1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    My output is going to be down for a day or so :(

Had a power out which seems to have taken my main PC's mobo out, and I use it to logon to my other PC's, so all machines are down atm

I am going to swap out some parts and hopfully get this thing up and running again, but it is a pain dismantaling my WC loop and crap.

Hope to be back to some sort of production later...fingers crossed
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    good luck oily i hope you get things worked out :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Cheers mate, it's 5am here now...so going to get it stripped out and then rebuild it later today hopefully...
  4. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    I will be joining oily on the down list. I activated windows, shut down and installed a hard drive that I had cloned the same install to, before I activated. WOW! The fire works on the task bar and the screen were incredible.:mad:
  5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Well we have a soory state of affairs here.

Seems the power outage took the PSU (4 pin plug burnt), damaged a stick of RAM and to add insult to injury I have a corrupt ntkrnl on my main partition.

Thankfully I have an Acronis backup for the partition, just need new PSU and RAM :(

Hopefully I will get my other rig folding today sometime...
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I got the 9300 up and folding again, so I should be able to maintain a PPD closer to 6000:
    [​IMG]
    Currently I have the shaders on the 9300 @ 1400mhz, I know they are stable at least up to 1600, so I'll OC them some more later (from 1200mhz stock)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I lost my internet last night and had all of my clients trying to connect for over 5 hours. When it came back on my new router wouldn't recognize my wired ports. About 3 hours later I gave up and hooked up an old router that finally worked. I now need to find out how to make my new beautiful wireless router something other than a paper weight.
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Looking good guys!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Still testing my 280, seems it won't do 712 gpu, thought it would, down to 702, works fine. Confusing, because my old sick 280 would do 712, but wouldn't do 1512 shaders stable, only 1456, but new card does 1512, arrrg. In all that confusion I still spat out 4k points. If 280 is okay, I move my 9800gtx back in the server, again, to fold. This bs has nearly done me in..... need my backup card soon! Oh and also, added a 120v powered hi-output fan to my side to cool down the 280, 7 fans ain't enough!
  10. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear that the 280 is still going strong at this point. We will gladly take the 9800GTX back online!
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've had to remove the 9300 from F@H for the time being, I've been having some issues with my computer lately and last time I traced it down to the northbridge overheating (the 9300 is integrated GFX). If this resolves it, I'm afraid I'm going to be out ~600 PPD, but it is still worth it because whenever my computer crashes I tend to loose whatever WU the 8800GT is crunching and everything the Q9400 is crunching. Sorry team. I'll see what I can do for more PPD later
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I think i am going to sell my 8800GT's. As i think one of them is dying(not sure will test it in other rig later) so if anyone wants 2 8800GT's PM me if you want more info/details. I will test the 3rd one in the other rig sometime this week(could just be the SLI hack causing problems but idk yet)
    Also if anyone wants it i will sell my 8800GTS 320mb core G80(96sp about equal to a good 9600gso)

so sum it up

I have 2 8800GT's up for grabs and maybe a 3rd one if it can pass my testing without error. the other 2 are great cards that clock to 700/1800(c/s) for folding 24/7 :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you want to buy you from the resulting money?
  14. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure yet.. Thinking atleast a 250gts or 2(for SLI goodness) but really not sure yet depends if i can sell them and how much extra money i have :ohwell:
    or on 2nd thought get 2 quads one for the AMD rig and one for the Intel rig and get into crunching more again what ever i do i can assure you it will be going into folding or crunching

haven't even paid for the last 8800GT i got yet and already want to sell it lol (btw to the seller MO will be in the mail tomorrow :toast:)

BTW i think i know what the problem with the card is. I think it is one of the vregs that i put a really small ramsink on i think after a few days it becomes saturated and overheats it.So i am going to run the card underclocked tonight and tomorrow pull the heatsink off and replace the little heatsink on the vreg with a bigger one.If that solves the problem i may keep the cards or sell them still
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i still havent removed the stock cooler, because i still need to know a method, to attach ramsinks, that already have been used, and which dont stick anymore:laugh:
    so far running fine, i game sometimes, or only fold on one card, if the other screen is in use, and i had to restart somehow:eek: so they sometimes have the chance to cool down, and they will do it very fast,luckily:)
  16. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    I am going to feed my rig beer....you better fold like f$%k now .or I am going to kick your ass...
  17. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    mine don't get a chance to cool down because they are going 24/7. The most break they get are when they get a 1888pt WU :laugh:
    was that to me?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    Good to see you up and folding.:laugh:
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    No worries, my 2nd 9800 GT is easily making up for you and then some. If I didn't buy my 2nd 9800 GT I would just have a GeForce 210 16sp in there. :)
    hertz9753 and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    So did anything come of getting shirts for F@H and WCG? Still think it's a bawler idea.
    Anywho, I'm still folding as much as can 24/7
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So I was asked by hertz last night if I wanted pie....
    [​IMG]
    So it looks like I'm going to be getting pie for today, maybe tomorrow as well :)
    I guess this means that I currently have 4 GTX 260s, 2 GTX 275s, and 1 8800GT on my username!

Thanks hertz!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah boy! how you liked your first shot of testosterone?
    :laugh:
  23. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys, those of you with non-air cooled CPUs in your rigs, I want you to talk my ear off about alternative cooling. I don't care if its full water loops, Peltier coolers or sacrificing a goat over your exposed rig to fuel its soul consuming ways.

I'm looking for reliability above all else, as this thing will be running as much as possible. I would prefer it if my cooling system didn't draw as much power as the rig itself too. I'd really like it to be an easy setup, though I don't mind trying new things and getting my hands dirty.

If I go the route of full loop, I may look at doing something specific for the GPUs, as I'm sure 3 OC'ed GTX 260s and an OC'ed i7 would be a touch too much for 1 loop. Having said that, I'm talking above my pay grade as I have 0 experience in water, just what I've seen from other people.

Also, I've seen people say a few times now the cost of water cooling components are going up. Is this true, and if so is buying a loop right now the best idea? In other words, if the prices will crater in a month for some reason I can't currently think of, I won't be buying it right away.
  24. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    El Fiendo says thanks.
  25. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    No mate I was just talking to my rigs...lol I think they are slowly driving me mad.

Cheers mate, fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong :)