1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Urgent PC build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by nocrapman, Oct 12, 2008.

1. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I like the build and all but why a video card when there is no gaming involved? Why not 4GB and a board with 4 dimms? Then again, not my build so I am leaving it at that. :eek:

2. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh i thought get a vid card since its only $20 and might give some better options for monitor enhancements over integrated. and its DX10 in case a jump to Vista is ever made

lol i didn't notice the mobo restrictions with mem slots until after i chose it. i didn't feel like picking another :/

its inexpensive and 2 gigs sounds like enough memory for what the unit will be used for. so two slots is plenty i suppose

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    probably tried flashing the bios or the video card went bad, or he tried reseting the bios, there is a jumper on the board that controls that, i suggest changing that to reset everything then place it to default before powering up. Read the Manual on the motherboard for the proper settings.

5. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. At this point after considering all the suggestions, I am going to keep it simple.
    No games... no VGA.

4GBs of RAM (or room for that), since although I am installing XP for now, he might upgrade to Vista later.

I am still looking for a compact-ish case, that has good circulation, yet is not big. Since I am not installing gaming card/sound card or other goodies... I would like to keep it small on size without running into major heat issues.

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have a look at the antec solo/P150.

They're not that cheap, but they're a well cooled, quiet(silent if you use good fans) case that isnt unnecessarily large.

7. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!
    Any idea where I might find decent SATA cables without paying twice the money for shipping?

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    sorry no clue. I have piles of them, since i get free ones with every new motherboard.

I'd just have a look in local stores, you might get some bargains.

9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PM me. I've got a TON of SATA cables. I'll sell them cheap, and shipping should be very reasonable.

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    well then a DX10 vid card would be desirable. otherwise Vista Premium (Aero) isn't going to be so great

just sayin'. for $20 its a good investment imo

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the AM2 780G board mentioned earlier, had full DX10 support (and therefore, full vista support)

12. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn

ignore post above...above post :p

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    I made sure to mention that when i was originally reccomending the AM2 board over the intel versions suggested, purely because of the added features of the onboard video card. (Vista, blu ray)

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You don't need DX10 to run any part of Aero. DX10 has nothing to do with Aero, and is only going to come into play in games, which he alreadys said isn't a factor.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i figured that out already thanks

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Indeed you dont, but compared to the intel offerings and their poor performance, the AMD onboard is a world faster for no more cost increase.

If the option was powerful onboard graphics, or spending more cost for a weak dedicated card in the event of upgrading... for a non gamer, the powerful (overkill) onboard is the best choice.

ChromeDome says thanks.
  17. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i learn something everyday here :)

18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya he wouldnt need to spend a extra 30 dollars on a video card when he has a built in unit.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just to clarify my key point, he wont need to spend money on a new video card for current OR future purposes.

He could have got an intel GMA 950 onboard now, and been fine in XP, but suffered crappy aero performance if he went vista. Its spending the same money not just for the current purposes, but hedging your bets against possible future uses as well. Thats why i mentioned blu ray support, cause in a few years this PC could well end up a media PC like many older systems do today.

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    well looking at alot of the boards on NE, those AMDs do have good feature set, for today and tomorrow, if he decides he wants to game, he can always slap in a good videocard and be on his way.

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Why would he need a more powerful solution? The intended use of the machine isn't going to be helped in any way by the improved graphics solution. However, it is going to hindered by the weaker processor. Video Editing/Encoding is a lot heavier on the CPU than the GPU, the GPU goes virtually unused.

You speak of Blu-Ray player support, but do you really think they are going to be slapping a Blu-Ray drive in a $500 budget build? I don't. And if the time ever comes that Blu-Ray playback is needed, a $20 graphics card can be added that will get the job done.

But for right now, the Intel builds with the better CPU fit the intended uses of the computer better. The AMD builds would be better overall, but he doesn't want a better overall computer, he wants a computer to fit a purpose.

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes, you have a valid point. It boils down to two things: The intels would require further investment down the road (extra video card) whereas the AMD would not. The goal was a budget build for someone who is not a gamer or overclocker - so just saying 'we can throw a better one in later' is very inconvenient to that kind of person.

I thought of the same thing you just spoke of, and decided it was an inefficient way of doing it. The AMD method is very close to as powerful, whilst leaving itself open to changes in purpose WITHOUT any hardware changes required to go with it.

(note that i said 'in a few years' on blu ray. they'll be dirt cheap in a year or two, and if the owner requires a more powerful encoding PC, then having this one more versatile helps with resale value to achieve that goal)

23. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a very interesting decision making process. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Here's where I am at this point and I know I need to wrap up quickly, so I can order by tonight:

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324
    It gives me inbuilt video, helps keep it simple for now, but has the scope for upgrade.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103211
    I know.. what am I thinking. But for the price-performance ratio, I just find this unresistable at $60. Later on, when the Phenoms are selling this cheap, I can upgrade the proc and relegade it to a media server.

PSU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010
    lots of headroom for any upgrade and future proof.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
    For XP, this should be sufficient!

ODD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106265
    Cheap and free shipping.

Total at this point: $255.

I still need a decent case and do I need a CPU cooler/HS if I am not OCing this thing?
    Please suggest...

What do you guys think? I might get away with this under for $350!!!

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The GMA950 doesn't have any problem with Aero. The Aero performance is no where near "crappy" on it. This statement makes it pretty obvious that you have never actually used Aero on a GMA950.

The only thing that would require a better video card down the road would be Blu-Ray support. And with both builds that WOULD require a hardware change. With the AMD build, a Blu-Ray drive would need to be installed, or at the very minimum an external drive. The Intel build would require a video card also. By the time Blu-Ray drives are dirt cheap, so will the video cards that are required to play Blu-Ray movies. Heck you can already pick up a video card capable of Blu-Ray playback for under $30...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  25. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't like the processor too much. i mean i do, but if building something new....maybe consider spending a little more....for a little more?

and this power supply is less money before rebate on your unit and just $15 more after

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015

i think its a better choice for the money and a good compromise as you don't have to wait for a rebate. its top notch, the OCZ StealthXStream is fairly average and under load the PCP&Cooling could prolly outperform it. 500w or no.

so, just $15 more. or $15 less right off the bat, no rebate to wait on

and i still like my 8450 Tri Core choice for the processor. i mean its not a quad, but its not priced like one, either.

but if keeping the price ultra low ($350) i suppose you're doing a good job

if nothing else consider the PSU

oh, and i still like my build at the bottom of the last page better. just dump the vid card and match it with your chosen mobo. right there you've almost made up the difference in price. the RAM is cheaper, and the processor makes it a more dynamic build for your dads purposes. you can upgrade the PSU if you like, i suppose. but i doubt it will ever need a 600w PSU

just my two cents....

nocrapman says thanks.