1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Heatsink with NO FAN...The Sandia Cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cadaveca, Jun 28, 2012.

1. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    You posted a picture of a radiator, and called it a condenser. That's what I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around.

Sandia is saying condenser, but the more common word for this type of condenser is heatpipe. The heatpipes are what they are using, and that is effectively a closed loop condenser (one end), absorber (opposite end), and radiator (surface of heatpipe over condenser area.

Maybe I'm missing something? If so, can you tell me what it is, because I cannot see it...
  2. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is a radiator, but it's a condenser as well. That one is actually from an AC.

Spending a lot of time on roof tops I see an awful lot of those things :laugh:

[​IMG]

( the whole thing is a radiator/condenser, it will have a radial blower type fan that's about 3 foot tall in that)

I imagine what is happening here is that my poor English is making what I say sound like gibberish.
  3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Sorry then, grammatical issues.

Condensor: a device that changes phases of a substance (condensor referring to condensing gas to a liquid)

Radiator: Passes fluid (liquids in cooling, though gasses are used in heating and chemical processing) through to exchange heat, but does not allow phase change.

Air conditioning uses both radiators and condensors, in a sealed and open loop combination. The condensor changes a gas into a liquid (freon or other coolant), then passes this liquid over a radiator. Phase changing as the liquid evaporates makes the radiator cold, so the gas inside the radiator (air) is chilled. The condensor loop passes the warm gas back to the condensor, to be turned back into a liquid. The open loop pumps chilled air into whatever is being cooled.

Again, engineering side. My bad.
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

correct. Its called a heat exchanger.

What happens in it is that the vaporised coolant gas which was vaporised upon exchanging heat with the inside of the room, now gets compressed by the compressor and also gains a bit of heat in the process because of the work done on it. so its passed through the radiator or heat exchanger.

[​IMG]
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    pantherx12 says thanks.
  6. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Dead horse!!!!

... Stop beating me please!!!!
    OneMoar and de.das.dude say thanks.
  7. mtcn77

Thanks Received:
    the manufacturer

After reading an interesting article about the inventor of the first vga cooler, I'm placing a guess as to the future manufacturer of this new tech: Arctic Cooler :)
  8. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    OOo thread necro ...
    /me grabs popcorn and counts the noobs that fall for it
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I hope not there coolers are expensive enough as they are lol.