1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Revamping the posts and system specs

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by panchoman, May 1, 2008.

?

Should the posts & system specs be revamped?

1. Yes!

95.8%
  2. No

4.2%
  1. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    I would like to introduce a concept for how posts should look. this concept is suppossed to reduce the size of posts, and signature content, while cleaning up posts and making them look excellent.

First off, i would like to introduce multiple system specifications. multiple system specs would allow users to post about their multiple systems (being tech enthusiasts, many of us have multiple syustems) in their system specifications, instead of having to waste signature space to display their information. also, you can see that i added some additional categories, which would help make the system specifications look better. also, another possibility is the ability to put benchmarking information too, as many people like to show these off.

[​IMG]
    --multiple system specs concept.

Second off, i would like to introduce an idea to revamp one's posts to shorten them and make them look better. theres quite a lot of information in the pictures, so i'll let them speak for themselves(all pictures and data correspond to a 1024x768 display/screen)

[​IMG]
    --A typical post of mine. Take note of all of the information that can be put in the area that was wasted. To repair the problem, here is a solution:

[​IMG]
    --A typical post of mine with the proposed design. Take note of how much of the blank area shifted to a lower position, an area that would be filled by another post. Once again, look at all of the text that could be put into the new blank area (fonts used for all examples is 12 point courier with sharp anti-aliasing). The area where i have put so much data and information would be an area where someone else could put a lot of valuable information and data.

[​IMG]
    --The user specs would open in a similiar way as the system specs and would display the data in the same style and fashion.

sorry this took me so long to come out with. I hope you guys like it :)

Solaris17, philbrown23 and ShadowFold say thanks.
  2. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would love multiple system specs!

3. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Both of your suggestions make total sense:

+1

EDIT

And thank you for reminding me to vote ...

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    dont forget to vote!

and i do apologize for the zillion typos.. i wrote it in photoshop -_-

5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Nice ideas but I dont really see where the difference in the post format comes in. Of course, Im not all here right now with family issues and the like but ya know...

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Nice idea man i like it

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I think each primary internal component should have the option for Cooling Details, I.E.

Motherboard: blah
    Cooling: meh

Graphics: ...
    Cooling: ...

Sure it'd make the System specs larger, but if not filled out it would not show, yet could provide more details that could possibly lead useful to other users with similar builds and different cooling, or when inquiring for help. I'd really like to see the option to detail cooling for MB,GPU,CPU, RAM, etc.

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    that might be overdoing it a little...

9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great idea! I liked it when you posted it in the other thread and I still do :toast:

10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That depends on who's opinion we're talking about ;)

Like I said just having the option would be cool...god knows members would use it...even if I was the only member that did, I'd love it as a feature. And like I said before, it'd add to the size, but it doesn't have to be used and like other items that you can fill out, it won't show up if you don't fill it out. I think it could be useful, so there! :cool:

11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    there's always misc info category that i put in for adding cooling things that you cant add into your other categories, but of course, you could always do evga 680i a1 w/ 70mm fan and it would fit..

12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but to me it looks sloppy, or too cluttered in each line filled...and some may be cut off or limited due to character counts. I'm sure WC guys may appreciate it, and misc info isn't a bad idea, just doesn't seem as appealing to what I'd prefer to see. But gotta have differing opinions out there! Hell I may be the only one that thinks it's even a decent idea...I'd much rather have an option, even if limited to 3 items for Cooling details than a Misc line/Machine Name/Score List, again just imo though.

13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    lets try to get this approved and put into play before we start exploring other scenarios and specifics :)

14. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    come on people, vote and post!

67 views and only 6 votes :(

15. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of the views came from guests not members so...... Or is it only members that count?

16. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Way too many guests! Sign up we dont bite :D

17. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As you can see in the home page theres only 100 members online while 3000 guests. WTF??!? AND WHO PICKED NO FOR VOTING I WILL PERSONALLY KICK HER/HIS ASS.

18. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well its the poll that will really catch a mod/w1zzard's attention you know.... if only 6 people vote.. it will show that this topic/idea isn't as important or wanted =/ but if theres a lot of posts (especcially unanimous ones) then it will really stand out and show the tpu team that they should revamp the system specs & posts you know.

19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I do agree...and if you really want the support of the community we need to get their suggestions fired up, and accept them as options. I stand behind my suggestion, to me it'd be a small change for a positive impact, your changes are good also, and will have a positive benefit. But do keep an open mind Pancho, as others may come up with suggestions, bat too many down and others may read through and overlook this thread. Not being offensive or anything, just what I've seen and dealt with in the past...you have a positive thing going, but give it some time to mature...this isn't one of those quick-fix situations...it needs time to become read, maybe the users it with interest aren't logged in at the moment, or they're busy elsewhere...just be patient for now, I think it will pay off later. Don't know how long you set the poll for, but give this thread a week to see if it's worth pushing for and bringing up to the staff here...maybe the time is not right. They may not be interested in more work after updating the software for the forums yesterday...who knows.

:toast:

20. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    yup true, and of course im open minded.. i do like your ideas for some more cooling slots.. which let me to the idea of maybe having custom slots.. like maybe you dont want to name your system, it would be sweet if you could rename that slot and make it a cooling for your gpu slot instead, etc.

21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Now we're onto something...that's perfect...choose what you want to list within certain "extra" options of sorts in a sense. Dunno if renaming slots is a good idea, there's still a healthy level of immaturity that will just ruin it for those mature enough to properly use such an option, but within a list of pre-set options we could later have a poll on is a good idea. You have some great ideas, I hope this thread leads to the changes that this community could benefit from!

:toast:

22. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Multiple systems is a great idea, but I'm not sure if I like the "User Specs" idea. I think if space is an issue, then the pictures in signatures should be hidden like the system specs are right now. Some signatures provide useful information linking to different threads or news, but having a photoshopped picture of your username and favorite brands is pretty redundant when you already have an avatar. It would be cool if the user had more options in what is minimized vs. what isn't so they could decide for themselves.

23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Panch,

You should have seperated the two out in the poll. I didn't vote because I like one idea but not the other.

I think the idea about having multiple system specs is great, but I don't like the idea of hiding the user's information under a "user specs" drop-down.
    I glance regularly at a user's location (if included) to see where they are from, as it might influence my response to their post. I would not like to have to click a drop-down every time I want to see that information.

It might be nice if the user information could be stuffed into the post header (where the date, time and post number reside).

24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I think it is a great idea!. I can put my Bro's system in System 2 and our other alternate computer in system 3.

25. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and another thing Panch. The space you would save by condensing the user specs would be used up again when people added multiple system specs. Unless the system specs used a multi-tiered approach.