1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling lead to cooler room temps?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Eric_Cartman, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    The apartment I live in has no air conditioning.

We are heading into Winter but my bedroom still gets extremely hot when I'm in there using my computer.

It has been pretty cool outside recently but my room has still been getting up into the 80s at night when I'm playing games on the computer.

If I turn my computer off during the day when I'm at school or work the temps drop down to very comfortable levels so I know it is the heat from my computer causing it.

But once I get home and start the computer back up it only takes an hour or two before the temps are back up again and I'm sweating my balls off.

Plus I'd like to get my machine folding again(I fold for a different team though sorry I started folding for them before I came here).:eek:

This weekend the temps went back up again outside into the high 80s and my room today is near 100.

So that got me thinking.

If I threw together a watercooling loop for my CPU and GPU to lower their temperatures would that help lower my room temperature?

If the computer is running cooler then my room should be cooler too right?

2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Water will not give you lower temps in that high ambient temperature's, plus a rad kicks off alot of heat. Tip go buy an A/C window unit. Im sure ya can hit wally mart and get a small one really cheap this time of the year, oh it be cheaper then water cooling your rig.. :)

Eric_Cartman says thanks.
  3. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    What is the point of Watercooling if it won't lower temps?

I thought about a window air conditioner first but it turns out they are against our lease.

I called the landlord to ask and he said he is concerned it would damage the window and overload the wiring.

I understand the wiring excuse since the house is old and I've blown a fuse just having my computer on while running a vacuum in my room but the window thing sounds totally lame.

Either way a window air conditioner unit is out of the question.:cry:

4. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Get a room AC unit. They sit on the floor, my boss uses one in his office.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    why move in to a place with no ac :slap:

but water cooling would just help with load temps and not keep the room cooler

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Watercooling isn't going to solve your problem. High ambient temperatures are bad for trying to get your components cool.

You could always look into TEC coolers, but that will heat your room up even more. Take care of the room's temperature, or buy cooler running hardware.

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Water cooling will carry heat away from whats being cooled faster, but in the end all the heat being taken away from the CPU/GPU, or what have you is still being dumped into the room when the heat is exchanged between the RAD and the surrounding air. The components run cooler, but the room is still hot :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I say screw the lan lord! A small A/C unit wont blow fuses and WONT piss on the window frame. I think he's hiding something, By chance, is he paying the hydro bill? :wtf:

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Duct the hot air out the window with Dryer hose :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    ITT: Bad physics.

Watercooling keeps your components cooler. It does this by dissipating the heat into the room more effectivley.

Whatever cooling you use, the heat output of your PC remains the same. The actual CPU might be hotter or cooler, but the total amount of energy released does not change, it is just distributed differently.

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, depending on airflow, it might make your room cooler than if it was NOT under water. Effectively, you remove the same heat, however, with proper airflow, the heat stored in the exhaust air will be less per cubic foot.(say 50c exhaust aircooled, and 40c under water)

This is part of my problem...my stuff runs hot in summer, as there isn't enough airflow in the pc room.

12. blibba

blibba

Thanks Received:
    You're suggesting that water cooling will simply spread out the heat between a larger volume of air, thus creating large areas of hot air as opposed to smaller areas of very hot air in the room?

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Basically, yes. If the air in the room is stagnant, no, it's not going to matter, but if you get the airflow mix right, it might give lower temps overall, as the heat can be spread over a larger volume of air. You just need to be able to get all that air out of the room.

There's a alot of factors to consider. If the chip is cooler, it might leak less, leading to lower power consumption, and that alone may lead to a cooler room. Typically though, under water, we up clocks...negating that benefit. But there is a very clear reason as to why we can clock better with better cooling, and it's not just all about moving heat more effectively.

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Water cooling will definitely yeild lower temperatures on whatever is being cooled regardless of ambient temps.

It will still heat up your room though.

15. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, tough to say. Assuming that the power consumption (and hence, heat production) stays the same, I think its going to be too close to matter much. Hot components generally take in more power because the resistance in the circuit is higher, but on the other hand, a water pump is going to produce much more heat than a plain fan+heatsink. Your call. I believe the only solution is to shift the rig out of the room or downclock the processor to reduce the power consumption. All my thoughts, so correct me if i am wrong.

Eric_Cartman and blibba say thanks.
  16. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still a little confused though.

If the parts are running cooler doesn't that mean they are putting out less heat?

I mean if the processor is putting out 120F with air and only 80F with water won't that mean my room will only be 80F?

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    yes/no.

the same amount of heat is being moved...it's just being removed faster, so each component, while having the resemblance of being cooler-operating, really isn't. It's just the sensors get less wasted energy.

And i tihnk i'm full of it here, so i'll STFU.

18. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    There are quite a few more factors in this equation not yet considered.

A simple idea is that a hotter computer makes a room hotter.

Does a cooler computer lead to a cooler room?

Perhaps, it seems like you live in a tin box that is very much affected by heat. How does it handle cool?

$150 for a watercooling loop to cool your computer's components or $150(or less) for a personal air conditioner unit that can cool the entire room; that is your decision.

19. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    can you not open the window?

20. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Youd still have a hot room XD. Not unless you have a strong pump and long tubes, place the rad beside the window, and blow the heat dumped into the rad outside the window.

21. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Does a heater with a fan blowing on it not heat up a room ?

22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what watercooling does is MOVE the heat away from the heat source quickly. typically into a radiator where a large surface area (larger than a normal cpu heatsink) can dissipate it. something warming up is just caused by the inability of the heat to quickly spread to a cooler area. the more heat you remove, the cooler your components will be (up to ambient temperature, because heat flows from warm to cold)

again: the watercooling loop just moves the heat, you can not magically make it disappear.

since your computer's power draw = heat output will remain constant, the room temperature will not change from going to watercooling - unless you use watercooling to move the heat outside of the room for example.

23. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    I get it now.

The same amount of heat is still be produced but it is being moved away from the computer faster.

So the same amount of heat will still be put into the room.

Hmm...

I like that idea of put rad outside the room though maybe I'll work with that a little.

24. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    in any form of cooling you use(except piezoelectric whizz stuff, or magic) the ambient air(the room air in most cases) is where the heat of the computer is dissipated to. water cooling and air-cooling are two mere form of dissipation.

get a custom AC built into your CPU. there will be huge amounts of condensation so, pack bags of silicon gel and seal the whole thing!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  25. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received: