• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire X1600Pro AGP Pipelines

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
well heres the basics. try to keep it at 35c idle and under 60c load (assuming a 25c room temp). if you cant get those temps with stock cooler the upgrade. if anyone needs extra help just contact me on aim or msn.

moe300

I have the x1600 pro as well. With stock cooling and no overclocking mine idles at about 66-68°. Playing counterstrike source it hits the 80° mark plus a little. This worries me, but I don't have any issues while playing the game. Are you guys saying the stock cooling is insufficient? Why do they design the card this way? What is the best heatsinc fan combo to get?

moe300

Update... I decided to remove the stock heatsink and use some artic silver. Absolutely jaw dropping temp. drop. Down to 48°C idle! I can't beleive removing the silvery stock junk and using artic silver made so much of a difference! Still want to get a better heatsink/fan combo. Any suggestions on what fits are appreciated!

devnulllore

moe300 said:
Update... I decided to remove the stock heatsink and use some artic silver. Absolutely jaw dropping temp. drop. Down to 48°C idle! I can't beleive removing the silvery stock junk and using artic silver made so much of a difference! Still want to get a better heatsink/fan combo. Any suggestions on what fits are appreciated!

Hi,

I just got an X1600pro as well. How do you monitopr the temp?

I have some Arctic Silver paste left over from my CPU fan overhaul. Do you think it is a good idea to replace the stock paste now?

Thanks,

~dev

moe300

devnulllore said:
Hi,

I just got an X1600pro as well. How do you monitopr the temp?

I have some Arctic Silver paste left over from my CPU fan overhaul. Do you think it is a good idea to replace the stock paste now?

Thanks,

~dev

I would definitely use the artic silver. It really lowered the temps on mine with just the stock cooling. I bought a zalman heatsink/fan combo and it lowered my temps even more. I am now at about 35°C idle 45°C under load. Use ati tool 0.25 beta to monitor the temp.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
papubhai said:
the world's poorest overclocking software is atitool no doubt abt it use powerstrip 3.63 a better one ?????why not overdrive

Hey... have you noticed that the version for this card is a "BETA" version that is still in progress. And works very well if used correctly. Keep stupid comments like this to yourself, or don't post on these forums.

devnulllore

moe300 said:
I would definitely use the artic silver. It really lowered the temps on mine with just the stock cooling. I bought a zalman heatsink/fan combo and it lowered my temps even more. I am now at about 35°C idle 45°C under load. Use ati tool 0.25 beta to monitor the temp.

Ok, I just checked and it was 60c idle. I bumped the fan up to 50% from 28% and it dropped to 55 and still dropping slowly.

Was it difficult to get the old heat sink off of the GPU? That is the only part that worries me. Is it the hard cement like stuff or loose like the Arctic Silver? I've done it before with my Radeon 9800 and that came off easy as the paste flaked off but I have also had an instance where I pulled a chunk out of the chip because the paste was as hard as a rock.

Thanks so much for the info!

~dev

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Hmm, the paste must have dried, on all the new cards at least, they use thermal grease, instead of an epoxy based adhesive. Those temperatures are very high though, no wander your having problems.

devnulllore

infrared said:
Hmm, the paste must have dried, on all the new cards at least, they use thermal grease, instead of an epoxy based adhesive. Those temperatures are very high though, no wander your having problems.

Ok, I will give that a try and post the results.

~dev

devnulllore

moe300 said:

Hmm, Maybe I didn't do it properly but I don't see much of a difference. How did you apply the grease and how much do you recommend? I removed the heat sink, cleaned it up then applied a small bead in the middle of the GPU. Then I spread it over the surface with a thin piece of cardboard to even it out. I think I did it the way they say on the Arctic website. Maybe I just used too little. I was conservative because there was a LOT of the old stuff there and it made a mess, they say you don't need as much of the Arctic stuff and although it's not supposed to be conductive I didn't want it to oose over the surface mount resistors. They also say that after time it works better.

~dev

moe300

devnulllore said:
Hmm, Maybe I didn't do it properly but I don't see much of a difference. How did you apply the grease and how much do you recommend? I removed the heat sink, cleaned it up then applied a small bead in the middle of the GPU. Then I spread it over the surface with a thin piece of cardboard to even it out. I think I did it the way they say on the Arctic website. Maybe I just used too little. I was conservative because there was a LOT of the old stuff there and it made a mess, they say you don't need as much of the Arctic stuff and although it's not supposed to be conductive I didn't want it to oose over the surface mount resistors. They also say that after time it works better.

~dev

I just put a small bead in the middle and let the heatsink smash it down. That is how I have always done it. I found the stock cooling to be inadequate. My temps with the stock cooling were much like yours. Get a zalman and it will lower your temps by 10 deg. C.

devnulllore

moe300 said:
I just put a small bead in the middle and let the heatsink smash it down. That is how I have always done it. I found the stock cooling to be inadequate. My temps with the stock cooling were much like yours. Get a zalman and it will lower your temps by 10 deg. C.

hmm, ok. Well maybe it worked after all. I left the PC running and walked away and the temp of the GPU reads 48.3-min 52.9-max 51.0-avg while idle. I am going to fire up 3 games in a row and see what the numbers do. I am willing to bet I am not going to do much better with the stock fan unless I drive the speed up. I have it on 50% and if it goes over 65 it will go up to 76% then 100% if it reaches 85.

Which fan did you get? Any chance you can post a link?

~dev

moe300

devnulllore said:
hmm, ok. Well maybe it worked after all. I left the PC running and walked away and the temp of the GPU reads 48.3-min 52.9-max 51.0-avg while idle. I am going to fire up 3 games in a row and see what the numbers do. I am willing to bet I am not going to do much better with the stock fan unless I drive the speed up. I have it on 50% and if it goes over 65 it will go up to 76% then 100% if it reaches 85.

Which fan did you get? Any chance you can post a link?

~dev

Those numbers are close to what I got with the stock cooling, which is very hot! This is the setup I got from newegg http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118125

It will lower you another 10°C I suspect. It's pretty easy to install and very quiet. Good luck!

devnulllore

moe300 said:
Those numbers are close to what I got with the stock cooling, which is very hot! This is the setup I got from newegg http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118125

It will lower you another 10°C I suspect. It's pretty easy to install and very quiet. Good luck!

Your not going to believe this. I have that unit! It's the same one I bought for my older Radeon 9800Pro. The only problem is the memory heatsinks. they are stuck on the 9800 card and I don;t think they come off. I do not think it will be a huge issue anyway. Those memory chips don't get too hot do they? Think it will be an issue if I don't use them?

Come to think of it, it may be better if I don't. I have a 1 year replacement plan. If something happens to the card I can always replace the stock fan but if I put the memory heatsinks on and cannot get them off I void the plan.

I am going to put that on the new card tomorrow.

~dev

Last edited:

moe300

devnulllore said:
Your not going to believe this. I have that unit! It's the same one I bought for my older Radeon 9800Pro. The only problem is the memory heatsinks. they are stuck on the 9800 card and I don;t think they come off. I do not think it will be a huge issue anyway. Those memory chips don't get too hot do they? Think it will be an issue if I don't use them?

Come to think of it, it may be better if I don't. I have a 1 year replacement plan. If something happens to the card I can always replace the stock fan but if I put the memory heatsinks on and cannot get them off I void the plan.

I am going to put that on the new card tomorrow.

~dev

I would think you can put the memory heatsinks on with a little artic silver if you really want to take the time. You just may have to let it sit so it takes hold and they don't fall off. As far as I can tell, the ram doesn't get that hot anyway.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
You should get an Arctic Cooling or Zalman cooler to lower your temps. I wouldn't recommend anything over 50 degrees. I get about 31 load/42 idle on an X800XL @ 432/531 w/ a Zalman VF700-Cu LED. Great cooler, just doesn't exhaust out of case.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Azn Tr14dZ said:
I get about 31 load/42 idle on an X800XL @ 432/531 w/ a Zalman VF700-Cu LED. Great cooler, just doesn't exhaust out of case.

If you mean 42 degrees celsius idle on load, then you are using the fan probably at 100% speed at 12V.. Plus it is very cool in your office or computer room.

Or you just don't have the right 3d applications that really heat up you card...

devnulllore

Ok, new fan is on and it's much cooler. 38-40 idle and so far no higher than 48 after playing games. I am wondering if I should remove the memory heatsinks as I thought that now that I removed them from my orher card some of the sticky part is gone. This may inhibit the heat transfer. Do you think I would be better off just leaving them off? I have a good cross breeze over the card anyway.

~dev

devnulllore

Actualy I have to send the card back for a replacement. I keep getting video memory errors at the end of the Aquamark3 tests. Maybe that's the cause of all the stuttering i've been getting.

~dev