1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*TPU's Gaming Headphone/Headset Thread*

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Kursah, Jul 26, 2009.

1. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    even I using my ER4S to game,
    and it works very" well

positioning are accurate and precise,
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    bass, frequency response, no microphone?
  3. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    high end headphones have much much much better frequency response, details, imaging, accuracy. than even the most expensive gaming headphones,

high end headphones like the LCD2, Beyerdynamic T1, have a very good bass.

microphone? use a desktop or a clip-on mic, problem finished
  4. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    I went with mid range 5.1 headphones for two reasons. My mobo cant fit a good sound card in without making my cross-fire run 8x by 8x. and i cant stand having a desktop mic.
  5. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Cute. Have you personally tried the Psyko in real-life gaming?
  6. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, I was only basing it against other top tier gaming headset I have heard and they don't nearly stack up. So back to you again, have you heard the STAX SR-009? Or any other good headphones with amping and no X-Fi sound degrading functions.

This discussion cannot continue until both party have heard their respective headphones and meaningless to continue. So I just leave it at this.

To all people saying gaming headsets are better for gaming, at least try a few recommended headphone against recommended gaming headset to get a vague idea.
  7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am with Ra97oR, I have tried some of the fancy 5.1 headphones (but not the Psyko with speakers on the head), and I found out that I much prefer vanilla but good 1 driver per cup approach. Might be because of the games I play (mostly strategy), but I think the matter boils down to which one is more important: sound quality or sound direction? How much of each are you willing to sacrifice? Personally, I can live with left and right direction only, shooter people might need more directions.

Yes, gaming headsets are completely shit in terms of sound quality compared to proper headsets from bang/buck perspective, even after you added the cost of the built in mic. Sennheiser PC3x0, the standard for sound quality in headphones suffer compared to its micless cousin the HD5xx due to manufacturing oversights.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think part of it too, is that games are made for stereo, as is music.

games are designed via sound manipulation to sound like they have distinction from just two sound sources (and they do it pretty well), while music is cut and dried: stereo and nothing else.

for DVD/blu ray with 5.1 audio tracks and the few games that properly support 5.1 sound, the 6 channel headphones might be better... but since most of them are stereo with upmixing and not true 6 channel, you just never end up with that perfect situation needed to get the most out of these 'surround sound' headphones - whereas with basic, stereo headphones you're getting the benefits of better sound quality no matter what.
    radrok says thanks.
  9. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Because many of the X-Fi spacial enhancement features ruins microdetails that gives you a better sense of space and positioning.
  10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I just saw a good deal on a set of Creative Fatality HS-800's. Ive seen nothing but 5 star reviews of this headset both on amazon & play.com, but what do you guys think of it??
  11. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother with gaming headset, save the two from Sennheiser and Beyer. Even then, they are overpriced.

I have actually had first hand experience with the HS800, the build quailty is outright terrible and the clamp hurts my head. Audio quailty? My old £10 Plantronics headset was better than it in sound and not even comparable in soundstage.

They are very cheap, but if you already have something working and doesn't hurt you, I suggest to save up for something higher quailty. Don't think it will be much of an upgrade to anything other than some horror from some one pound shops.
  12. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Build quality is fine, after 3 solid years of abuse mine is still working. It does clamp your head quite tightly, but I stretched it by clamping on something big for a few days, and its fine now. Sound quality is meh, but usable. The only reason why I am still using it instead of getting a better one is because the mic is good, absolutely no complaints from my friends.

Will I recommend it? For £10, yes. Possibly even £15, but no more.
  13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    i'll just stick to my speakers in that case
  14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Yes, stick with that. Z5500 is very good
  15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    My several year old JVC HA G770's are in need of replacement anyone got any suggestions for a good set of full size headphones? I would prefer to not run an AMP and use an old cracked Sandisk Sansa Fuze to power it.

I was thinking Denon AH-D2000's but it is recommended to run them with an amp. For half the price I was thinking Audio Technica ATH-M50's, but again they are recommended to be run with an amp unlike the Ultrasone HFi 780's so maybe those would be the best choice?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    seven years, money well spent.

it would be easier if you list your source equipment, what kind of music you listen to and how much you want to spend.
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Updated a little bit on the other post. I listen to a lot of Classic Rock, newer acoustic, occasional some rap. They also get used for movies when I am deployed 6 months at a time and one of those trips is what finally killed the JVC's.
    BumbleBee says thanks.
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Creative Aurvana Live would be my pick.
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Not a massive Creative fan and do rather like the single wire exit of my JVC's over the Y-cord. Going back into the higher end headphone range even with an altoids amp whats you suggestion sub $300? My cracker Fuze is loaded mostly with ogg and 320KB MP3's.
  20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    oh wait I didn't the second update to your post.

the Creative Aurvana Live are rebranded Denon D1001. Denon D2000 are much better and will drive out of your portable media player.
  21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    How do the Ultrasone HFi 780 compare? They retail around $150 and seem to have decent reviews minus the cord.
  22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. every time I read about Ultrasone headphones it's always negative lol I hope to own a pair one day to see for myself.
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Any experience with Audio-Technica ATH-M50's? Again seem to have good reviews and I like the simple look of them.
  24. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I totally dislike the over hyped M50. It have decent bass and stuff, but the midrange is rather lifeless and boring, there are simply better headphones at that price range.
  25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Reviews said as such bumblebee pointed out the Fischer Audio FA-003 and I like the looks of those and reviews floating around seem to agree.