1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

There Won't Be a DirectX 12; Battlefield 4 Part of Next Bundle: AMD Vice President

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 5, 2013.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The dude quoted is in sales. These are the same people that were saying Phenom is great because it isn't MCM, then got silent when Core 2 Quad (a MCM processor) slaughtered it. If it were coming from someone from the graphics division (formerly ATI), I'd believe it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    The original Core 2 Dual/Quad didn't slaughter the Agena Phenoms. Yes it performed faster in the vast majority of tasks by a landslide, but the Agena Phenoms still held their own.

The downfall of the Agena phenoms was a faulty TLB error which caused a lockup and a blue screen of death. It was later patched with a 10% penalty in it's performance. This was exuberated by the fact that The Agena Phenoms were poor overclockers compared to Intel's offering.

Back to the main topic.

In a multi billion dollar industry I would think Microsoft would consult both Nvidia and ATI (AMD) about any developments on a new graphic API. Because ultimately both Nvidia and ATI have the power to influence whether Microsoft succeed, so their opinion and feedback is crucial.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    What is the difference between "Slaughter" and "Landslide"?
    And if IT performed "faster in the majority of tasks by a lanslide" wouldn't that be similar to a slaughter?
    Slaughter usually means abate, abolish, abrogate, annul, blot out, crush, decimate, demolish, do in, eradicate, erase, expunge, exterminate, extinguish, extirpate, finish off, invalidate, liquidate, massacre, murder, negate, nullify, obliterate, quash, quell, raze, root out, rub out, ruin, slaughter, take out*, undo, vitiate, wipe out, wrack, wreck

Landslide usually means on the order of an avalanche means literally 'a gulp, something swallowed' from French avaler 'to swallow'.
    Sounds pretty darn similar to me.

Maybe giving more to slaughter, but not very much.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Slaughter would mean faster in majority and by a significant margin.

Landslide means faster in majority. Not necessarily always by a significant margin.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  5. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    What i really want, is a linux, ultra light (almost console) OS, that boots crazy fast with UEFI and have keyboard and mouse input. Have Chrome of firefox with ingame overlay for doing some research.
    Imagine a GTX680 with direct hardware access.

6. MikeMurphy

Thanks Received:
    DX11 is fine.

Wake me up when ray tracing is taking off.

NeoXF says thanks.
  7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's the other way around, Taylor will know industry standards and market trends even before AMD's engineers do. AMD bean counters value his opinion perhaps even more than its engineers'.

And there's no "graphics division." ATI is completely assimilated, and its human resources dispersed across the company.

8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'd also point out he has only held that position for four months.

Only Microsoft is qualified to answer if there will or will not be a DirectX 12.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Taylor has been with the 3D graphics industry for eons.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/roytaylor

Microsoft will never tell devs its DirectX 12 plans until it's absolutely ready with it. It will, however, tell AMD and NVIDIA about them years in advance. That makes guys like Taylor and BDR (NVIDIA) the most credible sources.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    And I'm still wondering why Taylor has yet to say these things to an English publication. All sources quote Heise.de which could have easily resulted from a mistranslation. AMD, nor Microsoft, have said anything in an official capacity in regards to the future of DirectX.

Taylor clarified what he meant:
    AMD’s Roy Taylor Started the Obituary of DirectX, but Microsoft Says Not So Fast

...this is what happens when a German source translates English without asking for clarification.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    The news post clearly stated "at least not as far [out into the future] as the company can see." Even Heise emphasized on that. So there's no mis-translation.

12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    AMD is not planning on DirectX 12. He had no intention of speaking for Microsoft.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    Kept thinking what the hell will be the thing that will set PCs apart from the up-and-coming generation of Consoles... and yes, I do hope and think, it will be some form of ray-tracing... in maybe 2 to 3 years... I mean, with the advent of APUs and a bigger shift towards GPGPU compute... and maybe finally, the mainstreamisation of more than 4 (strong) core(/module) CPUs...

LOL, come to think of it, that Ford GT concept looks a lot like a close-shaved Bugatti Veyron...