1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    It's a happy chip for sure. +1. However, the CHIVE bios is limited (flash to the beta 3027 to accept the 8150) I have to rely on load line calibration to increase voltage. There is no manual adjustment option.

All I did was keep increase the bus. and lowering the multi. I could probably push the NB higher but I'll let it sit where it's at for now. I'm sure I could also get to 4.4-4.5Ghz but again. I'll just leave it be happy where it's at :)
    Norton and Daimus say thanks.
  2. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Read what I wrote about the 3027 BIOS. We have the same mother boards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85784&page=656
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I am still have no connection to WCG server. My crunchers have 200 completed tasks, but no one is accepted/validated.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    That sucks :(

Is it still coming up as an issue with WCG servers? One of the posts in that link I sent states that WCG tries to clear these issues up within 24 hours.

On the positive side, your points are going to be massive when they get reported! :toast:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I'm not having any issues right now.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys are so right these FX chips are crunching beasts... Wish i got the 8150 now... 8 core crunchy goodness...

EDIT: many thanks for all the welcomes....
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Hey Team- sorry I'm going to have to back my rigs down and give up my piece of Pie for a little while :( the heat is just too much.

I will continue to run at least 2 rigs to maintain 8-10k ppd output and still need to figure out how to get the other 2 rigs plus at least 1-2 more rigs back in operation as soon as possible.

Will let you know if there are any updates ASAP

Thx
    [Ion], Daimus, KieX and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Dam sorry to hear man.
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Yep they are awesome "work" chips :toast: Which FX are you running?

Thanks Bud- If I was a water cooling junkie all of my rigs would have been piped into an outside radiator and still running :laugh: I'm just losing the PC heat vs AC battle atm :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    Any of you have suggestions for giving a laptop a good cleaning?

Edit: And just realized I might be a bit lazy asking you. The internet probably have good guidance about that. :S Still want your opinions of course. :)
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    How dirty is it? Most of mine get the canned air treatment through their heatsinks, vents, and fans. Then I clean the outside, keyboard, and screen with disposal electronic wipes.

Haven't had a problem with them yet using these methods :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Air compressor for vents and crevices, eyeglass cleaner + microfiber cloth for screens if necessary. Take a paper clip and stop the fans from spinning if you can, while cleaning the vents. If your air compressor has a pressure regulator, try it on something low like 30 PSI first so you don't end up raping your laptop.

Canned difluoroethane works alright too, but you have to use it frequently before a thick layer of dust builds as they are weak. I personally hate them because the bittering agent they use in those cans to prevent angsty teenagers from getting high off it or instantly killing themselves gives me headaches, dizziness, etc.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    About 2 years of faithful service, and never a cleaning. :S

Might have access to a small compressor, but read that there might be problems with water with them, think it's a big problem?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im working with the 4100 right now... Always liked AMD but got caught up in all the bulldozer fail hype and got the 4100 thinking piledriver i might go 8 core.... The 4100 gets me exactly 150 points per hour... What does the 8150 do per hour??
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:
    The 8150 can do 4-5,000 ppd or higher depending on how high you set the clocks on it :)
    baggpipes and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I feel ya, the heat is wicked. Are you going to drop down to the FX-6200 & FX-8150 for now?
    Any chance you can spread things out (put computers in different rooms) to manage the heat?

What are you planning on for the new rigs? More FXs?
    :respect:
    Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I will be running the 6100 and the 6200 as they run the coolest (36-38C @100%) but will plan on some part-time crunching for my main rig (8150) and the other rig (1045T) for evenings or when it gets a little cooler.
    I can't really put them in different rooms because they increase the load on the AC to cool the house as well as the electrical load. Am still looking at moving 2 rigs to other locations but one of locations gets too hot in this weather, was 98F in there on Friday :eek:

As far as new rigs... until I find something better, all of my new rigs will be FX 6 or 8 cores with Biostar A880GZ mobo's (cheap but effective little boards :cool:)
    [Ion] and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I missed that daimus.

I never checked the cores for throttling when running the bus speed at stock. But I would never run it at stock anyway because I overclock my RAM. But yes there is very limited settings for full overclocking on this chip. As i said, I must rely on LLC to set the voltages.

If you set the LLC to 0% you can get an overclock at about 1.24V 4.3Ghz But I'm not certain that is stable. I will play with some setting a little more in a couple weeks.
  19. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    My LLC was set on full calibration. And it did not save the frequency under full load. It's good that you bumped up the bus frequency because of memory, I do too. But the 215 and 275 also give throttling.

P.S. I have no button "thanks".:banghead:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Actually I reduced the LLC to 50% now and temps are better!

Your "thanks" will be back soon. You probably passed your quota for the day, you can only thank so many times.
    mjkmike says thanks.
  21. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:

I'll try, maybe it will reduce my energy bills.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone have problems with electricity? I heard that on the East Coast of the U.S. electric power are disabled because of bad weather.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Norton

Thanks Received:
    As I understand it, a few areas near Washington DC/Maryland were hit with very strong downdraft thunderstorms which caused severe wind damage and widespread power outages- will likely take a week or so to clean up the damage and get everyone their power back in the area.

We had a similar experience where I live last year and lost power for 4-5 days.

I'm not sure if any of our team members are in that area....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    "Some three million people have been left without power after violent storms hit the region around the US capital, Washington DC.
    The storms swept from the Midwest states to the region around Washington, packing winds of up to 80mph (130 km/h).
    The power outages left many sweltering without air conditioning amid a record-breaking heatwave.
    At least 12 deaths have been linked to the storm, officials say.
    The heatwave has seen all-time records smashed with temperatures of 104F (40C) in DC."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18656648

I hope that our people are not here.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Not me, luckily. I survived the 5 day tropical storm unscathed, even with water blowing into the building through the area between the foundation/steel walls and almost flooding out my running computers on the floor (they were saved by the plastic feet on the bottom of the cases). It wasn't as bad as it sounds, but there were puddles of water on the floor surrounding the computers. At least I moved from power strips to wall taps for power, otherwise I would have had some serious electrical problems with power strips being flooded on the floor.
    Crunching for Team TPU