1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The 1 retro game that you couldn't bear the thought of not playing, ever!

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Jun 25, 2010.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    The 1 retro game that you couldn't bare the thought of not playing, ever!

I was just reading a thread and a guy claimed that he had never owned a console before :)eek:) and this got me thinking about how lucky I am to be 31 years old and to have been able to experience the greatest gaming era ever.

Im talking about the time when the NES and SEGA Master System were the best consoles around and the arcades were full of video games, not soul destroying, money guzzling fruit machines.

Could you imagine a childhood without gems like 'Super Mario World', 'Streets Of Rage', 'Sonic The Hedgehog', 'Duck Hunt', 'Golden Axe' & 'Shinobi'? (I could go on all day!)

So what Im asking is this, what game do you think defines your childhood and you coudlnt imagine a world without? (ie if it had never been created :eek: )

For example, for me personally, it would have to be 'Street Fighter II' (arcade, then later SNES). I used to visit the arcades with my m8s, take a £1 or so with me and play this game for hours. I used to hate it when people would muscle in on my game, by popping some cash in and challenging me. But they would soon realise that I was no noob on it and after a few Hadokens/Shoryukens, they would leave, red faced! :rockout:

So, what game would you pick? (please give a reason and state what system it was on)
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    stuartb04 says thanks.
  2. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Star Control 2 (PC, 1992), hands down.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy: Golden Axe belongs in the modern games section when you're 37 ;).
  4. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    What makes you say that game in particular m8?

You cheated, you picked 2. But as they are classics, I will let you off :) LOL about Golden Axe.

What system did you play JSW and MM on? Spectrum, Amstrad ?
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Sir Lancelot (Amstrad) - Pretty much the game we played at kids, before I got the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. We played other games as well, but mostly this one.
    Sonic 2 (Mega Drive/Genesis) - Need I say more? :D

There might be others too.
  6. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! I bet you could think of others. But this is exactly what Im talking about :)
  7. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Because it was the first game I've played that had an immersive universe, a sandbox-style game world where you could go where you wanted (It had thousands of planets to visit in hundreds of star systems), your own customizable flagship vessel, a storyline firmly on the border between humor and serious actions, an incredible soundtrack (for its time, obviously, within the constraints of the rather primitive sound output of the PC back then), puzzles to solve, battles to fight, more than 20 types of ship to fight with or against, enemies and friends to converse with and a galaxy-sized threat to defeat.

Seriously, even some 18 years after it came out, it is still a very, very good game (It has an open source clone I play quite often with improved, but still basic 2D, graphics and re-composed music which is really awesome).
  8. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Ive never played it, but i have to admit, for back then it sounds very good.
  9. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    It was and still is :)

If I had to pick another one, that would be Star Wars: TIE Fighter (PC, 1994). The campaign was linear, but the missions were varied and extremely fun. Plus flying an unshielded TIE craft vs. the pesky rebels and their shielded X-Wings, Y-Wings, B-Wings and A-Wings was pure adrenaline. I broke two joysticks playing that thing to death, lol.
  10. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I played on a Spectrum, before moving on to a Commodore 64. My first computer was the Sinclair ZX81 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81), the external 16k RAM module allowed me to play this other classic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Monster_Maze

I remember sitting for more five hours in front of the ZX81 with four friends playing a flight simulator: the controls required input from everbody and there were various hands controlling flaps, velocity and generally interfering on the touch-sensitive keyboard (I made pads by sticking together the little loops of paper used to stop pages from tearing in ring-binders): we were finally successful.

Those were the days :D
  11. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I used to love the little rubber keys on the Spectrum. Commodore 64 = :respect: The C64 was my first computer. But I used to play the Spectrum and Amstrad round my m8s house. I used to love karnov and Gauntlet on it :D
  12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never owned a console, and have never played any of the games in OP or any Sonic game for that matter.
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Lunar Lander I wrote for the Apple IIE in 1984

Tetris on the orginal Game Boy

The original PONG (yes, I played it at a rich friends house back in the 70's, LOL), and listening to Ralph Baer talk last year. I'm old.
  14. kyle2020 Guest

For me it was track & field on the megadrive . . . or (seeing as im a young buck compared to you lot :D) Sega VRally on the PS1 . . . Ah the memories :)
  15. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Really? :eek: You havent lived then :D How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

V-Rally on the PS1 was great fun. I remember playing it round a friends and as I crashed into a tree, the car shot straight up into the air, as in vertically! it didnt come down for a good 3-4 minutes.................we were in stiches, talk about a funny glitch :)
  16. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Final Fantasy. As in Final Fantasy I on NES. Back when you played RPGs, not suffered through 30 minute cutscenes.
  17. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Those were the days :) The days of real RPGs like Zelda :rockout:
  18. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
  20. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    God, I can't name just one here! C64 classics like Jumpman defined gaming for me when I was a little Thrackan, but for me, gaming really took off on PC. Basically, Lucasarts defined PC gaming for me in the Adventure, FPS and space flight genre :)

But if I had to choose 1 game, I'd go with Jumpman. Just because that's the first game I played and liked.
  21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Joust, just because it pisses me off so much (and I'm pretty sure thats universal). Also it always make me wonder who was the guy who said "I love the idea of jousting, so lets make them do it on ostriches that fly"
  22. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm still quite young (turned 18 not too long ago)... anyways I really liked Final Fantasy 7 and 8. Even before that I had a 3DO... the Shockwave series was a favorite.

I vaugely remember playing a game called Joust on my origional black and white Gameboy... I had a lot of games, and I actually had 3 Gameboys... this really old monochome one, the pocket black and white one, and the pocket color one... at some point in time I lost posession of everything except for the black and white Gameboy and Battle Bull. I even had a gameshark... gah.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure. You cornered the last boss on the left side of the screen and kept swinging until he died. Getting to him was a pain in the ass however.

Anyway there is no way I can pick just one retro game. Impossible.
  24. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Combat on the Atari. My brothers and I would play that for hours on end.
  25. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I know, but if you HAD to say just 1, what springs to mind ;)