1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandy Bridge - Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Sandy Bridge is the biggest disappointment of the year
    January 2, 2011

SANDY BRIDGE WAS shaping up to be the killer CPU of the year, a huge step forward in the 'uncore', decent graphics and big gains in the core as well. Instead, we got broken graphics, non-working feature sets, and a showstopper bug. What a shattering disappointment...............

LINK:
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2011/01/02/sandy-bridge-biggest-disapointment-year/

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    wow January 3rd and he has had his worst of the year....lol

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Give it time, I'm sure he will find something from nVidia to replace it shortly.:roll:

Plus, he bases his entire essesment of it "failing" on the fact that there are no GPU drivers for Linux yet. Intel isn't that concerned with the less than 1% of people running linux, and aren't going to hold up a huge platform launch for it.

Basically the entire argument can be summed up as follows:

• The USB3.0 chips used on the motherboard was slightly buggy during OS install, but there were plenty of USB2.0 ports that works just fine, so it really wasn't a problem.
    • There are no graphics drivers available for linux.
    • Rantings about how shitty performance is with no graphics drivers installed.
    • All of the graphical problems go away if you just us a $30 descrete card if you plan to use Linux, but that isn't an acceptable option.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    right, exactly where I was going.;) I'm sure old Charles will find way more issues this year, and likely they will have less mellow dramatic titles.

5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    we have bulldozer coming dont cry :eek:

Super XP says thanks.
  6. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Charlie Demerjian - Biggest Disappointed Ever

Fixed.

But I do agree that SB is fairly disappointing. Having one clock generator for an entire platform is insane. I have other negatives but that's the biggest for me.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I don't really care much for candy bridge;) anyways, my OCed i7 920 4ghz is still plenty for me now:rockout:, I just need a new video card and Im set. Im looking more forward to AMD's bulldozer which should be more exciting:toast:

8. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Don't know about you guys, but I don't see anything disappointing about the i7 2600K having higher overclocks with less heat and power consumption than current i7.

cyriene says thanks.
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    but they have effectively removed overclocking, limiting power to what they give you

10. cyriene

cyriene New Member

Thanks Received:
    QFT. I don't see much disappointment at all. For mainstream use this is a win.

Although not being able to OC the cheap parts might help AMD, most people (mainstream) don't even know what overclocking is...

You can still overclock, just have to buy the unlocked part. Though, I wish all the cpus were unlocked and not just the pricey ones. But as I just said, this is a mainstream part. The enthusiast parts for us TPU users will be coming later in the year to replace x58 so we'll see what Intel does with that.

11. KieX

Thanks Received:
    What you have is two segments, the enthusiast and the mainstream.

Mainstream SandyBridge without the "K" denomination offer similar perfomance at less power use. They are not intended for OC, fair enough, this is not what we should be looking at. At this level the older 1156 and 1366 is better choice for enthusiast.

For enthusiast, you get a "K" series CPU that allows you to overclock beyond 4.3GHz on AIR. And uses less power to do so. And if the £250 suggested by TechRadar is true that's about right for that level of performance.

12. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    oh, thats fine, i heard from on of my buddies that it is the X58 replacement

13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I too expect things to work perfectly without proper drivers. By every metric SB beats x58. Only in rare instances does the 980 beat a k. Is it really so important that nobody feel like their system is outdated that they have to go twist things around like this? I for one am getting SB, selling my H70 (SB does fine on stock!!), and enjoying my efi and the other latest features. That and actually being able to run my ram at full spec. I expect the whole thing to only cost me $100.

parelem says thanks.
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  15. parelem

parelem

Thanks Received:
  16. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    The turbo feature = limited overclocking anyway but I must admit I was disappointed personally

17. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    yeah but most of these records are expected using ln2 and shit, hell i bet before long someone tops out the 5.7ghz limiter no prob to. but everyday users will be able to achieve 4.5ishghz with the same temps as users now at 4.1/4.2 so even though its a slight improvement, it is a improvement none the less

18. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    So for us I7 920/930/950 owners, is Sandy Bridge worth the update or should we wait until the end of the year for the X58 equivalent?

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Read the reviews. From what I gather, no.

20. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering if our Charlie is on crack? He certainly appears to be delusional.

For those that remember, I used to support him in the past, as he knew what he was talking about (or at least seemed to) and was good at exposing sharp practices within the industry.

But now?

He was supplied prerelease hardware with drivers only for Windows. He's then surprised and aggrieved when the damned thing doesn't work on Linux. He doesn't even mention Windows. That's such an elementary, cretinous mistake, that I don't know where to begin. Even the people in the comments take the piss out of him for this.

Look here, there's an update to the article:

I mean, duh! :rolleyes:

INSTG8R says thanks.
  21. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, effectively it is last years tech with lower price points (from anandtech*). If you have a good core i7 now there really is no need to upgrade unless you really want to - which lets face it, a lot of us do for the hell of it.

But it's not like a gfx upgrade, it's the whole new mobo thing again as well....

* But Anand liked it - the k2600 was very good and overclocked like a breeze.

22. Dave65

Dave65

Thanks Received:
    Ill be keeping my 1156 for a while,it does all I need it to do,and it looks fricken great in my case:toast:

23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for EFI, otherwise it's pretty much what I thought it was.

And charlie is actually right here: It probably work like crap on Linux. For a reason.

24. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Intel was sure to disappoint, because it has no need to amaze us, having no concurrent.

25. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Y'all gotta be impressed by the overclocking. A simple bump in Vcore and multiplier get you 4.6-4.8 Ghz.