1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology DS207

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Tau, May 26, 2007.

1. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  2. Dark Ride Mushkin Rep

Thanks Received:
    Nice review. It's your first one for TPU I assume so welcome aboard. :toast:

3. Jandar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice review, but this Synology box also forgot what the DS106 forgot, they forgot to include NFS. Its not all Windows out there, there are also a few Unix people who think this box could be an addition to their services.
    We ourselfs got two boxes in a multivendor Heterogeneous environment (aka a mix of vendors in a Windows/unix environment), for unix we can only use the ftp option, for our linux boxes we use Samba but a native NFS client would be preferable. I hope that the people at Synology will think of the unix community and include a NFS client in their next firmware release....

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i assume you mean nfs server?

5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Nice Work Tau. Agreed I have never heard of Synology before. I thought this was gonna be like Symbology or something :)

6. eagledj New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a DS-207 in late June 2007. The unit seemed to work OK for about 3 weeks, when it began locking up, requiring a complete power off to restart. After restart, the unit would function for a number of hours, less if moving large files. On Aug 1 2007 I contacted Synology about the problem, and I've had numerous emails back and forth with them. They finally admitted on Aug 14 there is a problem with the unit. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to send me a replacement. Now, they are suggesting that they might be able to fix the problem with a software update, but that "might" be available in 1 or 2 weeks. I'm beginning to think the 1 year warranty is useless.
    If I had to do it again, I would go looking for a product from another manufacturer.