1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp! Official IC Diamond Test

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stinger608, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Not got Any TIM.... guess its a long way to Denmark ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. IC Diamond

IC Diamond Innovation Cooling Rep

Thanks Received:
    Last mailing I did to the UK was on avg 7-10 days - depends on whether they use the slow or fast boat....

3. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Slow boat.... You are not without humor, Sir :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I got mine today on my lunch, but will be a while before I can swap out the TIM. Hopefully before Thursday.

What's the recommended way to warm up the tube to make it flow more easily? Is there a certain temp I want the water to be?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    I do not warm it up myself - should be okay as is, I usually recommend that in the winter months with colder room ambient temps or when you pull it out of the mailbox and it's -10 C outside. you can always just put it in your pocket, heat vent, on top of a piece of warm electronics if you deem necessary.

I even microwave it myself for a few seconds when I come into the office in the winter with heat turned down. You do have to watch it closely though when you do that

Not recommended for any other compound, I absent mindedly microwaved a metal oxide compound a couple years ago and had a nifty little toxic fire going, it was pretty exciting lol

itsakjt, t_ski and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hi, IC Diamond.

So, I got a PM telling me staff would get seperate mailings from everyone else.

Well, you previously did the same sort of test, years ago, on another website, and the same applied. Except the sample I got back then had chunks in it that killed two VGAs byu scratching the surface of the GPUs when mounting the heatsink. This cost me over $800 in replacements.

So, info from between then and now, tells me that the sample was contaminated, so either the user that was responsible for shipping to staff on that site screwed with my sample, or you guys sent out some bad stuff.

I will not place my hardware under the same risk. I'd love to take part in the testing, but unless you send to me directly, I will not participate.

Thanks!

Dave.

7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Truth be told, I'd really like to see cadaveca's results with this stuff...

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I just saw that somehad commented that it's very thick and was easier to spread if it was warmed up a little.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    Could you post a photo of the damage.

10. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    So back then... you were part of a giveaway and you had extensive damage and did not mention it? Odd.

Point of fact is we have had over 23 giveaways with over 900 tests by end users and no reports of damage as you decribe- I have never had an email or phone call from any user with a complaint about wholesale damage to their equipment. And I can confidently say you never contacted me.

Contamination is very unlikely, we contract mix our compound to a company that uses multi million dollar mixing machines in a clean room environment, heated and under a vacuum. This is unlike our retail competitors who do their mixing in an open air environment with unfiltered air.

We buy our diamond from the number 1# Diamond Supplier in the USA and they supply to companies that make diamond optical lapping paper. "large Chunks" would not be possible and demonstrate a lack of understanding of the screening process, our contract mixer then samples all material for conformity to specifications. We then fill from the shipped can transferring the compound into sterile syringes. There is no opportunity for contamination in fact I seriously doubt any other manufacturer is a rigorous as we are.

We are not a bunch of Yahoos we make every effort to produce a high quality professional product. IC Diamond is used extensively in mission critical systems where performance and reliability is key to their use. It is used today in avionics, servers on Navy ships, Speciality LED lights for mining operations and oil rigs as well as emergency medical devices etc.

If you had that experience perhaps it was contamination on your end we always recommend cleaning sink and cpu. In any event end users here can report their results and we will see how things look at the end of the exercise.

stinger608 says thanks.
  11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i posted and emailed ages ago, what with the anticipation i now cant be assed, i posted weeks ago and no show. yes email was sent.:slap: see post 34

More than 25k PPD
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I sent in an email this morning, how long is the turn around for a conformation that I will be involved in the sample testing?

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    there is none brandon you just end up getting it in the mail lol.

14. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    Our suggested method of a 5.5mm bead on centre is a compression spread, most good retail heat sinks are 50 psi + in pressure. Add some heat and the viscosity changes so the compound spreads easily on it's own (cures as they say) without entraining or whipping(as with a manual spread) in any air which will cause performance/reliability issues. Unless you are in a sub 60F ambient room temperature no warming should required.

15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Ahh ok Crazy, I will just be on the look out. I will go ahead and install my cooler to get my cruncher back up and then change the paste once it arrives.

Will be comparing it to Arctic Silver Ceramique

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. IC Diamond

Thanks Received:
    we bulk ship once maybe twice a week - first shipment was last week - slow boat 10 days fast boat 7 days

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  17. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Will give this a shot. Going on my 2500k under a Xigmatek Gaia with it's stock paste on it.

ON MY HONOR IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE COMPOUND I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO TEST AND POST MY RESULTS

18. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    On my honor in exchange forfreecompound i do solemnly swear to test and post my results

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I did. With pictures. I was also staff on that forum. ;)

As I mentioned, it's clear the sample was contaminated. However, not by myself, as I have always been careful. I have been doing this PC hobby thing in a big way for the last 12 years. :p

So, rather than worry about it, I'd like one from you directly, that is all. No need to defend anything. I wanna give it a try, with a good sample, rather than what I got last time.

20. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    @IC Diamond,

Are the samples you are giving out in any way different than those available at retail?

21. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a forum post on this over at their site? I would like to see this before I use it as well. Not taking any sides here but want to see the issue for myself. I pay for my hardware and really do not want to ruin something due to a 5$ thermal paste.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I really do not think you need to worry. I received that sample via a third party, and somewhere between me getting it, and it being sent, the tube was spoiled. Because of this, I'd rather avoid the third party.

I tested both CPUs and GPUs, back in 2009. Only the post with the CPU results still exists. I still have those cards in my garage somewhere :laugh:. Anyway, in those threads back then, there are reports of staining, and the compound polishing off the writing on CPUs. The staining is an indicator of contamination, apparantly.

23. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh ok well I understand dave.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Forthe CPU testing, it was good, to be honest, but now I have CPUs with much higher power draws, so I very much want to check that out. I mean, I do have like eery current CPU, and then some. :p

25. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is the exact same tube as buying retail Arctucas. :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD