1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is the UK the most damn fine & dandy place to live?

1. Yes without a doubt

12.5%
  2. Yes but only with a cup of Earl Grey

16.7%
  3. Would be better with a half decent government

45.8%
  4. No it's crap!

25.0%
  1. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    got about 2 of those hanging around somewhere, i'd also need an adaptor though wouldn't i

in short, is there any way to get my computer to output nicer sound?
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Yep lol, its the way you worded it, i misread it :banghead:

That would do it then, but would it fit in the case as it would make the slot higher.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Nope, you need a proper sound card, save up and buy the DX, the others will work out more expensive even if you find an adaptor
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Your motherboard or sound card may have a SPDIF connection, other than buying a new sound card or new speakers higher quality source material like better rips of cds. Get the latest drivers but you wont probably notice anything. Make sure its not set to 24bit audio just 16bit.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    hows it goin, have you got an spdif optical out , because that into a logic processing stereo gives good results even with a shit sound chip like my realtek

i dont even have a surround amp i have stereo
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Like a receiver? That would work.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    the Xonar DG isnt too bad, but its far from being superior audio quality. Its more like a step or 2 up from builtin audio. for better sound then a DX Is recommended
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  8. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    in stereo it works well though i have another stereo amp for rear plus 4 tower speakers so not ideal

a proper surround dolby pro logic amp even the cheap ones works wonders

i did once try my pc for a week(my uncles an audiophile, i was dog mindin) on a effin sic 1000 pound Bose pro logic surround amp with 7.1 speakers and even driven by my shit realtek it was amazin
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your speakers too, if you hook up a shit pair of speakers to a half decent sound card the speakers are still shit and wont sound much better.

Some of the cheaper cards like Freedom says are just fractionally better than modern onboard.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  10. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I have an internal SPDIF connection, but i don't know anyway to get that into an external connection that i could plug into a TV or Home theatre box

i'm using Headphones at the moment so i just need to find something with a better headphone jack

that's why i was thinking of this Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Surround Sound Card with Built i...
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    what type of set up is it does the receiver have HDMI? the internal SPDIF lets your card get sound through HDMI like you would be able to use the tv speakers or something or hook it up to a receiver that way

i also find at least on my case the front panel headphone connection is shittier sounding than directly plugging it into the back port (onboard)
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    well i'm using a TV as a monitor at the moment so there's certainly both HDMI and Sound inputs on that

But to summarise what i'm actually thinking of doing

i am thinking of upgrading to a much better audio set up (new speakers, possibly one of those sorround sound receiver things)

But before i do any of that i actually want Good audio output of some sort on my PC
  13. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    you can afford to go cheaper on the sound card if you go down the optical connection into surround amp, route, dude as most of the money on expensive cards goes on better d/a converters and op amps, the digital audio signal used by spdif optical removes the need for any of that anyway, and the front end digital chips are reasonably similar in spec and caps, just a thought:)

the same is true of hdmi connection but i too dont think a gt250 does that as my 240 dosnt
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  14. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    If you buy a kit with a receiver like an Onkyo for example that has HDMI input on it then you can just plug the graphics card via HDMI to the receiver then the receiver to the TV via HDMI. HDMI is better than optical audio which is the other option a sound card might offer.

A new sound card would definitely help if you planned to get new speakers. Like everything its all money dependant. A new card in the mean time might help with your headphones but a separate headphone amp is best but i personally dont have one for my headphones.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    If going the HDMI route you have to use a SPDIF cable to pass through to the sound card or motherboard (depends if you use onboard) because it doesn't have a built in sound chip to handle the sound. Later nvidia cards might do sound on the graphics card now.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  16. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    So

I need for 5.1 surround sound

1:)Sound card or mothboard capable of of 5.1 sound output (preferably Dolby Digital or DTS)
    2)A receiver such as http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr309/onky-txsr309-blk
    3)5 Speakers + subwoofer

But, since i spend most of my time listening to music,i could alternatively get
    1)http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-xonar-dx-xd-71-pci-e-soundcard-low-profile
    2)a stereo receiver like this http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/teac/ag790/teac-ag7090 (200W (100 x2) but that's at 8ohms which is enough to easily cause hearing loss)
    3)2 Speakers
  17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    id go with the first then poss save for the card:)
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  18. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody going to be getting FIFA 12 ? Would be good to start an online team with some of my fellow UK TPUers :)

Oh and I have the xonar DG, with my logitech speakers it sounds mint and pees all over the onboard so make sure whatever card you get, your speakers are up to it like Kieran suggested.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats right Cheesy. Alternatively i would consider a full kit, now most of the time kits suck and your better getting separate speakers but Onkyo are a decent entry range.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts3405/onky-hts3405-blk

Something like that.

Edifier make a good stereo set of speakers.
    Edifier Studio R1900 TII
    Edifier Studio R1600T Plus
    Im not really big into audio i only have these Logitech x540s and onboard but they sound okay for £40. If i had the money and i didnt want anything else i would spend the cash and get a good set up. Ive got Superlux 668B headphones too, really underrated pair of cans and AKG 240 velour pads for comfort (stock ones are pleather aka fake leather).
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  20. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I'm OK with kits so long as there are no special connectors or anything and I can replace parts as and when I want to.

biggest thing on my mind is now whether i need surround sound, as one thing I've learnt is that you normally get better sound having bigger speakers then you do a subwoofer + small speakers
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Buying a receiver and then 2 speakers would let you choose your own stuff and be a bit cheaper than going surround. Only thing you might want to look for is something that would allow you to add more speakers if you wanted to later down the line.

If your not fussed you dont need to use HDMI and can just go optical or coaxial or whatever regular cables are called.
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    agreeed i like my four towers but could really do with a better amp hmmm

yes mate fifa12 is quite summat ive baggy eyes from last night and will be dllin it ina bit v good
    LifeOnMars and cheesy999 say thanks.
  23. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I have F1 2011 if you want do co-op championship on Ps3 though lol.
  24. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now let's get Kuro involved as well, I know he loves a bit of FIFA. ;)
  25. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Lol if i was get fifa i would get it on PS3 where majority of my friends will play it on console too.