1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be back full force plus an additional PII 940 by the end of next week. Time to come back and get my pie. You know, I'd really like a piece of that pie that Metal Racer has been posting...but thats a different topic for another thread.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that sucks. I'll keep my eyes peeled in case I stumble on something that actually does what you need it to :toast:
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So I'm back, the X4 955 and P8600 are back up again. Still not sure about the Q6600, I'll have to investigate that some more. The E6550 is also currently offline, my parents were having some issues with it so they were trying to rule BOINC out of the equation, so at the best case it'll be another week before I can get WCG installed on it again :(
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    my points maybe kinda low today i came home from taking the GF out and found that my internet hasn't been working right so i have ~30+ task that didn't upload today on the i7 alone and the other crunchers also haven't turned anything in :banghead: i hope i get a big update tonight and makeup for it
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, sorry about that. I hate it when I find that the internet is out and I've lost a bunch of work in WCG/F@H.
    BTW, you're posed to overtake me again, and I don't think there is anything I can do other than prolong it. Best case scenario, I get the E6550 and Q6600 up again, and I'm at ~4400 PPD, but I don't think I have any way of getting much past that, so you'd still be gaining on me at ~1000/day
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff man, I would also want a piece of that other pie but yeah, we'll leave that out of this :laugh:
  8. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    :rockout: its about time i get to overtake you. I been trying to since you passed me. Seems that the i7 is what pushed me ahead.
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well I know that this is your view on the subject, but personally, I am disappoint. I already have two people who are going to pass me in the next three days, I don't want to go down any further :(
    At the current estimate, I have 2 months to come up with a solution :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i can understand your view of it too. But i am happy to be able to battle with you and Velvet again.any idea of how much money you can get in that time? Also buy a better HSF for your phenom and clock that up. It will help some.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to get...probably not much. My birthday's not until the end of May, so I can't rely on b-day money, and I don't have much else I can sell (maybe ~$100 total of spare computer junk to sell). I'd really like an i7, but I know that's not happening. I'm going to talk to my friend about his Q6600 ASAP, so that's another ~1300 PPD, ~1800 once he gets a new PSU and we push it up to 3.4ghz (I know its fully-stable at those speeds). And if I get the E6550 back up, that's ~400 (only on ~14 hours/day). And if I get something like a Mugen 2/Dark Knight/H50 and a new case (better airflow), I can get 3.8 or 3.9ghz out of the X4 955 (after it snowed a lot here, I took the computer outside, left off the side and top panels, and put an ultra-high-RPM fan on the HSF, got it up to 3.9ghz with ease, and temps were under 40c (ambient were ~-5c at the time :D)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    hate to tell you this ion but i plan in 2months to have another rig also... looking at a i3 or X4 630
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess I'm doomed then. I would build another Wolfdale rig or something, but my parents complain about the power usage of the current rig already...so more than 1 desktop/laptop is a no-go for me. Just remember this: I'm not done yet. One day I will smite you down :p (j/k OFC, although I would like to get some of the threats gone_
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Just remember i have a few more MHZ in all of my rigs so if needed i can tweak them alittle more :D

what do you think would be better i3 or AII X4
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I would probably go with the X4, AFAIK the i3 is a dual-core with HT and the AII X4 is a full-quad. I've been suspicious of HT since the P4HT, and, although I do realize that HT has improved recently, I would still rather have a real quad core. And I prefer AMD, so the X4 620 or 630 gets my vote
    p_o_s_pc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    the i3 IS a DUAL CORE with HT so you are correct there. From what i have seen from the i3 its "fake" cores are only slightly slower then the real cores BUT the i3 can clock higher for 24/7 use .On the other hand the X4 would be cheaper because i could pickup a cheap AM2+ board and use my left over DDR2 ram.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm all in favor of something cheaper, even if it means that I get overtaken quicker. After all, what really matters is the work we get done for the people at WCG, not where we stand in the team & the points. So as long as an X4 wouldn't be drastically slower than the i3, I would go with the cheaper solution
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Just save money for another i7 ;o
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I'm not feeling another i7 a it will be 2x the cost of the X4 and i can't deal with that much more heat.:ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see healthy competition here. I have D.Law getting daily pie and gaining on me, must get more powah before he gets me!
  21. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Excellent news team!
    I talked to my friend with the Q6600, and he's currently out of town, so once he arrives the Q6600 is going to back on 24/7 duty for WCG. I also talked to my parents, I'll probably be putting WCG back on their computer soon-ish. I also talked to my friend who I sold the Q9400 to, I may be able to put WCG on it as well, we'll see. So it sounds like I'll likely be back up to approximately where I was, possibly higher :D
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Awesome news Ion, hope it all goes to plan!
    [Ion] says thanks.
  23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the support, *goes and clicks on thanks button*, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted about what happens. I'm not overly excited about the ~2200 PPD that I've been getting recently :shadedshu
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. KieX

Thanks Received:
    All for the team!

Quick, question.. would a Dual Xeon 1366 server cruncher be better than 2 seperate i7 rigs? Or am I right in thinking the higher clocks you can get from overclocking win out?
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the 2 i7 rigs would be better...most i7s are capable of at least 3.5ghz...a dual Xeon would have to stay stock (2.66ghz presumably), so that's an ~30% speed boost for the i7s, and WCG scales linearly with CPU speed, so 2 i7s would be noticeably faster. And quite a few i7s will do 4.0ghz+, so that's a 50% speed increase versus a 2.66ghz Xeon
    Crunching for Team TPU