1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet, thank god I have never had to be in that situation. Scary I would say :eek:
    Marineborn says thanks.
  2. twilyth Guest

OK, well, in that case, I'm glad you're alright. :toast:

tornadoes are some scary shit (i felt the need to point that out). Warning times are getting better, but it's still a crap shoot. The best thing to do is surround your place with cows and tractors. They tend to go for the "finger food" first. :D
  3. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys, LOL@finger food! thats awesome, but wouldnt you want that stuff farther away youd imagine that would cause interline distance and be more like shrapnel to you
  4. twilyth Guest

I was thinking they'd go straight up and land on someone else's head. Guess I'm not what you'd call a "good neighbor." Hehehe.

Love the sig btw. Barely legal anime. There oughtta be a law. :cool:
  5. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAHAHAH, yeah ive got a couple of complaints on it, but it doesnt break any rules and i love anime! hahaha, note to self dont move next to you! lol
  6. 123bob

123bob Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    OK, you know it's bad when you qoute yourself....:laugh: My new account is on-board, scoring, and will be up to full power tomorrow or so. So, I'm saying goodbye as "123bob", and saying hello as "123bob_TPU". Now I'm near the bottom of the stack. Here's where the power of one good quad, crunched 24/7/365 will become obvious...... (Hehe, didn't take me long to start "trash-talking" on my new account, now did it....:) j/k!)

I'll grow this account and recruit here for this team.

I invite you to my home too. Right here Stop by, say hello and read some stuff. LOTS OF INFO THERE...

Now here's the important part of this post....I will NOT recruit for XS here, I will recruit for TPU. Over there, I respectfully ask that you do not recruit for TPU. This is the XS house. Doing so may get you in trouble....Otherwise, all questions, comments, etc. are welcome.

You'll find we are pretty laid back and ALL threads go off topic within a couple of posts....:laugh:

Thank you again,

123bob signing off,

123bob_TPU signing on....
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    Paulieg says thanks.
  7. twilyth Guest

bob - can't access that link - tells me i'm not authorized. :wtf:
  8. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Well guys my i7 rig is temporary down from crunching or any activity. Im using my Phenom II rig now and its crunching at least. one rig down, one rig still up.
  9. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Did it blow up?
  10. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Hope not :eek: hopefully just a minor hardware problem and will be back soon...we need the big guns behind the team to keep our place in the stats.
  11. Supreme0verlord

Thanks Received:
    No he said he saw a leak. Here is his quote from the wPrime thread:

12. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why I hate watercooling.. I would say just get a Xigmatek or something for an i7 but I don't think that will work well overclocked... I don't understand why they run so much hotter than other CPU's, is it the HT?
  13. Supreme0verlord

Thanks Received:
    I really have no idea why, it's odd because they run with such low voltage too.
  14. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Ahh thanks....maybe time to get some clamps on there if he has not done so already.
  15. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Thanks supreme for linking the great peeps of this thread.

Thing is that since im using 7/16th tubing on 1/2" barbs, the tubing is a PITA to get off, so I used a plyer to pull it off. The tubing from the rad to the inlet of the CPU cracked slightly and the coolant was slowly exiting and rolling down and landing on my video card. I mean it was like two days for like three drops. But thats enough for me to freak out.

7/16th on 1/2" barbs is great for one time use only, once you take it off and re use it, not really great. I have some 1/2" tubing I ordered from gary for my AMD build, i'll just go ahead and use it on here. I am trying to relocate my pump however to make the tubing shorter, or at least neater. I plan to have the rig back up today, depending if I need to order some fittings or what not, if not it'll be next week.
  16. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    lol....

its not a PITA IF you know the secrets.

put a dab of spit(non mucus, saliva only) on the barb before installing the tubing.

the tube will slide on smooth without any trouble

AND

when you go to pull the tube off it should slide off with a little effort.
  17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I already have the 1/2" why not use it :laugh:
  18. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yes I use 7/16 with my 1/2" barbs and it is crap to get off, I usually cut it and then replace the tubing.

If you are reusing the tubing then make sure you use some clamps with it, I use them all the time anyway.

Glad you caught it before any damage was done :)
  19. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I did this, and it's still a major PITA, especially with with my swifty 655, since the ends are not curved in, the barbs are very difficult to put on and take off with 7/16" tubing. That's why I'm about to order some new 1/2" Tygon.
  20. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    The trick I use to remove 7/16" from the 655 pump (which is an oversize barb) is to take a flat blade scroogedriber and using my thumb (not the pump) as a lever start it off..once that vaccum seal is broken you can pinch the tube with one hand whilst grasping the pump firmly in t'other and wiggle the tube off...pulling on it is like pulling on a Chinese Finger Trap...it just makes the seal tighter... a combo of prying with the screwdriver while wiggling and pinching will get it off.

note this technique will work in a variety of other situations :D
    Chicken Patty, Paulieg and Fitseries3 say thanks.
  21. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick question...do you guy's have alot of tasks "Pending Validation" in your result status.

I have about 15 tasks that show as this from the last couple of days.
  22. 123bob

123bob Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Yup, that's normal. Those tasks have to wait until the other machine(s) assigned to your quorum complete the WU and the system to evaluate the outcome. If you have a fast machine and the other machines are slow, it can take a bit.

If you click on the WU title in the list of pending val, it will bring up a screen that shows the others in the quorum.

At this moment, I have 9 pending sitting on my one machine.

The quorum system also makes it tricky to evaluate a machines daily scores. You have to average the numbers over 10 days to two weeks to account for the quorum uncertainty.

Bob
    oily_17 and Fitseries3 say thanks.
  23. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, with this technique, I easily took the tubing off of my old Swiftech microres, and replaced it with the custom res from CD. Great design on the Res too, dropped my load temps by 3-4c!!:rockout:
  24. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    My Celeron M550 was able to put out 1500 points a day @ 90% cpu load setting. I really wonder how Atom 330 will do.
  25. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Bob :toast:

Still trying to get the hang of the WCG site and just noticed these in my stats, I had thought I had returned more results and didn't see them showing up in the points table.

Well at least I know my machine is running normal....think I will keep a look out for a nice quad to go in the rig I am building and stick it on this.