1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Dota 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by ThunderStorm, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ThunderStorm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since nobody has started a thread for the popular dota 2, I will.

This thread is open for gameplay discussion and general issues only, please for the sake of peace, do not mention any aspects of LOL, i would be much appreciated.
    Welcome to TPU Dota 2 !

[​IMG]

For those who don't know what Dota 2 is: it is a MOBA ( Multiplayer online battle arena ) based game, developed by Vavle and Ice Frog ( the main contributor of Dota 1-a custom map for Warcraft 3 ). Although it's not complete yet, dota 2 is now much playable and enjoyable.

My steam is steamcommunity.com/id/Tetsudo

If you want to check some one's performance, go to dotabuff.com and see for yourself.

2. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dota :respect:

Too bad I don't have time to play it but usually I watch a few games.
    btw didn't understand this new hero: Timbersaw :confused:

3. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Timbersaw is kind of like a weird version of Clockwork. It's the best way I can describe him. I don't care for him much, but then again I don't care for most heroes in the game xD

4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    If any of you guys want to play the game, Me, and skylamer have a few invites to giveaway. check out this thread.

JNUKZ says thanks.
  5. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    I'm a little hooked on this game right now, I don't start work until Monday if anyone would like to add me to Steam and play a couple of games.

Steam: LightningJR

6. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    I didnt get how to play timbersaw too. Most of the hero's skills are made so they synergize with each other (sometimes 2 skills, sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the difficulty intended).

Watch merlini's or singsing's timbersaw play to get an idea on how to play timbersaw.

7. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    In my experience, its never a good idea to mix your "pub" profile and "pre-made" profile. It often results in bad gameplay experience because the game usually tends to put people higher than you. And in the end, players usually blame themselves or others for the loss.

8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you please elaborate a bit? I play both solo and premade (2-5 players depending on who is playing), and I don't feel any bad gameplay experience. Most of the losses were "graceful" rather than complete pubstomp from one side.

9. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    Well I had a number of such cases with premades:

1. With a new friend (who was new to dota). Needless to say, him with my main account, things didnt go so well. Feeding factor. It was much better when I made another account and then played with him. He noticed that too.

2. With another (happened 3 times), who found me playing well, decided to introduce me to his buddies, suddenly, the hero Im somewhat good with does real bad in 2-3 matches later on.

Overall sometimes I feel its better to solo queue with my solo queue account.

I think its better that if you start off with someone new (or premade 5), to make new accounts, and practice together from the start (from the lowest skills) until the team gets our timings and synergy right.

The other unpleasant part is the "doing bad - feeling guilty" or someone does bad and being bad mannered to them.

Its not only Dota Ive faced this issue in, but other matchmaking games like APB Reloaded too. Do real good in one mission with a guy, pair up with him and keep playing matches and the experience isnt that well.

10. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Well if you have top 5% skills matched up with a newbie of course matchmaking is going to make you (or him) suffer. I had that problem too, but we just worked our way around playing 4v5, with him staying on a purely support, until he is good enough. Pulls his weight and more in games now. Well the people I play with have an idea how to play Dota (as in, they know what most hero can do, their cooldowns, when to push and when to defend, and can lane properly in the opening stages of the game), so even the worst will be able to have some fun.

11. ThunderStorm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday i played Pudge : dotabuff.com/matches/93355237 with 18/7/11 K/D/A consecutively. Sand King on the other hand, was not that good ( i myself can say with a humble voice that i'm an avid pudge player ), or i can even say terrible with 1 kill and 15 deaths, he did not know how to stun the enemy heroes nor have a basic knowledge of defending/positioning. So i checked his profile thanks to dotabuff: dotabuff.com/players/111381423, seems like a newbie to me. It was totally understandable, everybody once was a newbie, but we learned from mistakes and tried to learn more right? But the thing is, he never typed a thing!, when we tried to help him of how it's done but my team felt like we were talking to ourselves. And you guys get the point.

Playing with someone new isn't necessary boring or frustrating, sometimes it's even fun! but they have to show some kind of willingness to learn.

12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I find this guide to be a very good read for newcomers to the game.
    It lists straight away your role in the game, gives you an impression of what it will take to become a good player and lists all common noob mistakes everybody seems to make anyway.

