1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    to bad you didnt live in my country/city. The OCK Frio was $38.88 on clearance last week.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Well, yeah :(
    Newly released hardware always takes at least 2 weeks to become available here. Everything's at least 25% more expensive due to taxes. And high-end part availability is often a problem [but that's another story]
    Buying online is often not an option - assuming the site ships to here, it is not rare for the shipping to be more expensive than the part being ordered, even with the cheapest shipping options.

If I won't order today, I should get a much larger list of available coolers tomorrow. Might have some of those.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Just a thought for those kind souls who help us out with the Chimp Challenge. This year is different in that we will not be working under one username, but under our own names. The reason that this is significant is that the bonus for SMP Work Units is not given until you've successfully completed 10 WU's. Given this, if you have not met that requirement, I see 2 options:
    Option 1
    You can still Fold under ChimPowerUp and the same passkey still works.
    Option 2
    Start Folding now. Chimp starts in just over 48 hours. You must get your own passkey for your own username. Also, to speed up the process, ask over on the Folding thread and you might get some help getting those 10 WU's done. First come, first served of course.
    Thanks,
    B
    Edit: AMD cards work well with the new beta GPU WU's. You will need to us a passkey for these as well. (only one passkey needed for SMP and/or beta)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Norton, laptop-hpc and HammerON say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    argg... the linux crunched got a fs error. Boinc shows 0 MB used for projects and no projects are listed in the prokects page. I re-started and got a blank screen with a "grub rescue>" prompt :banghead:

Ok then, back to windows. I was going to anyway since I don't have another system to put the 7870 in.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~juris/WCG/UPDATE-APR2013.pdf

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Nooooooooo.... I had just bougth 2 7870s for HCC. I thought we had at least another month left. :cry:

EDIT: NVM, read the complete report. A few weeks left. Gotta push down the accelerator to make the most of them.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Chevalr1c and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Indeed. I wish we'd have GPU work forever, but on the up size it means we've done an amazing job accelerating the HCC project--something for us to be immensely proud of! :toast:

Chevalr1c and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I guess the ending of the HCC GPU WUs will usher in an age where I will be crunching some other projects, like that short time when the HCC WUs stopped working before and I had to run CPU only. It was a pie-less time, but nice regardless. :)

Who knows what the future will bring in.... I actually just finally received the i3 2100 I had purchased on a whim, so now I need to find a home for it :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I'm feeling another Team Challenge coming :D

Any thoughts on a Mother's Day challenge for 2 weeks in May :)

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I'm always in for challenges! Sounds like I need to find a setup for this CPU to get going too.

Next time there is a challenge, I'm going to petition my brother for his PC to crunch for me :D :roll:

BTW Norton, thanks a lot for the hook up ;) :respect:

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Im sure you could get a lot of signatures around here...

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Yes! I could start an online petition and show it to him. He's into science and stuff, so he should be up for it :laugh:

That's what i'm talking about, community love :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Anytime Bud!

Let's see what help we can give the F@H Team in their Chimp Challenge and then we can plan our next one.

*Note- AFAIK there is now better support for the Radeon 6xxx and 7xxx gpu's in F@H ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    So the question is: Do I forsake the short time left of HCC WUs to try to get into the F@H challenge? I'll take a gander this evening and see if F@H is something that I can setup and get into. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:
    I may bring one of the 7770 or 7870 rigs over depending on how well they may work at F@H as well as how well the Xeon/2x 580 rig works out ;)

FYI- F@H will work your gpu pretty hard-LOT's of heat!!! :fear:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    If a GPU can handle F@H, it can handle anything.:D (and it's safer than FurMark)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    While gaming, I still leave most of my CPU cores crunching. (No noticeable gaming performance impact, so why not?)
    But, I am going to spend the whole weekend in a LAN Party. I attended that annual LAN Party before, and I know that place can get HOT, especially when MOBA tournaments take place.
    I will run BOINC as much as I can there nontheless, but I might have to suspend it completely during the hotter periods to keep my computer healthy.
    Thus, my score will probably go down a lot during that time. Sorry guys!
    Although, my "normal" PPD is even smaller than the regular daily team score deviations, so I am just a drop in an ocean called "Team TPU"; it won't make a big difference anyway...

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Enjoy the weekend! But remember this:

Every point/every result is as important as any other- the next major breakthrough in curing cancer or any other terrible illness we donate our PC time to can come from a single result/wu from anyone.... from the newest user on a slow machine to a university running all of their servers on WCG ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Daimus and Vinska say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    from HCC website:

Thanks to overwhelming support by World Community Grid members, and their contributions
    of CPU and GPU cycles, we are nearing the end of the grid-computation phase of the Help
    Conquer Cancer project. April 4, 2013, marked the completion of 300 million images.
    Thank you all for continued support. It is exciting to finalize this long project and start getting
    results we have been waiting for. At the same time – we are embarking on another, even
    more exciting project

i bolded the last part as these guys ushered in GPU wu's, so im hoping their next project involves GPU's

Chevalr1c, laptop-hpc, TRWOV and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    +1 Very well said indeed.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    So another weird issue:

I just jumped on my other rig to see if I could get a little more out of the 7870, and there was nothing going on: no WUs. Not sure why but I ended up resetting the project to get more WUs once again. It wasn't a low buffer. I had one WU stuck at uploading, but I don't think that would cause the issue.

Anyway, reset it and it downloaded what it needed, now it's working peacefully; let's hope it keeps working and without any more hiccups.

Unrelated, I'm up to 1135 core clock on my 7970s, and I want to see how high I can bump them. Let's hope that they keep going and are able to hit something like james' at like 1200+; that would be splendid indeed. :toast:

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I'll let you in on my secret but don't tell anyone... Sshhhh... The answer is my 7970 run at no more than 36c so I can overvolt and overclock as high as the card will go. 1250 just seems to be the sweet spot in terms of stability, but I have clocked up to 1375. My card can do 1150 at stock volts and be stable.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Blessed be your card, a magical beast gpu. Those numbers are impressive :eek: :respect:

I want 2 of yours :p

I'd love to crunch at 1200 stable, currently running at 1150/1500 @1.2v @41-42*C, and I'm hoping to push further.

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I find that funny. I look at these other guys cards who go to 1300mhz at the same volts it takes me to get to 1250 and get jealous. Those guys also seem to get 1200 at stock volts. My 2500k only goes to 4.5ghz, 4.6ghz but will crash eventually, and I get jealous of all these 5ghz guys.

1200@1.2v seems like what mine does. I get 1300@1.250v. 1375mhz was just a strait see what I can do at max volts with bitcoin mining, which does not need much stability. Vrm's got to like 70c.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Mydog

Mydog

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• val.JPG
      val.JPG
      File size: