1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SICK of Cinematic trailers.

Discussion in 'Games' started by andrewsmc, Feb 3, 2013.

?

I am SICK of fakeass cinematic trailers

Poll closed May 14, 2013.
  1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    YES your sick of cinematic trailer or NO, vote please.

I am sick of the cinematic trailers! I feel cheated when they release these. Anyone can make a game look AWESOME by not using ANY real game play! What has happened? Are companies not confident in their abilities to produce a solid game and show teasers of real game play? Instead they make these completely fictitious trailers that are clearly NOT real game play and just a depiction of how cool a game could be if they tried hard enough. Who else is sick of this crap? I hope its not just me. :banghead:
  2. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    It depends. I like the trailers that show the story of the game/what can happen in the game, and I'm "smart" enough to know the game isn't going to look like the videos. I do prefer if they can do it all in real time, but I don't have a problem at all with them if they don't label them gameplay basically.
  3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well what game are you talking about then
  4. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Its a general statement. New games normally release cinematic trailers before anything else.

I think that everyone is "smart" enough to know that......
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  5. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Cinematic trailers serve their purpose, while gameplay trailers serve theirs. I don't pay attention to it that much, but I can't recall a time I felt cheated by a trailer.

For instance, if a company released a trailer and called it "in-game", but it was of a cinematic...technically, that's still "in-game". However, most people would point out how saying "in-game" is being ambiguous and may or may not, depending on context, be intentionally deceptive.

You'll often find when it's a gameplay trailer, they call it a gameplay trailer. By releasing a cinematic trailer, they're following the format of the movie industry and trying to appeal to people that way; with the flashier sequences. Whether or not that's working for them is up for debate.

TL;DR: I'm not sick of cinematic trailers because I know the difference between that and a gameplay trailer, and if I want a gameplay trailer, it isn't that hard to find one.
  6. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Meh, as long as their kewl, I'm kewl. If I want gameplay info, I'd look at previews and actual gameplay vids, not gameplay trailers showcasing hand chosen features/shinies that don't fully reflect the game.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    blizzard are especially good at this. the trailers for both WoW and Diablo are awesome, yet in game graphics are nothing to be fawning about.
  8. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Well then I don't see the problem. Obviously this is not representing the final game, or gameplay for that matter. It is called a cinematic trailer for a reason - it shows either things that can be done in the game, what the game may be about, an introduction to the characters, etc.
  9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Except company's like Sony don't like to specify whether its cinematic or in game then fanboys go nuts with there who's gfx are better wars.

Prime example GT5
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember when we played games that were 8 bit blocky pixels. You should of seen the art on the boxes for these games, it looked nothing like the game itself. I'm still traumatized to this day from it all. Not really though, we used to go outside and play and usually forget about what "could have been" for our electronic games.
  11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

:mad:
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  13. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Trailers are just PR materials and they can be as deceptive as the laws allow them to be.
    Think about the pictures of hamburgers you see on McDonald's ad. They are nothing like the real things, right? As long as they put the little words "pics for advertising only" or in our cases: "work in progress", then it should be fine (by the laws).
  14. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    They look epic, I like that.
    Of course, I am dissapointed, if game fails to deliver, but I still want my epic trailers!
    radusorin says thanks.
  15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Personally, it depends a LOT whether they're well placed to emphasize a certain story moment, or put in place of what otherwise could have been epic gameplay. I absolutely HATE it when you get to the end of a level and instead of it climaxing via gameplay, they finish off the battle via a cutscene.

It can go either way, but for the most part far too many games lately are littered with an excessive amount of over dramatized cutscenes. It's even worse when they use gimmicky graphics effects in them and make them unskippable.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
  17. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Vote with your wallet.
    radusorin and Kast say thanks.
  18. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Have your dreams come true yet?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like cinematic trailers, the game tries to tell a story and cinematic trailers help quite a bit imo. Use a bit of your imagination to plug the visual gap between the trailers and the gameplay.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I do not like. The gap. What I imagine is often not what happens.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If they're subtle storyline enhancers vs mini battle scenes and scan be skipped, I can see it. Otherwise they just rob you of gameplay and get boring after seeing them a few times.
  22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's about trailers, not cutscenes/in game movies.

But I don't see the problem, at all. It's the same thing that has been going on since the dawn of games. And if the fanboys didn't have trailers to fight over they would fight over something else. And often I'm a LOT more interested in the idea and story of the game than the actual gameplay. In fact I generally find gameplay trailers to be a lot more boring and useless.
  23. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    If the cinematic is actually part of the game, then it isn't a problem for me. If you want gameplay, there is youtube and review sites.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    cinematic trailers normally come out before engine trailers because the engine is normally not at a place to be impressive when they are first released. once the engine gets to that point engine trailers are released, but that's normally within months of release.

as was said, they both have their place.
  25. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if you dont like lies, then dont watch the trailers, i never watch trailers.

lying in trailers all started back in the 8bit days as erocker stated. They couldnt help it, they had to promote stuff.