out Dwarf Fortress and Aurora. DF just got a new major version though so it might be a bit buggier than usual atm. Which is fine, because Losing Is Fun.

Oh, and Freelancer. If I could unplay any game so I could play it again it would be that one. The story is sort of meh but for some reason the sense of exploration in that game is beyond most things.

EDIT: DAMN IT FORD WHY AM I AGREEING WITH YOU

EDIT: Oh oh, Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings! Now they are actually accessible!

23. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Cube2:Sauerbraten. It's just so simple that the dev managed to polish everything to perfection. The only other game I've enjoyed that much must be Saints Row 3

24. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and Diablo Hellfire :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Fable: The Lost Chapters (maybe Fable Anniversary too...haven't played it) is pretty epic too. I've replayed that game at least three times and wouldn't mind another go of it.

Alpha Protocol deserves honorable mention. I've beat it no less than five times and that's a pretty long game (20+ hours each time). Yeah, yeah, there is no turn animation and the pistol with upgrades is overpowered but if you play the game the way it is meant to be (mostly stealthy), it is awesome and has a lot of replay value.

Edit: The Earth 2150 Trilogy. On the surface the game doesn't seem that complicated but it has a lot more depth than any other RTS I've seen since. For example, it has a full weather system (rain, wind, snow), all units have electronic health (can be disabled and captured), all units have a heat level (can explode if too hot), and we can't forget the tunneling nor the unit customization options. I think it still sets the bar for a deep RTS.

Crunching for Team TPU