1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Maybe DistrRTgen? It is for searching after weak hashes and pretty useful (yes the "Rainbow Tables" will be publicly available). You do not pay for the power bill IIRC, so it might be worth consideration (others must keep the higher GPU load in mindbecause of the power bills).

On a sidenote, there is very little lag while I am typing this. In fact, only scrolling does so that is quirte a difference compared to the WCG GPU WUs. (toast)
    I will still run the DistrRTgen WUs only a few hours per night though, because of the power draw.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    i'd be interested in trying that and seeing the difference in power. The HCC gpu WUs haven't been too bad for me power wise, so it hasn't been a real deterrent.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    My HD 6670 is now running its first DistrRTgen unit since about an hour, the remaining time is estimated to be another 2 hours. Lag seems less present, although the GPU load seems higher judging by the temps.
    Do not forget to disable CPU WUs for the project if you want to reserve the CPU cores for WCG; and the team to join is the one founded by Mathew-3770K, i.e. the unofficial "TechPowerUp!" team. The link to the project is in my signature.

Edit: According to Afterburner, the GPU load has dropped significantly now (for a while at least it, can be as high as 98% but as low as 5%), as well as the temperatures. So overall the power draw might be similar to the HCC WUs (assuming one WU at a time).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I see I got 26K today and I still have 50+ pages of pendings but I guess I'll run out by Wednesday. Luckily I'll be back on Thursday to crunch more. :peace:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    OMG look at the credits I get for 1 GPU WU for DistrRTgen! Those with 87 cobblestones are regular CPU WUs (which I have disabled now for that particular project).

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    100K Passed!:cool:
    Where's my Cruncher Badge?:p

Edit: Found it!

stinger608, [Ion], Chevalr1c and 3 others say thanks.
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Congrats!!! :toast:

JNUKZ says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you. I just bought another 7850 but I am also going to use it in crossfire with the one I have for gaming. If it wasn't for that I would have used the money elsewhere. :toast:

I have decided to go ahead and pull this from being for sale. When the gpu unit's run out I want to have some fire power in the way of cpu cores to put into action.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Just a heads up for anyone looking to pick up another GCN GPU, Tom's Hardware and Newegg have a special going for Power Color's 7870XT. It's $208.79 with free shipping after the promo code.

Link

The 7870XT (or 7930 to lessen confusion) offers a seriously solid price/performance ratio. Linearly taking the clock speed multiplied by stream processors all over price gives this card the best # of Ghz Stream Processors/Dollar ratio of any card in the HD 7000 lineup at the moment.
    Example:
    HD 7770
    640 SP x 1.0 Ghz / $110 = 5.818 GHzSP/Dollar

HD 7870XT
    1536 x .975 Ghz (Boost) / $210 = 7.131 GhzSP/Dollar

Obviously, performance isn't that simple, especially in games. From what I understand, though, HCC-GPU WU's scale fairly linearly with an increase in SP's on GCN.

I'm considering picking up one or two myself. My only concern would be the longterm limitation of 2GB of VRAM, and perhaps the cooler isn't the most robust I've ever seen. My grandpa passed away two weeks ago after a lengthy bought with Lung Cancer, and seeing as I'll be getting some inheritance in the not too distant future, I'd like to get a new rig up and crunching in his memory. Hopefully the promo code/stock holds out for a bit, but if it doesn't, I'm sure another deal will come along. 7950's have been plummeting.

okidna, AnnCore, Norton and 1 other person say thanks.
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    My condoleances regarding your grandfather.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    +1 sorry to hear about your grandfather Xenturion- I lost both of mine a bunch of years ago :(

As far as gpu purchases... that'a a good price on the 7870XT (or 7890/7930 whatever :rolleyes:). I'm going to wait a bit to see what the 7790 does to all of the pricing on the other cards before deciding if I'm going to pick up another gpu.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Okay, a few WUs later I can say that the GPU load usually is around 80%, that is lower than the HCC WUs, by my knowledge. That first DistrRTgen GPU WU simply had some high peaks in it, as it seems.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Whats the interest in distrrgen? Is it just because it does not lag? I know milkyway@home also does amd gpu work.

Anyone know anything about how the 7790 does?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    grabbing a Tt TR2 500w and a Hyper 212 EVO on thursday :D after that its just the CPU and Win 7, i'll grab a SSD in May. I should have this rig ready to go by April 20th :p

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Myself, [Ion] and manofthem were discussing candidate projects for our GPUs to switch to after the WCG GPU WUs have dried up.

I was checking out whether it could work well enough with my HD 6670 (after all it is not an über-powerful card), and generating Rainbow Tables in order to discover weak hashes (encryption related) seems useful to me.
    There is some lag with my card (less than with WCG), but that may be not the case with more powerful GPUs. In addition, both CPU cores are kept available for CPU crunching which is not the case with the WCG GPU WUs.

I might check out Milkyway@home as well.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I've decided that I might as well OC the 3930k a bit more now that it's running under better cooling--at 4.17GHz it was in the low-50s with peaks in the upper 50s. Now I'm running it at 4.48GHz and IBT load temps are in the low-to-mid 50s with peaks between 56 and 60C. It's going to run a stress test for at least a bit longer, but then it's back to WCG. Provided that all is well over the net few days, and time permitting, I may have to push it higher this weekend.

I'm beyond impressed with this WC setup :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I certainly appreciate your endeavors in the GPU field. :respect: I don't have the time really to figure it all out, so it'll be nice to know what options are open after the HCC gpu WUs are done.
    :toast:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    you would think that the other projects through BIONC/WCG would take heed of open CL and make more GPU wu's available over more projects.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely, hopefully we will see more projects soon :)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    im still tempted to grab a 7750 2gb ddr3 for $75.... decision, decisions.....

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Try Collatz conjecture. Thats what mine are doing now ;)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  22. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Even if it is not as fast as a normal HD 7750, it still is an awesome deal (it is slightly less than what I paid for my HD 6670 DDR3).

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    others have said that for WCG it should have any performance penalty.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I've seen quite a few 7770's in the $85-90 range.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Really? Those are like 100 euro (~120USD) here.

In other news, I attached my PC to POEM@home (set on GPU work only). Within a few days, I should have aquired some WUs so that I can say how well that project runs for me (it is protein related research).

Crunching for Team TPU