• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

starting to build my new PC, based on 6th GEN Intel, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
hellp TPU,

im ordering (my new build) part by part slowly, since i have MANY other financial responsibilities. I have just ordered MY RAM, and depending on the amount of "extra" cash i have next month, ill order another component. I will only require a CPU,RAM, and MoBo, and finances permitting, a case.

My title asking for advice, is referring to anything that others who have already built 6th Gen builds may have to offer as far as suggestion's or things they wouldn't have done. I know how to build a PC, but I also know that each generation has it's ^'s & v's . So, if You have something in mind, Please mention it. Ill also post what Im getting, once it arrives, until then it's a Mystery O_O

Regard's

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
well, a 6600K and decent Z170 Board is going to be a Decent Plus,
you already have your DDR4 ram memory kit,
why replacing the case?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
why replacing the case?
because for one , the case in question is a Thermaltake commander i got when i was getting sponsorship from thermaltake, and it is time to retire it, also im tired of looking @ it. 2nd, it is too small to fit my 240mm RAD inside comfortably, so i need to upgrade for that reason too, 3rd, its not the best case, I have my eye on a certain phanteks case that is SWEET.

this is the RAM i went with, price was a serious factor ;)
Avexir 2400Mhz Blue 16Gb. (2x8Gb)

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
im in love with my new case, commander G42 window!

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Last edited:
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
i have a bit of an update/indecision , and would Really like peoples opinion if i could have it.

I have been looking into the cost/performance of the new intels in comparison with my Current build, and am having some REAL reservations about upgrading to a new core build, @ such a cost when the performance increase is going to be fairly minor.
The new intel chips seem to encode, and zip a decent bit faster, along with some obvious other increases that would be expected, and efficency increases, but all that stuff doesnt really affect me. Im also not phsyced about not being able to use my current RAM , since DDR4 would be a must.

So my thinking is that since i already have a 1150 PC built in my possesion, i would go to 1150, and that way i could have the benefit of interchangable parts if ever needed, and Would only need to buy a Case, a CPU, and A motherboard....i may even be able to canabalize the PC i already have here for Some parts,

So these are my thoughts, if you feel im underestimating the Perf increase of the new 6600's let me know, or if you have any other input include that as well, as long as it is on topic with my subject, and constructive'ish.

thanks, and regards..

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
My suggestion is to read the Andand review of the 6700K, in particular, the conclusion. IN there they state that from Ivybridge on up, there isn't much of a point to upgrade. While from Sandybridge on down, it is.

IIRC, they were seeing 20-25% increases over SB...I wouldn't call that minor... but you may. I don't see the point in upgrading when you are not doing it to the latest generation and can afford to do so.

EDIT: Don't you already have the ram anyway?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
X99 for the win .... its better compared to skylake....also uses DDR4,

Regards,

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, as the saying goes:

"Build it and they will come"

Just please be sure to find out exactly who "they" are before proceeding :D

j/k...good luck with the build.

But seriously, IMHO, skylake would be waste of money at this point in time for you. I would wait for Kaby or whatever the next gen is... but instead move to X99 for now as others have said.....it offers several improvements over Z87/97 that will be appealing for some people ......

Wait up to 11 months? That isn't due out until late 2016 or so... or at least 2H 2016... that's a long time when there is an apparent need now, no?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
At this point X99 is going to be a great build, there are millions of comparisons here about those platforms, solid motherboards, and also prices are getting down, in my humble opinion I would take X99 and 5820K for a new build,

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
i Do have the RAM, but i can return it free of charge. I REALLY dont NEED a new build, i just want one, ive been on SB since its release, and IMO its time. I can understand that anandtech says it may be worth it, but if IB and forward are not worth it, Surely SB is the same. how much over SB does IB have ? it cant be much if anything.

I would like to upgrade to the Latest, but in this case, the Latest will cost me....
CPU - 250
MoBo - 60-130' ish
RAM - 70
Case - 100

480 - 530 or close enough, for 20% increase, and im CERTAIN that the increase is not across the board, but instead in certain tasks, like encoding ,etc.my most cpu intense task is gaming, and 2500k is still VERY viable.
I suppose i would like to move to 4690 becasue of the fact that it would only cost me , the CPU, and the Case. and i could recycle my curent to a child for them to use.
none of this is in stone, i just had reservations, and felt like taking a step back. also im REALLY cheap :)

thanks for Your replies.

As I said, read the Anand review. It goes over numbers, I also mentioned them. You can also check The Techreport for how much, if any difference there is in gaming from CPU to CPU as they test that. But Surely, it is not the same. The difference between SB Skylake is larger than you seem to feel.

The reviews and facts are out there. Its up to you if the differences are worth it. ;)

EDIT: Here -> http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

The Results
Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance. In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge. That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap...

When we ratchet the CPUs back up to their regular, stock clockspeeds, we see a gap worth discussing. Overall at stock, the i7-6700K is an average 37% faster than Sandy Bridge in CPU benchmarks, 19% faster than the i7-4770K, and 5% faster than the Devil’s Canyon based i7-4790K. Certain benchmarks like HandBrake, Hybrid x265, and Google Octane get substantially bigger gains, suggesting that Skylake’s strengths may lie in fixed function hardware under the hood....

....With all that, I’m going to make a bold statement.

Sandy Bridge, Your Time Is Up.

