1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 banned in EU in fresh Apple patent twist

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, Jul 25, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    A German court has ruled that an existing ban on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 that prevented the device from being sold in the country should be extended across the entire European Union -- although the larger Galaxy Tab 10.1N can remain on sale.
    Samsung's Galaxy Tab 7.7, the smaller version of the popular tablet, had been banned in Germany in September 2011. The Dusseldorf Higher Regional Court ruled today that the ban should be extended to all 27 European member states, on the grounds that the device infringes Apple-owned patents that date back to 2004.
    The South Korea-based technology giant said it was "disappointed" with the court's ruling, and reiterated its position on protecting against its intellectual property rights, with methods "including legal action."

However, it's a different story for Apple's bid to seek a sales injunction against the larger, more popular Galaxy Tab 10.1N -- a revised version of its predecessor, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which was under scrutiny in several countries, including Germany, for allegedly copying the iPad's design.
    The Dusseldorf court said today that the design changes were significant enough to differentiate the new tablet from the older version, and the original injunction that prevented the sale of the device in Germany should no longer apply.
    This comes only a week after a U.K. victory for Samsung stemming from a ruling that the Galaxy tablets weren't "cool" enough to have infringed the iPad's design. Apple was consequently told to place an "advertisement" for Samsung on its U.K. Web site and in British newspapers informing the public that the company did not copy Apple's products, in a bid to counteract the negative press Samsung may have suffered.

The EU-wide sales ban could conflict with the U.K. ruling -- which covered three Galaxy Tab products, including the Galaxy Tab 7.7.
    The rulings are based on preliminary injunction requests, and full trials yet to be held to gauge the full merits of each case.
    Samsung said it "welcomes the court's ruling which confirms our position that the Galaxy Tab 10.1N does not infringe Apple's intellectual property and does not infringe laws against unfair competition," adding that Apple's "generic design patents" could see innovation and progress "restricted."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57478460-94/samsung-galaxy-tab-7.7-banned-in-eu-in-fresh-apple-patent-twist/

http://liliputing.com/2012/07/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-7-banned-in-europe-apple-lawsuit.html

gopal says thanks.
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    samsung is probbaly one of the shittiest technology giants ever.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    and yet they are a world leader in many fields, not just in TVs and general home entertainment and make the best LCD-panels out there that go into the more expensive 27-30" Dell monitors if they arent LG ones.

Lets see you be as successful as them.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    You do realize you're talking about a company that makes one of the best smartphone chipsets. They also make SuperAMOLED Plus displays which are imo brilliant. And their cameras are consistently high quality in pretty much all models starting with 5mpix mid range models.

They sure are sucky sometimes at implimenting the tech but you can't deny the fact that their tech is advanced.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  5. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    <insert above points here> :slap:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    actually Apple is... douche bags of the entire industry

1Kurgan1 and de.das.dude say thanks.
  7. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Apple for the reminder that I shouldn't buy your products.

micropage7 says thanks.
  8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i dont hate them only because of their R&D is good. else what ever they make dont last at all.

phanbuey says thanks.
  9. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    the only reason they can be succesfull is because they make cheap stuff which dont last long and they are able to sell lots of it, just because its cheap. :laugh:

but i admit they do have a good R&D dept which makes them stand out.

10. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    But they're one of the biggest and successfull company that ever exists.

Just look at their products. They have TVs, refrigerators, microwaves, printers, air conditioners and shits.

11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Samsung are somewhat similar to Apple when it comes to their products.
    Both of them rarely fail in the loos department with their products which I believe is the primary reason for their success.

12. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yes mostly that, youre correct indeed XD :laugh:

13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    your reasoning is flawed.

I wouldnt call their UE65ES8000 TV "cheap". That tv costs more then you will even earn in a month or even 3 or 4 months. (maybe 6months-1year if you convert that figure into rupees)

secondly why would anyone buy the same product or any products from that same brand if they always kept on breaking??? If Samsung are as bad as you claim them to be then they should have went out of business a long time ago.

Yet they are still here and their products are winning awards and extremely positive reviews from all sorts of gadget and tech sites.

either you have extremely bad luck and everything breaks when you touch it or you know fuck all about looking after your hardware/gadgets or whatever etc etc.

My family have had different samsung tvs over the years and they all worked flawlessly and purchased at a decent price (discount included)

itsakjt says thanks.
  14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Apple is probbaly one of the shittiest technology giants ever.

n-ster and Depth say thanks.
  15. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    My Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD died after 2 years of use and i have 3 more Samsung products in my home that work flawlessly,so what can i say?Everything must stop working one day.

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I can't for the life of me understand why these products are being banned. Someone... anyone?

17. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Cause apple is a patent troll.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  18. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to patent the tin can.

Fuck everyone right over.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  19. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't help myself...

itsakjt and Sasqui say thanks.
  20. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cause, err, uh, it's rectangular?

(I seriously dunno dude, it's apple logic). :confused:

21. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    well i for one wouldnt blame apple this time. even though i really hate apple.

the thing is this wouldnt be the ffirst time samsung has copied the design from someone else.

only a month back one of my dads friend showed me a phone which i swear was the black berry,

but then he said that no, and showed me the samsung badge. it looked exactly like the black berry bold!

he said that samsung stopped making that model now :p

22. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i did mention not everything is bad.

and there is indeed a reason to buy from someone if their products go kaput after a while.

eg. take cell phones. most people change phones every 2-3 years.
    so as long as they buy a phone that will last 2 years and is also cheap, they will prefer that over slightly more expensive phones that last 7 - 8 years.

another example is the chinese. they make shitty stuff everywhere. by your logic they should have been out of business to, but they are an economic super power for a similar reason, they give and can make stuff at a fraction of the cost. so who cares if your chinese thing breaks, its easier to buy a new one!

this is a time when people just replace broken stuff and not like the old days when people would "fix" stuff. so you see quality has a much looser value. as long as they last 2-3 years a thing is good for the market. its cheap, so its attractive to the buyers. and its a win win situation for both parties.

its not things that i touch break.
    half a year ago every one was laughing when i bought a nokia c6 instead of the more feature rich samsung android that htey were buying. now i am haha-ing at them whenever they are making a trip to the service centre 'cause something or the other is wrong.

p.s:- swearing and using abusive words against others and trying to make others look small only shows how dumb and arrogant you really are.

23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Euro nation disagrees then one country tries to pass a law for all of them... lol

Man you are dense. Look at the pictures above. One of tthose tablets from I think 2003 hadnmore features and power than the original ipad. I'm posting from my kindle though so I will link the exact one later.

24. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Huh?! Yea they only make some of the best, most reliable hardware in the world.. lmao.
    My 50" samsung TV and my 1TB samsung HD beg to differ..

25. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    yeah...nothing but their R&D department.

Not really, I had a samsung Jet S8000 that I had for about 3 or 4 years. I couldnt wait to get rid of it now that Android had matured. then i blew just under £300 for a Sony.E Xperia Arc S which was their flagship around Q3/Q4 last year. I wouldnt call that cheap either.

Most people are on contract though and being offered a newer handset every year is just the norm. but you could still keep the old phone and sell the new one.

My Xperia Arc S, will do at least 2-3years unless it breaks.

Not always, It depends where you go - just like India or Pakistan, you can either take your ideas to a place where they will build it as cheap as they possibly can and totally skimp out on quality or you can take it to better places that charge more but use better quality components....

Its not the chinese that are bad - its the west and their corporate douchebaggery that want EVERYTHING made for as cheap as possible thats bad.

The chinese have great craftmenship. Its when you give them a stupidly low budget to go build your stuff that QA and reliability becomes questionable.

apart from the exploding battery in the new Samsung S3, most of my friends still have working S2's if they havent upgraded yet.

If you want to get a gimped handset - thats your choice to make. I personally like the features that a more advanced handset has and i find some of them quite useful for day to day tasks. though saying that Nokia's Symbian OS has its own issues.

itsakjt and AsRock say thanks.