• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weirdest G-sync Compatible Problem, help needed!

rcmo

Hello,

I got some strange problems with G-sync compatible displays on two different systems.

System 1 PC :
RTX 3080 ti
i9 9900k
32 GB of Ram
NVME drive 2TB
Gsync compatible Monitor
Windows 11

System 2 Laptop
RTX 4060
AMD Ryzen 5 7535HS
16GB Ram
NMVE drive 500GB
Gsync compatible Display
Windows 11

So, I usually cap my framerate using either RivaTurner or Nvidia CP to 40fps when playing singleplayer games. I just dont mind 40fps cap to get stable 4k framerates. However many games work flawlessly and smoothly without any stuttering, but some games I get terrible stuttering even though my fps is rock solid 40. As mentioned above im playing on Gsync compatible display on both system. However, I do have a gsync monitor as well on my PC. And there is a zero issue there, which led me to believe it's the Gsync / vrr problem.

Couple things i noticed while trying to pinpoint the issue :

-First one being as i mentioned above is that this is NOT happening on my G-sync native display, but is happening on G-sync compatible displays.

-Also this is only happening when frame rate is near 40fps cap (but still above). That's why is stuttering happening when i'm in more demanding areas. When in less demanding areas stuttering disappears (possibly because fps goes above lets say 47-50 fps). Keep in mind that my fps is capped at 40 and never goes below. So my first thought was that VRR range is from 50 fps. So I try to cap on 50 fps or even 52, then reduce graphics settings to maintain stable fps over 52. However there comes stuttering in demanding areas again even though fps is stable 52, in less demanding areas stuttering is basically non existent. Also worth noting is that GPU usage is high when stuttering occurs above 88% usually (i guess that's because more demanding areas).

- That being said, funny thing is thou that gameplay is smooth as butter when I uncap fps no matter if i'm in demanding areas or not (apart from usual fps fluctuation depending on area i'm in). Yeah i guess possible solution would be uncapping the frame. But that's not ideal either as I'm used to locked fps.

- Also forget to mention, super weird but gameplay feels very smooth when fps goes under 40fps cap, lets say 37. It feels as smooth as uncapped. So stutters only when fps is 40.

Some games that stuttering above is happening:
- Horizon Forbidden West
- AC Mirage
- Alan Wake 2
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Far Cry 6
- Starfield
- Fallout 4

Some games that are buttery smooth 100% of the time:
- Last of Us part 1
- Lies of P
- Elden Ring
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Dishonored 2
- Dying Light 2

I did sooo many things to resolve the issue without any luck. Ive tried all usual settings in Nvidia Control Panel, some windows settings and so on. Tried many combos from Nvidia Control Panel without avail. I did not try to change things in Bios that much as i'm not really aware what different settings does.

So if you have some advice I have not tried, I would gladly hear it.

Last edited:
System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
What’s the model of the display? And yeah, might be that the VRR implementation on the particular screen is just not great. That would explain why the native GSync screen works fine while the compatible one does not. Is that compatible screen even on NVidias verified list?
Frankly, I would just not bother capping to 40 if I were you. It’s counterproductive, the whole point of VRR is making sure that even a fluctuating framerate is still smooth. Either don’t bother with the cap at all apart from the one imposed by VSync being Globally On in the NVCP (VRR is actually meant to be used like that) or cap in-game/in CP to 3-5 frames below the refresh maximum. There isn’t actually any benefit in a low hard cap. Only reason to ever face one is if the game is locked to, for example, 60 FPS in-engine with no way to avoid it.

rcmo

The one on Laptop in not sure. But the PC screen is a TV C9 Oled, confirmed to be G-sync compatible.

I understand that the solution would be to not cap the framerate, but man im so used to 40fps capped, doing it for many years.
I even dare to say i like 40fps cap more in single player games more than even 60 fps. I know sounds dumb, but 40fps feels more cinematic to me. Also i cant stand fluctuating fps...

What’s the model of the display? And yeah, might be that the VRR implementation on the particular screen is just not great. That would explain why the native GSync screen works fine while the compatible one does not. Is that compatible screen even on NVidias verified list?
Frankly, I would just not bother capping to 40 if I were you. It’s counterproductive, the whole point of VRR is making sure that even a fluctuating framerate is still smooth. Either don’t bother with the cap at all apart from the one imposed by VSync being Globally On in the NVCP (VRR is actually meant to be used like that) or cap in-game/in CP to 3-5 frames below the refresh maximum. There isn’t actually any benefit in a low hard cap. Only reason to ever face one is if the game is locked to, for example, 60 FPS in-engine with no way to avoid it.
Also forget to mention, super weird but gameplay feels very smooth when fps goes under 40fps cap, lets say 37. It feels as smooth as uncapped. So stutters only when fps is 40.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I even dare to say i like 40fps cap more in single player games more than even 60 fps. I know sounds dumb, but 40fps feels more cinematic to me.
I am not even going to open that can of worms.

Also i cant stand fluctuating fps...
The whole point of VRR is to mitigate adverse effects of fluctuating FPS. Capping framerate this low for no practical reason and then running into problems while using VRR when it’s expressly not ideal for this scenario is… a thing. Hell, if you really must I would advise instead of using VRR you use Fast Vsync in the CP if you insist on caping to 40. Or go even further and create a custom resolution via CRU with a 40Hz refresh (might behave weirdly though) and cap to that. I mean, you obviously are a connoisseur of strange.

rcmo

Sorry but what i meant is that i cant stand having like 70fps in some areas and then like 45 in demanding area all of sudden, which will happen on uncapped fps even is vrr is on.