1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*TPU's Gaming Headphone/Headset Thread*

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Kursah, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got in the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset. It rocks.
    Super comfortable with the microfiber earpads and adjustable for people with big heads.
    Volume control on headset.
    Downloadable mixer from Corsair.
    Range is good, but had a little breakup leaving the house.
    USB extender for better placement of transceiver incuded.
    Batteries included and installed when you pull it out of the box.
    Can recharge while you are wearing them (but you need a second USB port, one for dongle, one to charge).
    I'm no audiophile, but I think the sound quality is excellent. Nice bass response. Get very loud and no distortion all the way up.
    Didn't test mic yet.
    Did I mention how comfortable they are?

Darkleoco and erixx say thanks.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered me some Sennheiser HD598 for $188 with shipping hope to see em at most by Friday. Friend showed me his last night and I was amazed, told me about the deal and I bought them this morning.

Just what I need for my trip to Greece. Nothing but Fantastic Reviews for em, just that its easy to share the music lol anyone can jam with them they don't really isolate the sound.

Better personal review of them once I actually have them and use them on my trip :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Corsair V.2000 I like them, but I wonder... why did they put the perforated "leather" looking upsides instead refreshing your head for real... ?!

4. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys... It's me again...

My faithful Sennheiser PX 100 headphones for my portable media player has expired.

Should I get the same model or is there something else that's better for the roughly $100 price tag? I know the Koss Porta Pro are almost as good and a lot cheaper - I have a pair of those, but they are sounding like something is loose in them... So I really need a new pair...

Ideas?

5. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    So it seems that my Tritton AX 720's are starting to go and I think I should replace them before I head off to college, I like the look of the Corsair Vengeance 2000's though I am curious if their are any comparable offerings in the same price range. I have no preference for wired vs wireless so that is no concern :)

6. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Considering proper headphones over the "gaming" ones?

7. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    That would define on exactly how you define proper :laugh: I need my headphones to have a microphone built in as well as nice sound quality but beyond that I am open to any valid suggestions. Wired/Wireless/Blu-ray I can use all of them so I'm not really limited their.

8. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I was suggesting hifi headphones instead of headset and getting a cheap clip on mic/desk mic for the mic. At the Tritton's price level, you are pretty much stuck with choosing Audio Technica AD700 max for dedicated gaming and music at home, or something like a Sony ZX700 if you wanna go multipurpose.

@ Horrux: The Sony ZX700 is a very decent monitor sounding headphone for it's price. It is also rather comfortable too. At 100 USD, you may also try out some Grados or Alessandro MS-1, which I recommend the Alessandro version. The Grados/Alessandro doesn't isolate any noise, unlike the Sony which does a very good job. The Sennheiser PX 100 doesn't isolate either, so if you using them the same way, there shouldn't be a problem.

MT Alex says thanks.
  9. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    My Senns sit atop my ears... They don't have cups to go over the ears, and that is the way I prefer my headphones to be, for heat and sweat reasons. I believe both models you refer to have full earcups, correct?

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  11. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    Grados are on ear instead of over ear like the Sony. If you are worried about heat and sweat issue, why not try out some IEMs?

12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Grados are really decent when it comes to comfort, I can wear them for hours without feeling fatigued. My head is sufficiently small for the short band not to give my problems though.

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you either love Grados or hate them. I like Grados but my 325i are not a daily driver so I don't have to wear them all the time.

14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I recently got some jvc rx700's along with a xonar dg. My first step into better audio. I think it was sure worth it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I can't say enough good things about my AD700s for gaming, and people tell me that the Turtle Beach mic (the one Kursah recommends) that I have velcroed to the side is among the clearest they hear. I don't know, however, if I would have the same wonderful positional sound with an onboard solution.

16. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Anyone have opinions on the Logitech G930 might be getting $160 in gamestop credit and its either the G930's for $160 or the Corsair Vengeance 2000 for $180 (highway robbery compared to them being $120 on newegg). Wondering which is really the better of the two since they are both wireless and I'm not too hung up on looks.

Edit: God Gamestop fucks pricewise :shadedshu

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  17. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    I would like to request some reviews of the Panasonic RP HTX7 headphones. Saw them on cnet saying they were really good and at 30 dollars? Sounds awesome to me! Well anyways was hoping I could get some reviews from you guys or other sites I personally just can't find any. I know they wont be better than my AD700's but it would be nice to have a pair of headphones I can carry around on plane trips and what not.
    Thanks everyone

18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Snagged me some Sony XB500's a few months ago. Holy cow am I impressed! With any setup I use atm, from my g/f's rig with the amplified xonar dg, my amplified auzen x-fi forte or even through my FiiO E9 amp they hit hard, are super light and comfy and sound pretty damned good! Not as rich as my D2000's but still full and are more fun to listen to and enjoy. Easier to get into the music and enjoy it, makes the D2000 feel like more work to listen to. Gaming is also great! I need to update this thread and do a proper XB500 review! I still have my RX700's and D2000 but they are stashed away atm. Been so busy with life and a full time job and 6-month old small business I barely have time to get on a PC to even browse forums.

Either rate, if you want super heavy bass without totally murdering the rest of the sound and have access to a little bit of power and a decent EQ, go for the XB500's! Heck at times I have seem them cheaper than the JVC HA-RX700s! I am a basshead, but that's not all I want...so I gotta have clarity I can tolerate. So far, I love em!

:toast:

19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys... I'm loving my SRH750s but I can't stand to wear them very long. I can tolerate the pain to listen to great music, but for every day headphones to listen to low quality sounds and stuff like windows pings and even games I want something else.

Budget is sub 20-150$ xD. Audio quality I'm looking for nothing special, KSC75s would be good enough in that department. I don't necessarily want light headphones, I don't mind having a big ass but comfortable headphone if I have to. Priority number 1 is comfort 2 is price and audio quality is an afterthought. I'm looking for full size headphones and I have glasses.

What are the most comfortable affordable headphones out there? :p

The Corsair V. 2000 looks awesome but it's in the top end of my budget and I was actually more interested in staying under 60 unless there really is no comparison in comfort. They do look pretty cool and wireless :eek:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  20. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I must say that if you enjoy wireless and comfortable headphones and are WILLING to shell out the money for Corsair 2000's they are worth it I have glasses as well and the headset is perfect it is extremely comfortable, lightweight and the build and sound quality is good as well.

n-ster says thanks.
  21. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but it overkill for my needs and the wireless is only a minor advantage

22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I turn Windows Event Sounds off.

Audio Technica AD700?

n-ster says thanks.
  23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    When I'm playing games where I don't care for the sounds that much but I want them there and ima be plying a very long time, ie: shogun 2, having the srh750dj for 5+ hours straight is not only uncomfortable, I start to cry out of pain

Audio Technica AD700 seems really good actually, where in Canada could I get some though? I also realized I kinda want an open can this time if possible, so they are even better :p I do enjoy my bass though, but its only a minor con

24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    when you have a headphone or stereo amplifier you have to turn Windows Event Sounds off because a beep or chime can really startle you.

iBasso D10..

Audio Technica AD700 will be great for gaming. light, open-back so your ears won't get hot and the pads are velour not synthetic.

25. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    hmm I haven't run into that problem.

btw I have a quick question, is it OK to leave my iBasso D10 at half way volume mark? In the windows Sound thing I leave the SPDIF to 100 though. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference at my listening level with the D10 vs onboard unless I put it REALLY loud, but it's way too loud to listen to at that point really

I can't find it anywhere at a reasonable price :( I guess I'll check e-bay and the likes