• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the point of high end graphics cards?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
You buy a high end card if you want your game to look better than Supermario SNES

bit of a far off exaggeration no?

Console port is a console port, and nothing is gonna make the game look any better unless the devs included additional coding to make it look sexier and more optimised but then again that wouldnt be a console port would it??

going by your example. if Super Mario was ported to the PC from the SNES are you saying it would look as good as crysis just because i have one/two $600 or $800 GPU(s)?

I think not.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I hate to break it to you, but some people actually hold the opinion that crysis graphics are superior to Supermario.
I hate to break it to you, but I played Crysis on my P4 3Ghz, X1950Pro rig at 1200x900, with Med Shaders, Shadows, Particles, and Max Textures, and got plenty playable frame rates. The res also looked fine on the 20" monitor I had at the time, minimal jaggies. The only thing I really turned down other than that was Post Processing. Most of the things that are resource hogs in that game (and many others) have more to do with effects you choose or not choose to use, vs actual sharpness of image quality.

Whether it be the blur and bloom of post processing, the heavy color washing haze of ambient occlusion on high shaders, the barely noticeable soft edges of shadows on high, or the slightly denser particle count of smoke/dust on high, a lot of settings in games have zero to do with actual texture res and sharpness. The only very slight tradeoffs were I didn't get HDR due to using Med vs High Shaders, but there are few scenes in Crysis where the HDR is noticeable enough to put up with the constant haze of the ambient occlusion lighting when it's set to High. Other than that, I didn't get God rays, but GRs in that game are sparse and overrated really.

I was using tweaks in Crysis that gave better than max texture quality and got plenty playable frame rates on all but two levels of the game, where I got noticeable lag, but mainly if I didn't use stealth. I used just 3 tweaks too. A couple were ones I found on TweakGuides, two I came up with on my own. One was to set Object Quality at Low but with the benefit of High draw distance, so there was no noticeable pop-in or blurred textures as with default Low OQ. Object Quality in that game has zero to do with quality of object textures. It mainly determines the number of some objects (like small beach rocks), LOD parameters (which I fixed with my tweak), and break-ability and movement of distant foliage, distant mind you.

I also came up with a way to adjust distance of detail textures on distant peaks to a minimal amount without the closer cliffs looking blurry as you approach them, yet the med distance peaks looked sharper than default just by turning texture streaming off. The two combined actually look better than default high textures, with less performance hit, and you only need a reasonable amount of RAM to disable texture streaming without performance loss.

Since buying a new rig I have tried pretty much all of the Crysis graphics features on higher settings and I settled on settings much closer to what I originally had on my prior rig than max. I did of course bump res up a bit, and I don't have to employ the tweaks anymore, but for the most part I still prefer sharper unwashed textures to all that effect garbage. Crysis is a game where they lumped too many graphics features together, vs allowing you to pick and choose each one piecemeal. Some won't even disable individually via their available command. For instance it doesn't actually work to set Shaders to High and turn AOL off via a command.

In short, you give FAR too much credit to developers to say all or even most games look best on max settings. Most of them, CryTek included, can't even make decent working commands to tweak them properly. Granted there are a lot of commands for Crysis, but many don't actually work. I could go on and on regarding the sad state of game development lately. Overuse of bloom and blur, frame drops even on high end rigs where certain shading and lighting is used, texture pop-ins, etc, etc. There's SO many poorly made/ported PC games anymore, and high end GPUs and max settings are no escape from it.

All it really takes to get what the OP is saying is a little ingenuity and common sense in picking settings and/or using tweaks, and acknowledgement of how poorly most PC games are made anymore. It's really bizarre to hear an ATI fanboy make an extremely exaggerated elitist comment like you did about Super Mario, because if anything, it's usually ATI fans that accuse Nvidia and their customers of being elitists. ATI aren't even the value leaders anymore. They used to have all these customers that bought into the simple mentality of cheap cards and lower settings and/or lesser features, or multiple cheap cards, despite Xfire not working consistently as well as SLI. Now some of them are desperately trying to be elitist snobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
2560x1600 is my reason why. 1920x1080 and under I agree with you mostly. You need to base your Video Card off your display capabilities or vice versa.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Display res AND settings preferences. Too many people assume we all like some of the effects max settings entail, and sadly, many PC games don't have a lot of options to lower or disable them anymore.

One setting I DO enable more often lately though is Vsync. Since switching to an LCD display, I have found that if you don't use it in some games, you don't get nearly as smooth a picture.

Uninvited

System Name Ipad, generation 1
Processor A4
Motherboard Apple
Cooling Passive
Memory ??
Video Card(s) LOL
Storage 32gig
I hate to break it to you, but I played Crysis on my P4 3Ghz, X1950Pro rig at 1200x900, with Med Shaders, Shadows, Particles, and Max Textures, and got plenty playable frame rates. The res also looked fine on the 20" monitor I had at the time, minimal jaggies. The only thing I really turned down other than that was Post Processing. Most of the things that are resource hogs in that game (and many others) have more to do with effects you choose or not choose to use, vs actual sharpness of image quality.

Whether it be the blur and bloom of post processing, the heavy color washing haze of ambient occlusion on high shaders, the barely noticeable soft edges of shadows on high, or the slightly denser particle count of smoke/dust on high, a lot of settings in games have zero to do with actual texture res and sharpness. The only very slight tradeoffs were I didn't get HDR due to using Med vs High Shaders, but there are few scenes in Crysis where the HDR is noticeable enough to put up with the constant haze of the ambient occlusion lighting when it's set to High. Other than that, I didn't get God rays, but GRs in that game are sparse and overrated really.

I was using tweaks in Crysis that gave better than max texture quality and got plenty playable frame rates on all but two levels of the game, where I got noticeable lag, but mainly if I didn't use stealth. I used just 3 tweaks too. A couple were ones I found on TweakGuides, two I came up with on my own. One was to set Object Quality at Low but with the benefit of High draw distance, so there was no noticeable pop-in or blurred textures as with default Low OQ. Object Quality in that game has zero to do with quality of object textures. It mainly determines the number of some objects (like small beach rocks), LOD parameters (which I fixed with my tweak), and break-ability and movement of distant foliage, distant mind you.

I also came up with a way to adjust distance of detail textures on distant peaks to a minimal amount without the closer cliffs looking blurry as you approach them, yet the med distance peaks looked sharper than default just by turning texture streaming off. The two combined actually look better than default high textures, with less performance hit, and you only need a reasonable amount of RAM to disable texture streaming without performance loss.

Since buying a new rig I have tried pretty much all of the Crysis graphics features on higher settings and I settled on settings much closer to what I originally had on my prior rig than max. I did of course bump res up a bit, and I don't have to employ the tweaks anymore, but for the most part I still prefer sharper unwashed textures to all that effect garbage. Crysis is a game where they lumped too many graphics features together, vs allowing you to pick and choose each one piecemeal. Some won't even disable individually via their available command. For instance it doesn't actually work to set Shaders to High and turn AOL off via a command.

In short, you give FAR too much credit to developers to say all or even most games look best on max settings. Most of them, CryTek included, can't even make decent working commands to tweak them properly. Granted there are a lot of commands for Crysis, but many don't actually work. I could go on and on regarding the sad state of game development lately. Overuse of bloom and blur, frame drops even on high end rigs where certain shading and lighting is used, texture pop-ins, etc, etc. There's SO many poorly made/ported PC games anymore, and high end GPUs and max settings are no escape from it.

All it really takes to get what the OP is saying is a little ingenuity and common sense in picking settings and/or using tweaks, and acknowledgement of how poorly most PC games are made anymore. It's really bizarre to hear an ATI fanboy make an extremely exaggerated elitist comment like you did about Super Mario, because if anything, it's usually ATI fans that accuse Nvidia and their customers of being elitists. ATI aren't even the value leaders anymore. They used to have all these customers that bought into the simple mentality of cheap cards and lower settings and/or lesser features, or multiple cheap cards, despite Xfire not working consistently as well as SLI. Now some of them are desperately trying to be elitist snobs.

to be fair, the reason devs dont really tweak or optimize often is the result of their alloted budget and time restraints. When you get a budget, you have your lead platform, often a console, and the rest falls in line from that budget. Sure, its great when they get a good budget for the pc or make it the head platform, but you have investors to think about, publisher big wigs to answer to and never enough time. Then you have marketing...like Crytek marketing dx10 because microsoft and Nvidia paid thier contributions for obvious reasons, just like lobbying in politics.

The bigger you get as a developer, the less say so you have. Been there
Please try to keep those things in mind when discussion arises. From your pricey hardware, to your OS and your software, its all a big market to get your wallet, everyone wants a piece and its hard to impossible to say, screw the market, im gonna make a multi million dollar open world game without any outside influences...if they each dont get their piece of control they will see to it, your failure. Like wallstreet, you have to play by the rules and its never fair

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
to be fair, the reason devs dont really tweak or optimize often is the result of their alloted budget and time restraints.

Prime example...CoD

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
I do care about Ultra settings. I kinda hate it when I can max out a game and one of those games have been Crysis. That is the only reason why I keep on going high end of graphics cards. Plus each new generation gets more energy efficient

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
It's max settings or gtfo...lol