1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling parts help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by springs113, Aug 15, 2014.

1. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I have some spare parts and I want to build another computer...I need the following as I am thinking to do my very first fully custom loop.

Any recommendations and why on the following...
    1. Pump?
    2. Cpu block?
    3. Rad?
    4.Fittings?(brand)

1. I was thinking about purchasing a Swiftech H220x as this would be the most cost effective but I don't know. But if I don't I was thinking the likes of Swiftechs MCP50X or the MCP35X
    2. I like the new Swiftech Apogee XL but I'm willing to consider others.
    3. I was looking into the Black Ice Nemesis 240/360 GTS/GTX rads.
    4. I always used EK but their fittings tend to strip(outside).

All this will be going into my Obsidian 750D. I will be sorta downsizing my new build into this one.

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you want to spend in the end and your new system specs (Ill assume its going to be roughly the same as your listed specs).

Normally when it comes to pumps, I prefer swiftech and I use the Swiftech MCP655 variable speed and its a dream to use and quiet to boot.

As far as the rads go, normally the Black ice series is viewed as the pinnacle of radiators and cooling but I use XSPC Rads because of the bundle kits and the price. Either way you will be satisfied but if price is not a concern the black ice series is top dog at least to me.

CPU block comes down to many different brands and some just become more of an opinion which is overall better. Personally speaking I use a Raystorm from XSPC and I enjoy its performance, looks, and design. I plan to use one in the next upgrade I do in September.

Fittings again is relative as in reality I see not much of a difference between brand to brand in terms of performance. Normally I just pick the ones with the kit or that fit a good budget and sound like they are going to have great reliability. I use the XSPC Nickel G1/4 thread compression fittings (I prefer compression) and in all honesty they worked great, easy to work with, and look very clean.

T-Bob says thanks.
  3. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will be very similar to the PC specs listed.
    The MCP35x/50x are the new ones and everything that I have read or saw gives them great praises.
    I have an XSPC 120 rad in a box somewhere, in my current rig I am using the nexxxos ut45(420mm) from alphacool , 360mm black ice nemesis xflow, and the 240mm from the h220x. I don't want to spend too much money but I want the best back for the buck.
    I love the Apogee XL and in fact it cools better than the pump that came with the h220, not to mention being able to customize the blocks emitted light color. Are you planning to go to broadwell?
    I definitely want compression fittings but I guess they come afterwards, once I select the other pieces.

4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I have heard that new Swiftech H220X is a pretty great device and can be a great bang for buck but all I have to go on are a few reviews as I have not seen one in person yet.

If you can reuse as much as possible, I would say do that as rads do not go bad very fast anymore (Err corrode whatever especially considering the brands you chose already are excellent).

No im planning on going Haswell-E 5930K next month (Purchasing on 29th).

Compression fittings for me just feel better and look better IMHO. I used the old barbs which are just fine but the look of compression and the feel as its a little more secure especially if the PC moves. Still more of an opinion honestly as both sides could be argued for.

5. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    A rad itself doesn't corrode. It's the steel plating on an old rad that goes crap. Besides, that's not an usual case. It's usually the blocks that oxidate or corrode.

As for the fittings, Bitspower compression fittings FTW.

6. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I have the h220 kit itself, I also have the new one(220x) but that would not let me do a custom build well maybe if i use the 220 it wouldn't. I do want to do totally custom however but it looks like the 220x purchase would be best all around bang for the buck.

7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Either way it was just worth mentioning that newer radiators do not contain the same issue in more cases than naught.

Well the 220-X variant can be modified to your own ideas (Including an extra rad and video card) but I would not push it to far. I would think 1 more video card and radiator would be more than fine for one of those if you want to keep budget friendly. Otherwise I would say just grab the parts you want and build from scratch. Just also think about if you would prefer an bay reservoir or an internal one and then work from their. The 750D is great for watercooling and easy to work with using tubing routes and what not.

8. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Why bitspower there must be a reason you say that and I would like to know

I have added to both the h220 and h220x..I currently have a little issue bleeding out the air in the h220x set up but I was thinking of getting the block separate and use my current ek x3 res (cylinder).

9. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    Bitspowers are regarded as some of the best fittings around mainly because of their rigidness and looks, I personally have a bunch of them however because of idiotically losing the barbs of my res after opening it up I could never get to use them.

manofthem and T-Bob say thanks.
  10. Breew New Member

Thanks Received:
    well if your looking for a inexpensive pump i went with this, and now have it in 4 builds .. ie 4 seperate puters. it needs a 1/2 g to 1/4g adaptor from PPC but there cheap and work good..also got some cheap isolators to stop the slight buzz in my case and now its sound is drowned out by the ps fan.. heres the link. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSZ3CFA/?tag=tec06d-20 this is the pump i use now as the cost is much better , its been a 24/7 pump on 2 units the other 2 are gaming rigs. Happy with it and will be using it again.. <have it in 4 other builds i did for folk and none are newer then 5 months.. most are over a year and still strong.
    oh get a molex and a couple of pins too it comes bare tale. but for the price it pumps like a little deamon. love Bitpower too but tend to use more xspc stuff. seem to work better for what i needed...

11. springs113

Thanks Received:
    All great ideas but I think I am going with a swiftech pump...just don't know about the res being mounted ontop...can I use any cylinder res or only a swiftech?

12. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:

I agree with this completely! Having used a bunch of different compression fittings from several different companies, Bitspower is the good stuff. I've cheaped out before on fittings, but I won't do it again. Yeah, BP is more expensive but it's worth it, but if you can find some used f8ttings and save some $, that's not a bad idea.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    that pump is very high wattage. you can probably get cooler temps using a pumpof the same flow rate but lower wattage. but if your happy with it thats all that really matters.

14. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Isn't it rated @ just about the same as all the high profile ones?

15. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    It's the head pressure that matters more for performance, not flow rate. The pump that doesn't seem to have a brand has way more head pressure than a MCP655, so I'd expect it to perform better. However while being rated at 40db I'd also expect it to be loud.

One doesn't need a very powerful pump unless going for jazz like tri-way setups. A simple MCP355 is sufficient for most.

16. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    well some of them if they were running at 24v sure.. maybe im wrong though 28w seems quite a lot for a 12v pump. id expect a 24v pump to be like 35w max.. so for 1/2 the power to be at that many watts i dunno,
    maybe im just a bit picky about the wattage.

17. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever actually done a water cooling build? No, I'm not talking about your dinky AIO.

springs113 says thanks.
  18. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    to fill the main questions

Any recommendations and why on the following...
    1. Pump?

Depends on your Budget and Room in the Case, u could get a Laing DDC and add a different Top for your fittings and better flow

[​IMG] [​IMG]

or Laing D5 (there are alternative models from xspc, alphacool)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cpu block?

There are quite few out there, i´ll preffer EK

EK Supreme-HF
    [​IMG]

3. Rad?

Also Depends on Budget and Room, size (120,280,360....)
    i have quite good Results with Magicool Rads, and on my other Rig i use HardwareLabs Extreme Rads

4.Fittings?(brand)

Well Bitspower are one of the finest parts you can get here , but they are way to expensive.
    and it depends on your needs size in Inch, ID, ankles, straight, adapters.....

Koolance, EK, Bitspower, XSPC, Alphacool, Danger Den.........

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    MxPhenom 216 and HammerON say thanks.
  19. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    I dont have an aio. try looking at specs?
    and i started water cooling in the 90's so been doing it on and off a while..
    ---

if its not a restrictive loop id get a Laing DDC
    if it is a restrictive loop id get the d5

20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I guess you got rid of the crappy Silverstone AIO you got or whatever and did real water like everyone said to do.

I don't see how you can say to get a D5 for restrictive loops, when the DDC pumps like MCP350/355/35X/50X have more head pressure. D5 might offer overall more flow out of the box, but lack in head pressure department.

I would think if you have done water cooling for as long as you said you have, that you would know that.

springs113 says thanks.
  21. springs113

Thanks Received:
    First off I've got a 750D which fedex just dropped off and a 900D...Ample space for whatever endeavors i feel to get into lol.
    1. When it comes to the pump I have been taking notes and seem to like the xspc vario 5 and the new swiftechs mcp35/50x. Money is not really an issue but I do want to maximize my performance for the price.

2. I think I'm going use my Apogee XL that came with the h220x.

3. I've got plenty of rads but I may pick up one more black ice, either a 360gtx or 240 gtx.

4. I have used EK with almost all of my builds...but Bitspower have the color combinations

22. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    the d5 can run on 24v.. at 12v its lower pressure higher wattage. but at 24v. it can do 16ft head at 5.5Gpm that's 6 feet more head. at around the same flow rate..
    your penalty is 30w on the pump though. (thats only 6w more than the ddc at 12v though)
    didnt think i would have to explain that to be honest with you.

and as for my setup.
    Like i said at the time my case couldn't handle a water cooling set up. so i had to buy a new case.
    so when I had the cash I went and bought a new one...

and it is like it used to be to be fair.
    you need a lot more space and fluid in your system than you should need. But it is better..

and aio's are much better than i thought they would be.
    and to be fair with the silverstone. it did cool pretty well, but with that little fluid in it it would need a miracle to dissipate the heat out of a heavy over clock.

23. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:

to be honest , the 750D

[​IMG]

has plently of room to add a 360, 280, 120 in push/pull even with 2 loops since u can detach all the hdd cages in front without using dremel.......
    i was thinking of getting a 750D for my project but headed for the lian li
    my opinion is, having more fluid and a good fluid type in the system keeps the overall temps lower and you don´t need to run your fans at higher RPM since it takes longer to heat it all up

asking for pump, rad, waterblocks and forcing to go on a AIO Set is kinda weird dude.

take a look at my R.O.G Project Log there you´ll see how it could be done ( no advertising)

24. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    i bought a haf 922 in the end which annoys me becaue it needs to be about an inch taller and 2 inches longer to fit it all like i wanted too.
    now i have to use 12mm thick fans to the top 240 so it clears the ram clips.
    and i have to mount a 120 on the 3.5 drive bays instead of the rear exhaust fan space..
    It fits though so not all that bad.

also i set up with this many rads because it was the only way to get as much rad space in the case, so i can keep my fan speeds at or below 60% even when running ibt.
    (still annoyed that not a single review mentioned that it needed to be an inch taller and 2 inches longer, and all said it fits well)

25. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Probably stupid question but how do you run it at 24v? If I were to run a D5 I'd just get the pump alone with pwm and then get an ek performance top with threaded holes for fittings or the photon reservoir. But I prefer the DDC pumps because they are smaller, take up less space so you have more ways of mounting them.

Still recommend @springs113 to get mcp50x