1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The AMD Phenom II OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by ShadowFold, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    The most important aspect of the BE processors to me is the Northbridge multi being unlocked upwards. The cpu main unlocked is nice, but that's easy to do with the bus speed. Finding those northbridge compromises are usually much harder when you have a locked upwards multiplier.

Kei
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i swore BE parts were Totally Unlocked meaning no downlock or Uplock, only standard CPUs are locked.
  3. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    They are totally unlocked, I was just saying that the most important part of that unlock for me is the Northbridge being totally unlocked.

If they offered parts that had the northbridge unlocked upwards, but the rest were still locked upwards I'd still buy it. It's the most important multi for me.

Kei
  4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    hey guys im take a brief break from the forums for a # of reasons and JJ i know i havent istalled win7 yet if i do that i wont be able to finish your wallpaper im working on as currently i dont have enough HDD space to back everything up. Its still a workin progress.

anyway if anyone needs something from me shoot me a PM and ill see whats it about otherwise im avoiding TPU for a bit : :toast: to the PII overclock crew
    jjFarking and Kei say thanks.
  5. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    damn man, don't be lost. It's nice having you around dude.

I have the UD5 and it overclocks pretty darn good. So I'm assuming the UD4 must as well. :toast:
  7. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do what you need to do mate. Real life is still far more important than any forum ;)
    Good luck bud :rockout:
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting the UD5, so I may need your help with some bios settings and the such. I doubt I will though.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    LOL after reading my post i did say solid and i ment to say hydraulic - FML :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Anytime bro :toast:
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  11. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just get a Sempron for 35 bucks. You might even be able to make it a dual core. Anything else would be overkill for that motherboard. Unless you're throwing a graphics card on it of course. Then maybe get a regular dual core with a higher frequency.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Kei says thanks.
  13. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Good choice for that board :toast:
  14. rockleez

rockleez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got a Asus M4A79XTD-EVO and Phenom II x2 550 but when i go into bios, attempt to overclock or anything then save n reboot, it doesn't reboot, just stays black screen and i have to turn off the tower back off then ON before it works again n then it goes overclocking failed or settings changed failed.
    Does anyone know what the problem is?
  15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    i got the board for 40$ and i wanted something that would handle a 125-140W CPU
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Judging by what you've described, I'm assuming you don't hear a beep to confirm POST when it comes back on correct? If so that means that whatever setting you chose didn't take so it wouldn't POST, and that's why you had to turn the power off and back on. It would revert to a safe setting (the last thing you used usually) so that the system could run, and you can go from there.

When you're overclocking or tweaking ANY settings make sure that you are only tweaking one thing at a time so that you know what the problem is. The first thing to test I think would be the cpu multiplier which is easy to do, and will give the largest result with minimal effort. In order to do that I recommend that you set the cpu voltage to the default value which I believe would be somewhere around 1.350v. Doing that will help avoid running into any problems that might occur if the board tries to up the voltage too far when left on auto.

From there report back to us what you're able to get with the default cpu voltage, if you feel comfortable enough with cooling then go ahead and try the cpu multiplier again with 1.40v but only AFTER you've tested with stock voltage first.

We can go from there after that, and help you get your system screamin faster than it already is stock. :toast:

Kei
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
  18. rockleez

rockleez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol no settings work and theres no 1.350 only 1.375 and even if i change any other settings it dont work, like just trying to unlock changing to unleashing mode and doing that stuff, it dont work, save n reboot and black screen.
  19. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to change the settings without using unleashing mode to try and unlock the processor? If so what was the result, also what bios version are you on right now with your board?

You can find the bios version either looking at the main screen of the bios, or using CPU-Z in windows it will show on the 3rd tab called "Mainboard". 1.375v will end up translating to roughly 1.35v most likely anyway so it's more than safe to use for testing.

Kei
  20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    what is a good phenom I CPU?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    9850BE or 9950BE!!!!!!! :rockout:

Doesn't your board support Phenom II though? If it does I'd say go with maybe the PII 920/925 or something like that so it's not high wattage, and you still get all the speed boost (which is significant).

Kei
  22. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    can i be serious?
    really, no one is, if you not get it for nearly free,or as small gift, in my opinion... glad i missed that generation:eek:
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good + Phenom I don't exist. The 9850's and 9950's worked, they were not good. Phenom was responsible for AMD going down the toilet and losing a lot of market share.
  24. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    hmmm i might just go and get a 920 or 940. my board supports AM3 but im fuzzy on the wattage. when i bought my board the zotac website says they have tested with a phenom II 940 BE but now im reading that its a 65W only CPU. If it will not accept a good quad then i will try to resell it to get my money back due to me wanting a good quad on this board.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Velvet my phenom 9850 clocked as good as a lot of the Phrnom II's on here. 3.6. GHz @ 1.426v :D
    Velvet Wafer, JrRacinFan and Kei say thanks.