1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's WCG/BOINC Team

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chicken Patty, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Sweet man. My wife would absolutely kill me if I cranked up that many rigs. I get the eye every now and then with the 4 that are running now.:roll: :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet!

Yea it wasn't that bad.. I'm thinking $900 /month.. :eek: actually that's an estimate.. :p I don't like to think back.. lol hehehe

lol I wasn't married then.. but I am now.. lol but she doesn't say to much... hehehe
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Bought a Laptop...

An ASUS S56CA Ultrabook with an i5, a 24GB SSD cache, Atheros wireless....yada,yada.
    All I know is, I am liking it very much. Aside from WIN8, it is awesome. I am gonna stick it out with WIN8 since, word is, they are gonna bring the start button back and an option to look more like 7, with SP1. So, rather than mess with finding all the drivers to run the SSD as a cache, or dumping it and running as two separate drives... Well, maybe someday. I'm more than content to be able to get online at the coffee shops and bar, like now. Soon, I will have a Clear 4G thing-a-ma-job that I can use wherever. Then, after I figure out how to pay for it, I will upgrade to the unlimited plan. Then get back to crunching with this thing, instead of the desktops since they are all in storage somewhere, or another.

Anyways, I got a bunch of A's in welding and math classes. School is done, for now, and I have a little free time again. I'm still working but, no overtime! Fat cats at corporate put the hammer down on overtime, after posting the best year ever, this past year!

So, at least the coffee shop I frequent, downtown here, has 11n. I will be checking in a bit more frequently, and be crunching, part time, soon! Yippee!! :toast:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AEVMH2/?tag=tec06d-20 Link to the Amazon description and such.
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow. That is really a lot.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Great news Arjai.:toast::toast::toast:
    Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Great to hear from you Arjai! :toast:-:respect:
    Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Over 30°C in shade.
    My CPUs are sizzling :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Both of the C2D laptops are up and going again, and I'm going to ask about the i7 today with a goal of bringing it in Monday.

The HPF2 project is also drawing to a close:
    here and here
    laptop-hpc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Dyam! I looked into this yesterday and thought "oh, it's estimated to have work for more than two more years. Plenty of time to get muh badges!". Now, it turns out the estimation was WAY off. D'awww~! :ohwell:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea it's a lot, but I don't pay that much.. hehehe That was just an estimate. :toast: I did a cost analysis on it back then when I started. Now my power bill isn't cheap, but no where near that price. I meant to tell you all that last night, but I fell a sleep.. lol :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Where I live, my 1000 watts of compute power costs about $50 a month if run 24/7.

I was looking at completion times. My 2500k@4.5ghz finishes in ~2 hours while my phenom 965@3.3ghz finishes in ~5 hours. So that means my 2500k is 2.5X faster right?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Nice to hear from you buddy and glad things are looking up for you. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Main rig is throwing errors and BSOD's (Memory Management??) at me today :( :banghead:

Hopefully I can get it back to normal soon w/o too much trouble :shadedshu
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  15. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Decided to get cute and add another 80mm to the Hyper 101 on the i5 2400 for a shits 'n' giggles push/pull config :p
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I talked with another guy at work today and I've been told that it would be fine to bring in a system of my own to leave it crunching there. So come Monday I anticipate bringing the 2700k online for WCG and perhaps the GTX470s for FAH :toast:
    AlienIsGOD and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    hoping this works...

I did a little research, very little, due to having WIN8 and wanting to run BOINC. so, downloaded 70.0.28, or sumptin'. It is trying to download jobs, as I type this. Hope it works!
    Chevalr1c, ThE_MaD_ShOt and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    7.0.64 is the latest stable and 7.1.1 is the latest beta version. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
  19. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    With the temperature in shade going past +30°C for the fifth day in a row, I had to downvoltage my FX-8320 and downclock it to 3.9 GHz to keep it stable :(
    (today was the hottest - it easily went past +35°C in shade)

Some time ago, I found out that the clock "turning point" of this chip I have is at ~ 3.95GHz. When going past that, it needs whooping increases in voltage to keep it stable. That means I won't have it running at 4+ GHz unless it's winter and/or if I finally decide to get proper watercooling.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Crunching...

Well, it is 7.0.28 that is running without glitches on my Win8. Just uploaded my first project, in over a year, with three more to upload shortly!! Me so pysch-ed!!

This i5 runs 4 at a time, the same as my three desktops, combined!! AND, I am pretty sure it runs them a bit faster. ;)

On a side note, looks like I am going to have to update my gear list here. That makes me happy :)

My second task is ready to report now! Whoo Hoo!

I'm not sure why but, it truly makes me feel good to be crunching again. It feels like I am now worth more, something! Plus, I am still a bit giddy about the awesome-ness of this awesome ASUS I have been salivating over for more than half a year!!

It is soooo nice when dreams come true and ARE just as good as they were when they were dreams! Not quite the norm for me!! ;)

Thanks to all here for remembering me! I am honored to be apart of the TPU crunching team!! You all have taught me and helped me and provided hardware...I can't thank you all enough for taking me in with just a few questions in the Socket A forum, so long ago ( hee,hee) From one Duron to a Overclocked 2600, a P4 build up of a junk comp to a Mint running, 2.8Ghz P4 cruncher!! Then the AMD dual, doubling my cores!!

Well, I still have them all, in storage, and now I have this. With more to come.

I have a plan for the AMD dual, I have a friend, works for Comcast, that I am hoping to move the Dual to his place. Then, switch out the HDD, thanks Norm, reload Ubuntu and BOINC, and just leave it plugged in. I can check on it on WCG and if it stops...reboot!

I kinda like that plan! I may have to install a wireless card, can't remember if it has one, but that's it! As long as his dogs can't pee on it...should run effortlessly! :)

Take care, and keep those CPU's cool! :toast:
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Lightofhonor

Lightofhonor

Thanks Received:
    Scaling back the crunching after the contest. Decided to leave one unit lightly crunching continuously, but any more and my basement is going to stay at its current 85 degrees lol. It's been warm, folks!
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It's getting increasingly unpleasant weather-wise here in NC, so I'm only going to be running my 3930k part-time to keep temps in check. I'm going to see if I can also lodge the Xeon DP setup somewhere as well--but for now my priority is getting the 2700k setup at work tomorrow :toast:
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I can vouce for for Ion's nasty weather. Here in the Outer Banks it has been crappy all day. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It's been mid-to-upper 80s during the day--if it's in the 70s at least I can vent with the outside, but with weather like this and a consistent 500w+ being dumped into the room it's just too much. I can't sleep or think when it's this hot :p
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    It's in the 60's right now here and has rained off and on all day here.
    Crunching for Team TPU