1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reduce bump time in Buy/sell/trade forum

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by wolf2009, Sep 12, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

The time is too long IMO . 24 hrs is too long .

With users growing and more and more people selling, its becoming hard to have the topic on first page for a day

on Hardforum it is 6hrs, on Anandtech it is 4 hrs .

2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i am not 100% sure but i think that is a short sighted way of looking at it, if everybody bumped every 12 hours you would still have the *exact* same problem, everybody is gonna bump when their gonna bump and if someone goes crazy bumping they will stay ontop more than other people,. but if everybody increases the rate,... the result will be identical to how it is now, right?

bump

heh

3. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    It's rarely enforced anyway. Only if you get reported for excessive bumping.

4. wolf2009 Guest

as a result of frequent bumping, more topics will come up to frontpage and more chance to sell your hardware

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather not have the front page cluttered with for sale threads any more than it already is. I'd actually like to see them removed all together.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Look at Hardforum, that B/S/T section is massive compared to ours with the first 7-10pages updated that day/added/bumped. I think patience plays a key in selling, as more of a buyer than seller, I usually go back through pages until approx 2 days before the current date. If someone wants what you're selling, they'll buy it.

Like you do wolf, putting your FS thread link in your sig I feel is another good method of getting attention...I really don't have issues with 24-hr OP bumps, other users may give a support bump which I feel should be continued as allowed as-long as it's not too out of hand. You are right that more topics will come up w/12hr bumps, but if people don't know how to browse to the B/S/T section, they haven't been on TPU long enough to work with it or have no need for it imo.

Unless they had an update section for just B/S/T threads, I don't really think 12hour bumps will really do any good. With so many other sections busy and included in the updated section, those 12hr bumps may make all the difference a little bit, but I think far less than the intended goal.

:toast:

7. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    a think a better solution to all of this would be to make a new trading area.. something seperate from the forums, but still attached to tpu. erocker is right in saying that we dont need a lot of clutter on the forums caused by the FS threads, and jc is also right in saying that changing the time will do hardly anything, and also that its rarely enfored..

wolf, if you really wanna wake up in the middle of your sleep to bump your FS thread, i dont think most of us would mind..

8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Personally it doesnt bother me, but I love seeing what everyone has for sale. Its one of the highlights of my days at work. My buddies and I (Who dont visit this site, just wait for me too, dont ask I dont know why) say, hey man, check out your website and see whats for sale.

9. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that if you really need to sell something..you should use ebay.

10. wolf2009 Guest

nah, you never know the other guy plus there's paypal and ebay fees to deal with . Plus you may not get the price you wanted .

11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I think that it should be different from TPU. Reason's behind that is, this doesn't happen a lot, but when a group of people from the same time zone wake up and go for their daily bump and bump it. Threads that need help or what not isn't shown up because the section is flooded with [FS], [WTB], [WTT] threads... So, here is a noob that needs help because he thinks he just blew up a $300 product. When all it was is that the clock was to high..
    As for the thing at hand. I think the time could be cut to 12 hours. That is basicly a day thing... Meaning, It's 11:48 here where I am at on Friday, but it's all ready 11:48 am half way across the world... Another day somewhere. See what I'm saying?
    Just my 2 cents in the matter.

12. acperience7

Thanks Received:
    Not just that, but the price gouging can be ridiculous. SL7CH for $300+USD:wtf:! At least here you can get a fair price for an item easily, and can find some things dirt cheap. I think the Buy/Sell/Trade forums are great the way they are. If you really want to see what's for sale, just rummage through a few pages and see what you can find.

13. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Cold, just simply for the fact we have the AUS user and the USA users who are on opposite time zones (AUS And USA are anagrams... coincidence?)
    I really don't see the point though when you can do the link in the sig thing, it really does pull in alot of hits, especially when you make your link the biggest font TPU will allow in a sig ;)

14. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for double post, but I feel this is relevant enough to have a separate post.

Also, something I've noticed in the past couple weeks is that nobody is buying things here unless it's an out of this world deal. There's some users with really great stuff here listed (you, jbunch, myself) and nobody is interested in any of the things we are selling. I don't know if it's greed or if it's the economy or what. Our users just aren't buying and selling much anymore... plain and simple.

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hole heartedly agree, I personally had a BNIB X38 that retails at $220 USD and was trying to give it away at $125 shipped....I had no takers, so it became my 3rd rig!:)

16. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I would love to buy... just need the money to... lol..

17. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I believe that EVERY BUMP of a for-sale thread, should be made by the SELLER ONLY. I really dislike people coming into a sale thread and "bumping" on behalf of their m8s.

If it aint selling, then it's at the wrong price.

I think a bump should only be made together with a NEW OFFER PRICE. And I think that should be 5% less too. (nearest $).

The number of FS threads with overpriced equipment is few, but those that are overpriced, just sit there for days or weeks bumping themselves to the top. It's very boring.

This is not a auction/sales site.

18. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    the only people who should be able to post in a BST thread's should be the original poster, everything else should be directed VIA PM.

find better way's to get your post count's up.

19. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Does it even count towards your post count?

20. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Lemonadesoda.

You bump once in 24 hrs, but your friends bump for you...and that happens more than once in 24 hours. It sounds funny, if you're not interested in someone's deal (you're not buying), why should you even bump on it? Guidelines clearly say, that your posts in those threads should be very specific to the deal. Posts like "bummpp 4 a gr8 fwiend" make no sense. Bumping at say 7 AM in the morning and 10 PM in the evening doesn't sound all that bad, compared to a dozen people who have nothing to do with the deal keeping the thread noticeable.

21. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a pile of shit if i ever saw one, ive had numerous fs threads, some have been good and sold within hours/days and some have not been, dont tell me and a lot of people were trying to sell goods overpriced, my current fs thread i have a msi k9a2 cf am2+ board for 20% less than its new price w/free shipping even tho its only 2 months old with full warranty, its not selling regardless, so by your understanding it is overpriced :nutkick: i do also agree its maybe somthing to do with the state economys are in atm cause like someone said, a lot of fs threads are just being completly overlooked and people arent buying

i do agree we could maybe do with a seperate trade forum/sub forum, as i dont want to just be seeing FS threads on the main forum page all day long, after all its a tech forum where people come for help and people come to help alike

22. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In a city, thats in a state which is in the US, an
    Like how general nonsense is... not counted in the recent posts, and post count.

23. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Wow, you mean you think that the new price less approx. the govt VAT slice is a "deal" for people, who now have a second hand item and possible warranty problems?

TPU is not a "BAIL ME OUT" for people to pay top dollar for the stuff you dont want anymore. Are you a mortgage bank? Nope. So dont expect to get a free ride :roll:

I think some good advice is to go look on ebay for a fair "market price". The advantage of trading on TPU is no fees. But dont expect to get more for your kit here than anyone else. Dont treat TPU members as an opportunity to dump stuff at inflated prices.

If it aint selling, NOBODY HERE IS INTERESTED. Is that a better quote?

24. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: