1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vista not as bad as people say

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wolf2009, Apr 22, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

I installed vista 4 days ago , and applied the latest updates with SP 1 . Also applied some tweaks . It has been a pleasant experience till now . running pretty smoothly .

Somethings which run better than XP SP2 are :

Photoshop loads faster .

Winamp Bento Skin window doesn't stutter now when clicked on to show from minimized . It stuttered a lot in xp with the same system.

And above all , vista looks sweet .

Hard Drive Read Speed increased by 6Mb/s ( without the HDD speed tweak in vista, checked with HD Tune ) . Avg speed much more than it was in xp .

Still have to get somethings ironed out. After that i think i'm going to keep this OS .

2. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its usualy because people think that a new os should be able to run on a 4-5 year old computer ;) Vista runs great on my computer, but yeah, still got some stuff that needs fixing :)

Dangle, Kei, tkpenalty and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    More of a general software thread than general hardware;)

Not all people are quite as lucky. It took the third install of Vista for me to accept it, mainly because it wasn't cooperating with my wifi network. It seems that since SP1 was released, my "Local Access Only" problem has dissapeard, and I am now satisfied with it as well

4. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what people think. Some people prefer Vista because of DX 10.1 and its appearance and some prefer XP because of DX 9 for older games and its outstanding performance. And theres some people who don't care about anything and stick with the stupid Windows NT 4.0?

5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    some people dont like vista cos they are quite happy with the debugged and mature operating system they have already and dont fancy having to go thru the same stupid proccess all over again just cos MS want to keep making oodles of money at the worlds expense..

vista is a buggy bloated piece of crap that does nobody any good except MS.. it brings nothing new to the table even thow sooner or later we will all be forced to move to it..

vent over.. he he he

trog

6. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    from reports of Windows 7 ,ppl might not even have to bother with Vista if they so wish.

straight from XP to W7 bypassing Vista completely. we all know Vista was kinda rush fill in OS ,and judging from how fast MS are supposedly wanting to get out W7 they know it as well.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    By the time win7 comes out would people on xp not be better moving to vista because then it would have become more mature and less driver issues etc and then there would be compatibility issues that vista had when it came out. i think ;)

8. wolf2009 Guest

i remember how much i hated xp when it first came out. look how times have changed . now everyone including me swears by xp . same thing is happening with vista .

9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    MS had a reason to move to XP from 98.. they had to get rid of dos.. no such reason exists for the XP to vista forced move..

in some ways MS have shot themselves in the foot with such a resource hungry piece of bloatware.. the new low power atom aint gonna sit well with it.. in fact no laptop sits well with it.. battery life being the biggest problem..

trog

BumbRush says thanks.
  10. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    how about for the sake of change? isnt the point of a company to offer a product or service, and make a profit? i mean i know M$ isnt losing money or something, and they charge to much for stuff, but its like your mad at them for giving you another product to choose from. if you dont like stay with your 5 year old os

11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wise up dude.. it aint the same XP now as when it first came out.. everybody dosnt hate the new operating system per se..

they hate the initial lack of driver support.. they hate having to buy new hardware to get the same performance.. and above all having gone thru all this several time before they hate having to do it a f-cking gain...

i hated XP when it first came out for exactly the same reasons i now hate vista.. i dont f-cking want it but know sooner or later i will be forced to have it..

trog

12. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just think about how huge a program windows is! And all the compatibility you have to keep making! People complain when they can't use all the old stuff, so they have to bloat the new windows's with alot of hacks to make old stuff work.. Wish they could begin from scratch.

13. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    uhh windows dosent make drivers for everything, because thats a responsibility that belongs to the hardware manufactuers

14. wolf2009 Guest

lets not turn this into a vista hate thread . lets look at the positive points of vista . that y i started this thread . i know it takes up 10 Gb of space on install but it is getting as fast as xp .

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The reason I don't like Vista is because they tried too hard to make it compatable with XP stuff. Just wait for Windows 7 when next to nothing will be compatable. I can't wait!:rockout:

16. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 will still be compatable with all or most of the old progams :)

17. devilhood

devilhood New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since building my new machine, I for one have never experienced a single Vista OS related BSOD or severe crash.
    Only two problems I have had is with my RAID array (POS Intel) and messing with a BETA Nvidia Forceware driver now and then. All in all, no love lost for M$ and certainly no wishes to switch back to XP; the performance gains, personally, would be negligible.

18. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    because its based on vista's kernal

19. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 is based on the MinWin Kernel, so its basicly from scratch.

20. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    i could have sworn otherwise. source?

21. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, dont have any. Its something i read and heard :) Maybe im wrong, but i know the minwin kernel is in windows 7

Edit: Just found this on wiki "A minimalistic variation of the Windows kernel, known as MinWin, is being developed for use in Windows 7."

22. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    here we have a world all ticking along most of it useing XP.. punters like us.. thow to some of us a PC is just an operating system with the odd game on.. some of us just have new virgin machines..

but to some of us and the worlds businesses change for the sake of f-cking change is a f-cking disaster.. it cost billions in lost man hours and productivity..

all for what.. the enrichment of MS.. come on dudes wake up.. children playing with a PC with bugger all on it aint really what matters here.. its the worlds businesses that get messed up having to changes huge quantities of machines just to keep the MS pigopolists at the trough and in charge..

we are talking a cost of billions.. for what.. "it sure looks pretty".. he he he

as for staying where i am.. i do for as long as its reasonably possible.. but after xxxx time the move has to be made like it or not.. the longer its left the less painfull it is thats all.. but its not a choice its something that eventually has to be done.. dx10 being vista only looks like my next forced move will be sooner than the last few forced moves i have made..

if it really was a choice i wouldnt mind in the slightest but it isnt.. the biggest kick in the teeth for me will be no new 3dmark without vista.. hence my new found vista hate period.. he he he

trog

23. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I think they should make an "enthusiast" version of vista e.g no windows aero and optimised to consume less resources although, vista caches that ram and a smaller installation size, you know just general improvements for gamers.

24. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    As sucky as this sounds it would probably be great if nothing was compatible. I think everything needs to start fresh, microsoft has too much legacy now.

25. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't mind if the hardware was compatible but programs I don't really care too much. Although that will make my games incompatible :(