EDIT: There is also a version of this guide on steam.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  13. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    have a few keys to give away if any want pm steam name

14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i am a husker!

btw, i got disconnected from a game right at the start because of network maintenance. and now they have put me in a low priority punishment pool. what gives?

15. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well I have 30 free invites for DOTA 2 so if anyone wants one just tell me :D

Also I've no bad experiences for Dota 2 itself, its just that the servers are killing me. Normally I get 120-250 ping (Which isn't that bad) but suddenly it fluctuates to 1000-3000 ping. This causes me to get a lot of DC's and get placed in the low priority pool.

I've never had bad experiences with TF2, Warframe, NFS: World, MW2 online, Tera Online.

Graphics wise my laptop can Push Dota 2 too its limits (all maxed out although I prefer to have no AA since it has better color.) and it looks good. Hope they could do something about the servers tho.

A little fix for those who have blocky shadows:
    Delete the CFG folder in the Dota Directory which is " C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota " and put " -high " in the launch options. This will fix it

Having fun with bots! :D

16. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    some of the players, specially in level one, are real assholes.

i wonder when my thing is going to be lifted. i seem to be making no points.

17. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    You can't get point in LPP (Low Priority Pool) so I'm always stuck at level one.

Yeah people on Lvl. 1 are such assholes. One time I was playing with a korean and on bottom then I gave the first kill to the enemy team. Started calling me a noob in chat and said that he couldn't help me since he was farming. (I could tell he was korean since his name was in korean) When he was being Ganked by the enemy he called for my help. I avoided him and he eventually died. Called me a noob again and asked my why, told him I was farming.

Surprisingly bot at Hard difficulty are a real challenge (Hell all they do are denies and LH). Although I wish I could play online more...

18. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yeah. i was playing once, and i took mid, as i take melee type attackers, this pudge guy came along, and voiced me to go somewhere else as i had no business in mid. so i did, as its just a game..
    and i did, because apparantly he was with his friend too. he did some 15times in that match and was the reason why we lost. we lost by hardly 5 points. i think he may have reported me.

the reporting system is daft. anyone can report others for no reason.

19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    You can just spam report and nothing will happen unless you did a serious offence. In Dota 2 disconnecting is the most serious offence one can commit, along with intentional feeding. This is a cold hard game which rewards on one but the most dedicated and the most resilent, as long as you can go past the first 500 games you are in good position to enjoy the game properly. Before that, you will just get flamed repeatedly for no reason at all, or when you make a minor mistake (you still do, perhaps even more, when you are playing at my level)

Level has got nothing to do with the people you are playing against. It just gives you fancy items everytime you level up to bling your hero. Many people I know with alternative accounts face against proper opponents at level 1 (usually by teaming up with higher level friends).

[yt]7f-jR3Vo3Rw[/yt]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    _JP_ says thanks.
  20. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well with player issues aside; Is anyone here experiencing fluctuating Ping? I opened up Net_graph and it showed me constant upload rate, but download rate just fluctuates. Opened TF2 and it showed constant in and out rates?

What do Steam?

21. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I got lvl43 in 4 months time. Early levels were "very nice" cause it was full of noobs so I could win the game easily but later on it becomes a very good Dota game as the player base is, in my opinion, far better than HoN and LoL.

Random players are abandoning games or whining MUCH less often than on my experience of HoN LoL or GArena dota.

22. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Ping is fine in Europe server.

23. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Well I play on SEA servers. My first few games were on Europe but my friend told me to play on SEA since it has lower ping. I'll play on Euro servers tonight and see how it goes.

Favourite Heroes so far? Luna, Templar Assassin, and Windrunner :))

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  24. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Test the ones closer to your home (China etc). Ping from Europe to SEA is quite bad, averaging 200+

Luna is easy to use, TA and WR are both really hard to master. This is coming from a guy who played WR almost exclusively last year.

25. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Tried with china back then. 400+ ping then fluctuates :/ although much more bearable compared to SEA.

Luna and TA are easy to use (as long as you know what Items they need). WR is a real challenge since she could fill in any role. Balanar the nightstalker is also one of my fave's since He's a beast at night. He doesn't have those flashy ultimates and is very stat reliant :roll: