1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

total fresh install

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ekwa, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Ekwa New Member

Thanks Received:
    My system got so slow,and in games i got the weirdest stutters/super low fps out of nowhere so i decided to do a total fresh install of everything.

But i wanted to sweep eevrything out of my system,every posisble registry entry/every single driver/and even bios (if posisble) so it would be like installing as if i just put the pc togetehr. Now, i always formatted the pc through the windows vista dvd (click the disk-->options-->format) but i doubt everything is de-installed with that right? So if that's not the case,how can i make sure everything is removed from the system and i can really,in the literal sense, do a total clean install of everything?

cheers

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try Solaris Utility DVD, I personally never used it before but you might find something inside. Its owner is Solaris17, pm him.

Ekwa says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Solaris' disc will have a low level format tool in it.

you can also go to the manufacturer of the drives site and get their specific tool.

Ekwa says thanks.
  4. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dban, Drivewipe or Killdisk will do what your asking for, but there's really no need unless you want to destroy sensitive data. And never ever delete or remove any Bios or you will find yourself with out a working computer.

Ekwa says thanks.
  5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Reinstalling the OS formats the drive. No reason for much more unless you have photos of who shot JFK on your system. :laugh:

Ekwa says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Pop in the disk and format during installation. As Don said, you don't need anything else if you're keeping the disk.

Ekwa says thanks.
  7. Ekwa New Member

Thanks Received:
    So what you guys are saying is that every possible registry entry/mobo driver and every posisble other driver is automatically deleted upon formatting the disk via the windows vista dvd?

8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    YES .
    Once you start a clean install that is just what it does it wipes all the crap clean , meaning every thing on the HDD is gone .

9. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I use GParted(Parted Magic), a lite Linux OS that will let you format, partition, and lite apps/system analysis.

And I couldn't help it:

[​IMG]

10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Why ? I mean the fact that window7 and old OS''s do the job just fine ? What need is there in all the Linux And partition stuff ? I never got why any one would really need to partition a HDD off into massive sectors . I just pop in the OS CD and Roll how come you have to make re-installing an OS like trying to build a rocket ship to go to the moon ? It is not all that hard .

11. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    It's not hard, well maybe for those that may not understand they have other options. :nutkick:

It's just the way I roll...

12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL yeah .

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    NO!!!

Of ocurse, this depends on what you mean by deleted.

I can do a "full format" using those tools, and still restore 95% of all files, using free software. More, with paid software.

You must either destroy the drive, or do a full low-level format, and preferably 2, using different data patterns.

Others have already said this though, but just in case it wasn't perfectly clear, here you go.

:toast:

14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Now you're just making things confusing. This is true of course, but not something you need unless you're selling the disk or trashing.

15. starams5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the drive has been in heavy use for a while there's nothing wrong with a little maintenance. Run a low level format on the drive including boot sectors.

If all you want is a fresh install of Windows, just format the partition and re-install. Whatever was on the drive before will be gone, reg entries, corrupt files, drivers, etc. 3rd party partitioning software (preferably Paragon or Acronis) does a better job than Windows imo.

On another note for those interested, Paragon has made their Alignment Tool free for download as part of a promotion, x86 and x64. Just fill in the data at the link below and they'll send you an email with registration and download links.

Paragon Alignment Tool v2.0 Special Edition (good until the end of June)
    http://www.paragon-software.com/landing-pages/WhitePapers/paragon_alignment_tool.html