A large number of users invested into Intel based platforms during the Core 2 Quad, Nehalem and Sandy Bridge releases. Sandy Bridge was notable because it inferred a large performance gain at stock speeds, and with a good processor anyone could reach 4.7 GHz and even higher using a good high end cooler. With that, Intel has had a problem enticing these users to upgrade because their performance has been constantly matched by Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell – for every 5% IPC increase from the CPU, an average 200 MHz was lost on the good overclock and they would have to find a good overclocking CPU again. There was no great reason, apart from chipset functionality to upgrade. That changes with Skylake.

From a clock-to-clock performance perspective, Skylake gives an average ~25% better performance in CPU based benchmarks, and when running both generations of processors at their stock speeds that increase jumps up to 37%. In specific tests, it is even higher. When you scale up to a 4.5 GHz Skylake against a 4.7 GHz Sandy Bridge, the 4% frequency difference is only a tiny portion of that. There are other added benefits, such as the move to a DDR4 memory topology that has denser memory modules, as well as PCIe storage and even PCIe 3.0 graphics connectivity.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I suppose i would like to move to 4690 becasue of the fact that it would only cost me , the CPU, and the Case. and i could recycle my curent to a child for them to use.
none of this is in stone, i just had reservations, and felt like taking a step back. also im REALLY cheap :)

thanks for Your replies.

All I really needed was a video card upgrade but got a completely new build last month for that same reason - the kid's Core 2 Duo was over 7 years old. So if it helps push you over the line...

Otherwise, the numbers are *there* but my day-to-day experience isn't all that different going from a FX-8120 to an i5-6600 in my opinion. I was more excited going mITX from ATX because of the reduced physical space than any performance gains I've gotten.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
i guess you are fine with the 2500K... no need to upgrade, why not giving that rig a couple of years more of gaming, Get a 970 and keep rocking with that rig... im almost in the same situation, im on Ivy since its launch.. also im pretty happy with it, no need to upgrade,

Regards,

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
well, either decision aside, I initiated a return of the Avexir RAM kit i ordered because i want something with higher speeds. Ill just need to decide weather i want to stay with the ddr4 , or use that $ towards a new 4690k , and a case. If I DO go with the new skylake, i suppose that'll give me something i could sell for a couple bucks to recoup some $, or to put towards some other purchase, actually most of my build will be heading for a similar fate..or just as possible, donation town. Cost and Performace aside.. i think i might be having a little separation anxiety ;) dont wanna see my old girl go....:cry:

well, ill have the decision soon enough. thanks for the input folks.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
well, either decision aside, I initiated a return of the Avexir RAM kit i ordered because i want something with higher speeds. Ill just need to decide weather i want to stay with the ddr4 , or use that $ towards a new 4690k , and a case. If I DO go with the new skylake, i suppose that'll give me something i could sell for a couple bucks to recoup some $, or to put towards some other purchase, actually most of my build will be heading for a similar fate..or just as possible, donation town. Cost and Performace aside.. i think i might be having a little separation anxiety ;) dont wanna see my old girl go....:cry:

well, ill have the decision soon enough. thanks for the input folks.
keep the sandy... Oc the crap out of it... be happy ...
get a 970 or better video card....

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
i was looking @ these results here.....
Intel Core i5-6600K advantages over 2500k

• The processor performs 23% faster when running single-threaded applications.
  • Multi-threaded performance of the Core i5-6600K is better.
  • In memory-intensive programs, the Intel i5-6600K CPU has 16% higher performance.
  • The Core i5-6600K performs 45% faster in graphics tasks.
  • This processor features AVX2, F16C and FMA3 instructions, that were introduced in modern CPUs not too far ago. Although these extensions are not broadly supported by applications yet, their support should improve in future apps.
  • Power consumption of the CPU is lower.
this is the 2500k @ stock Clocks VS the 6600k I Have to imagine those numbers dwindle a decent bit when the 2500k is OC'd , and lets be honest , only a fool bought a 2500k and DIDNT OC it, its born to be OC'd.... I think I have a tendency to automatically include the OC in the 2500k's Performance...which is why im having issues with seeing the benefit in "up or side-grading" if you will. But i need to remember that the 6600k will OC too...id bet not a s well, but it will OC to Some degree. Intel ruined us with the 2500k :)

i need to just do it, im almost 40 Y/O, i deserve a nice new PC already
i think its about time to see just how far i can actually OC this girl...ive gotten her to 4.8Ghz years ago...ill need to set her up again.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
ok new pc for you !
let me know what are you going to do with old procesor, ram and mobo!

Regards,

Yeah, upgrade.

The 6600k will hit 4.5ghz+ with good air or an AIO. A 2500k at 5ghz still won't come close...

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
yeah i have an AIO already on the 2500, hopefully it'll fit, intel sockets are normally fairly compatible. actually corsair owes me a AIO too, so i could go that route too. looks like im back on the originally laid course again :)

i will.

okay what the Hell is that? O_O!! my TPU is going Crazy as Shit.

TPU sent me a nude pic. see for yourself

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
I don't think you should buy one part this month, and another next month, etc. If you find a DOA later, you have to process it as an RMA. (or did Amazon Prime change this?)
The Techreport
:eek: The i7-5775C won!

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I don't think you should buy one part this month, and another next month, etc. If you find a DOA later, you have to process it as an RMA. (or did Amazon Prime change this?)
I'd agree with this. Definitely save up and buy them all at once. Money sitting around collects interest. Motherboards sitting around collects dust. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.