1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

War Thunder - MMO Flight Sim

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShiBDiB, Aug 19, 2012.

1. red_stapler

red_stapler

Thanks Received:
    I'm sad that the PBY is so fragile now. A quick burst from as little as a pair of .30cal machine guns and the tail falls off.

2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    that thing used to be unkillable. Legit the only way to kill it was ramming and even that sometimes took 2 planes.

3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    yup

4. red_stapler

red_stapler

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, I think the balance has swung too far in the other direction though. I expect to have to hammer on a bomber (except for the G4M ;) ) at least a little bit to bring it down.

In other news, the P-36 Hawk is excellent, if a bit under-armed. I'm really enjoying flying it.

5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the PBY is virtually worthless now.

Is it just me or do planes seem to lumber more now with a full bomb compliment?

6. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    IMO all bombers are useless now. With new DM they are paper planes, their bomb splash radius was reduced and I have a feeling that AI gunners were nerfed a little.

And I'm a little baffled by new DM. It seems very easy now to shot down a plane with a "lucky" shot. And also I'm shot down very easy.
    But I'm not complaining too much because I'm a rookie pilot and maybe old DM was a little forgiving with players like me. :)

7. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    The new DM is much better. I always hated how much bombers could take in damage.
    Sure a bomber can take more damage than a fighter but they use to be flying super tanks and the rear gunners were crazy op.
    No longer can a bomber just ignore that they have someone on their tail and just wait for the gunner to kill them.

8. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    "bomb splash radius reduced"
    I am not amused, also ground forces seem to react to seeing an incoming bomber now they will break up and not move in a straight line.
    I am happy about the new DM some bombers like the AG20 where flying gun boxes with jet engines which made them incredibly hard to down unless you had like 3 people attacking at once

9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree with burebista, bombers have been nerfed too hard. The complaints that both of you make are pretty much historically accurate and more realistic than the gas soaked paper airplanes that exist as bombers in the game now. Hello? Bombers always ignored a fighter on it's tail, if it left formation it was doomed, and gunners made short work of any fighter that didn't attack by diving fast and flying through.

10. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    While the bomber bombs probably shouldn't be nerfed I still think the DM is way better. (machine guns might be doing a little to much damage but not cannons.)
    Also I should make more clear what I mean by the gunners on the bombers. It makes sense that if you stay behind it your engine gets shot out or your pilot does but my problem is I'll do a drive on a bomber and the gunner will hit me 1 time and wing or something is already complete black. I can get shot by all kinds of things 1-2 times and be alright and probably not take much damage unless its a cannon but for some reason bombers machine guns just **** me with 1 hit. This was before the patch haven't noticed it much not with 1.31

MT Alex says thanks.
  11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I can agree with a lot of that, cannons should tear bombers apart.

All in all, I was commenting the other night that it's pretty neat that a game of this caliber (no pun intended) is free. Between this game and Star Trek I really can't knock the free-to-play model - I haven't experienced any of the "pay-to-win" that naysayers like to harp on.

12. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    For me the only pay-to-win option in WT is crew skills. You can max it in a couple of clicks with golden eagles.
    And it matters. A lot.

But for me is not a big problem because my goal is to stay in middle/low tiers and for now paid-max-crew is not an obvious problem. :)

And about bombers. It hurts me a little because I've invested GE in XP conversion for increasing number of gunners otherwise until I train 4-5 new gunners on standard account I can easily be retired. :D

13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Crew helps allot yes, but buying your way in this game don't get you very far
    a good pilot wins out over anything else, the key is knowing what to go after with your plane as they all have strengths and weakness.

The hardest part for me was getting used to not turn fighting like modern jets do
    If you have the time these videos are really good
    War Thunder - Tutorial and Beginners Guides - YouT...
    The in game encyclopedia is also very helpful, if you guys have any questions or need help just ask, ive been playing for quite a while

burebista, erocker and MT Alex say thanks.
  14. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Those are a nice collection. This guy has a nice one that is short and sweet, and he is a very good narrator.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    erocker says thanks.
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's an excellent video. I generally practice what he explains in the video, however if you're starting off in a fighter or have a lack of bombs, I sometimes (depending on the map) like to fly in low and fast, take out as many ground targets (AAA, Artillery, Vehicles) as possible, then shoot up and gain some altitude and go for plane kills.

16. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. This is one of the things for that I like WT a lot: it rewards skill. You did nothing you receive nothing (literally). In WoT if you bot all the day you still gain some XP and credits. In WT you gain zero. Nada. Nothing.

Even I'm a rookie I highly praise this approach to reward players. :respect:

17. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I took a few screenshots through the replay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MT Alex says thanks.
  18. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    It looks like it would cost $14 to start a TPU Squadron, and I'm thinking about it, especially if it streamlined the somewhat clunky squad system.

19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Is there any way to pool out gold together?

I have created a TPU squadron.

Go to Menu, Squadrons and search for techPowerUp. Apply and I'll accept you in!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    MT Alex says thanks.
  20. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    There is also a $30 cover charge

21. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Exsssselent, I assumed you'd take the bait:laugh:

22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I already made a topic about this game and it was NOT good. It gets old fast. The game funnels you through random maps like we are in 1990.
    The whole thing is a pay to win, pay to play scam imo. You don't get what you pay for.
    Unless you consider promised of upcoming content that they will not deliver on, getting what you paid for..
    I am max level in like every country. The game is shallow and repetitive at best..
    At worst it is buggy and unreliable.
    Even hit detection can be worse than bad.
    The community though is what really turns me off for this game. So far all I have found is groups of immature adults who consistently do and say the dumbest shit.

DBD for example had their leaders agree to make hit list of people who made DBD mad. ( /cry louder why don't you) They then proceeded to try to make those peoples lives miserable by tracking them when they logged in and trying to sync drop them into aggravation, until they stopped playing.

The community is a joke and the game is a shallow shell.
    It will not become more than that because Gaijin is too busy milking the contentless game for every penny, with new "deals and bargains" every week.
    FTP? yea right..lol...
    Not touching this game ever again.
    I know all too well what games like this have in store for their paying customers.
    "As little as possible"

23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Idk... I really haven't spent a dime and I'm having fun with it. I also don't bother with "game communities".

24. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Go play MWO WOT or just about any other F2P game then say how bad this game is
    there is nothing pay to win about it.

25. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    I don't like how I can't pick domination only maps :(