• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

starting to build my new PC, based on 6th GEN Intel, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
i5-6600K VS Xeon E3-1245 v5

which one? the xeon has igpu(not that id use it), larger L3 same L2 , im a bit stumped by intel adding the iGPU. either way, these two chips compared leaves the xeon ahead, and the arent priced TOO far apart....any reason not to get a xeon these days? i know it USED to be a "bad" idea.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
you know the deal with ht..

yeah, it just USED to be a different chip, but now it has the iGPU, and its core /core equal or there about with the i5/i7 , in lcocks too ,and the right price (significantly cheaper than an i7) but it is core for core, on par with the i5's...it is 80Watt as where the i5's are 97ish or there abouts... it has the 8 threads, there just doesnt SEEM to me, to be a reason to NOT go Xeon nowadays....Please correct me if im wrong, but i was lookign @ CPU boss' comparison, and they are neck and neck (aside form the i5's lack of HT, and higher energy draw). this MAY be the route i go unless someone shows me a fault, or some facts im missing...Ive always wanted to build myself a HT'd PC, and I had one long ago, but not properly...Plus I could justify the xtra $$$ over an i5 becasue Newegg owes me some significant $_$ for something they did, and i think ill be putting it towards that

the lack of overclocking on the Xeon would CERTAINLY be a detraction from its side, that should certainly be mentioned.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
He would have to find a Z170 based board that supports the CPU would be my guess? Or that C232 or w/e? Does it O/C?

Im going to be honest here... I don't see the point in a Xeon for most users, including this one. The level of effort it is taking to make this choice, by itself, makes it not worth it. Get the 6600K if you are overclocking...if not the 6600. I really don't see the point in the Xeon unless he uses some of the features it has versus what the 6600K does not...

... and then we will start all over again when the dude waffles... :p

On a side note, I would also save up the cash and get everything at once. When you are ready to buy... hit us up again, don't drag this thread out for months. LOL!

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Personally, my thoughts are-

non-K i5->non K i7 ->Xeon -> K i5 -> K i7

Im going to be honest here... I don't see the point in a Xeon for most users, including this one. The level of effort it is taking to make this choice, by itself, makes it not worth it. Get the 6600K if you are overclocking...if not the 6600. I really don't see the point in the Xeon unless he uses some of the features it has versus what the 6600K does not...

Level of effort? It's just a forum discussion. I do agree with you on getting a unlocked K CPU over a Xeon, but personally, I'd take a Xeon over a non-K chip if similarly priced.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Personally, my thoughts are-

non-K i5->non K i7 ->Xeon -> K i5 -> K i7

Level of effort? It's just a forum discussion. I do agree with you on getting a unlocked K CPU over a Xeon, but personally, I'd take a Xeon over a non-K chip if similarly priced.
Heh, this isn't rocket science, and the guy has flip flopped throughout even with ample information here, and on the web to make an educated decision. That gets frustrating to me at times. Personal pet peeve on forums... The easy answer is to unsubscribe and not reply... my apologies. :)

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
The level of effort it is taking to make this choice, by itself, makes it not worth it.
i apologize that MY indecisiveness bothers You, but This is My thread, and I am simply "thinking outloud" as it were, The entire point to this is that I ask the help of others, Im certainly not looking to bother You, I am just as i said thinking outloud , and using the forum as it is intended. I haven't disregarded ANYONES input, including yours, and I certianly dont want to feel like My questions/thoughts are an annoyance, so please, if it bothers You, find another thread to comment on. I come online to unwind, and its people like You that just make some things unpleasant. This isnt My First interaction with You, but in Your Words "it doesnt take a Rocket scientist" for me to realize Your an unpleasant person. Ill ask that the thread be closed, and refrain from posting any further comments. jesus man.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I wouldn't upgrade from an overclockable sandy (2500k) to skylake at all, even if you got the 6700k. You've got more than 4 years between the release dates of the chips and you're still sitting at 4 cores. Not that 4 cores is a bad thing, or not capable, it just doesn't warrant the upgrade. Sure, it'll be a little faster, but unless you're doing some compute heavy work, you're not gonna notice it. You're not gonna see it in gaming, or anything else that doesn't directly benefit from having lots of computing power... and if that's your type of application, you're better off looking at haswell-e or the upcoming broadwell-e instead.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
He would have to find a Z170 based board that supports the CPU would be my guess?

According to Intel, Xeons will not work with desktop chipsets anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.