1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who uses Avast Antivirus?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Black Panther, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a small issue with Avast. Anyone who uses it knows that in the taskbar you have that round blue thing which indicates that the AV is functioning while online.
    Well, mine isn't there any more. If I remember correctly it vanished after I ran CCleaner but I'm not sure.

I checked the running processes and the services from the control panel. Everything seems OK unless I'm missing something out.

I even removed and reinstalled Avast from scratch and that symbol didn't return either.

I'm worried the pc isn't sufficiently protected this way.

Any clues on what I might be missing out?

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I us it and we sell it at work. I have seen this issue many times on badly infected systems. Have you used Hijackthis to get rid of unnecessary startup items? I would uninstall Avast, reboot, get rid of crap with Hijackthis, clean up your system with 3S Security Suite http://www.igorshpak.net/software/3ssetup104.zip, reboot, and try reinstalling. If this still doesn't work I would highly recommend running the Windows Live Scan and just doing a full scan(nice free utility and if Microsoft fuks up your registry then I don't know which utility to trust anymore) http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah/?s_cid=sah.

Hope this helps you out and good luck!

Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Uhh thanks for the links but my system isn't infected at all (let alone badly infected) :) (btw I'm speaking about my main rig not my dad's laptop here, avast works fine on dad's laptop ironically).

I'm not sure if this happened after running CCleaner or some other registry program. What I remember is that I was experimenting with some of the 'tools' programs on the UBCD4Win and bam the little rotating globe vanished. :confused:

4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Didn't mean to assume yours was infected just saying that has been the only time I have seen this issue occur at work. Maybe CCCleaner removed a much needed startup item from Avast. I hope some of the above info can help you out. If you open Avast does it give you any errors?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Once opened it functions well, gives me no errors.
    I have to update manually though, because normally it updated as soon as I got online and now I've realised it isn't doing it any more.

Do you mean that apart from the automatic updates the program isn't functioning well the way it is now on my pc?

Can you tell if all the necessary Avast processes are running in my system?

[​IMG]

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya i know whats wrong.....the icon cache i think isnt loading this happened when i had xp on my machine its a simple fix

ok first...right click on your task bar and go to properties. go to notification menu tab and click customize. make sure avast isnbt "hide always"

if thats good go to your start menu and start up avast. after avast is started go to settings and make sure the tray icon is enabled..if thats all good it time to do what i did and whip out the big guns.

ok now you may have to work with me here as i dont quite remember but you into your avast volder on C: and just drag and drop ashdisp.exe to you startup folder..than reboot if it doesnt work let me know and well try another exe i think its ashdisp though im pretty sure :) hope that helps

Black Panther says thanks.
  7. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! I got it back.

[​IMG]

(In fact, Ashdisp wasn't in my task manager in my previous post).

8. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    w0ot cool glad it worked which method did you use?

ahhh ok saw your edit ya i thought it was ashdisp it stands for display i bealive and it handles all that :)

9. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I tried all your suggestions but only the last one worked.
    I had to create a shortcut for it in the startup folder and upon reboot everything was fine again.

10. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    cool good good ya thats what i had to do when it happned to me put ashdisp in the startupfolder :)

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Case in point why I've stopped using automated "cleaners" for my PC. For years I never used them, never had problems. Recently I thought I'd give them a try, and the problems start happening. Anyways, anything starting with "ash" in the task manager is related to Avast. Avast is a great free program.:toast:

12. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Avast 4.8 is great with the added anti-spyware and anti-rootkit. Still free!

13. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I have 4.8

Are the anti-spyware and anti-rootkit incorporated or do I have to get them from somewhere? (Nevermind I checked their site, it's incorporated)

jonmcc33 right now it's using 60,000K in task manager, total for all the 'ash' programs. While gaming I turn it off though.

14. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have the u version on my thumbdrive.

15. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    'u' version?

16. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ashDisp.exe 1004K
    ashMaiSv.exe 692K
    ashServ.exe 7096K
    ashWebSv.exe 3116K
    aswUpdSv.exe 216K

That's just under 12MB physical memory used and even in a rig with 1GB RAM that isn't going to be "a lot" of resources at all. :p

I game with it on myself, never have issues.