1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 6850 + Arctic Cooling Accellero

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Garrgoyle, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I'm puting together a project and need help. I just bought a 6850 a Arctic Cooling GPU cooler on ebay. I need to know a few things. Can I use this cooler out of the box as it is or will I need attachments like extra thermal grease? They'll be coming in few days so there is no rush. I will plan on doing some OCing as well with this setup and running. What kind of performance increase can I expect like this over my current Sapphire 6770OC Edition and this setup with an OC and at stock clocks. Previously I was using two GTX580'sOC on my spare 750W PSU and performance was not crash hot, for what I expected from them (it's the PSU I know. So I downgraded until I have the time to put together a more organized power assembly. I haven't benched the 6770 yet and I don't want to OC it more than it is right now. I have only played HL2 on it and performance was about 120 frames per sec avg. WIll I need to do anything more than what I have done today. What kind of Thermal Pastes can you get online? Is there anyone else with this kind of setup willing to share their experience?

My sys specs are:

Core i7 920 @ 3.29ghz
    Corsair 6gb DDR3 2ghz
    rog rampage 2 extreme x58 ich10r
    recon 3d fatality pro
    haf 932 (well cooled)
    pc p&c 750W psu

on the psu. I'm guessing right now I won't need an upgrade for the 6850 , unless I get two or three, but what about my sound? ( I know I should have upgraded for the 580's, but that's another story [1250W psu blew up])

i am a gamer. not full time. mostly sp not mp except some SL and WOW. no mp shooters mostly sp shooters.

all I need my computer for is design work 'simple' gaming and benchmarking comparison.

I am I doing ok so far? :shadedshu
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so ebay says the card and cooler are now shipped and on their way, YESS!
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    TBH your should have picked up a 7950 or waited until the 7870's come out
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey bro. thanks for telling. I should let u kno that I am 31 yo now. I don't need bleeding edge like I did when I was 16. I still want to have fun, but 1000fps water cooling 4 way sli doesn't do it for me anymore :)
  5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    HMM well atleast a 560TI 448core would have been a great choice. The 6850 is quite weak for newer games.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol. it is not perfect. i gave the 6770 a run on syndicate yesterday and it was lag crazy! graphics tho were very sharp! imo 130 for 6850 is not bad considering I expect the perform of 5830 or less. like i said I like a clean 'working' machine. not interested in anything else. cheers :)
  7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Valid point! Well enjoy the new card :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was going to say well I will for what I can . thanks
  9. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    That AC cooler should be fine out of the box. Check the thermal paste it comes with as it may be dried out if the cooler has been sitting around for a year or two. If it is dried out, pick up a tube of non-conductive thermal paste (MX-3 or MX-4 should be OK). Another item that may give you some trouble is the thermal adhesive/thermal pads for the ram and VRM heatsinks (some complaints about them falling off- check some reviews on it)

As far as installation, check YouTube and see if you can find an installion video if you're unsure about installing, it will help. Will you be running passive or putting a couple of fans on it? It may run OK passive in your case as long as you don't push it too hard.

6850 power requirements aren't very high so your 750w PSU should be fine.

As far as gaming with it, it will be a decent improve over a 5770/6770 and be fine for older games and some newer ones with lower resolutions/less eye candy... better than an XBox anyway :cool:

Good luck with your install :toast:
    Garrgoyle says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so card and cooler arrived today, yess.!

Here is the 'unboxing' an assembly

note: I had a tough time finding the voltage chips for the included heatsinks, but they fit. I just had to work it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Garrgoyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    here is a performance comparison of the 6770 with the new card!

Nice!

[​IMG][​IMG]